Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Handle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Handle Issue

I recently purchased a 13 Lariat 4 door 4WD that I love. I have the pearl white color and my door handles are pearl white as well, which I like. The dealership replaced one that was warped with a chrome door handle. After pointing this out, they said they would paint it for me to match. I was told by the dealership that all handles come chrome and they paint them to match the body color. Does this sound right to you? I'm concerned about flaking, chipping, etc. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:07 AM

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts

First off they knew what they did you can't miss something like that replacing it. Secondly no way I'd make em order me a proper one paint wont take the beating.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

sounds strange to me... I would go online to ford parts and look it up,,, I know it drives me crazy looking something up because you have to go through all the different colors for almost everything! So they are telling you that when they are painting your truck at the factory that they have a really small robot off to the side painting your handles??
Old 11-16-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

no way, the handles come painted from the factory. If there gonna paint it for you, I would be ok as long as they warranty there work. Talk to body shop and ask how long they warranty the handle from chipping/flaking. they should cover as long as manuf, covers the OEM paint.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Well there may be truth to this matter! I looked it up I did find a oxford white but nothing pearl white and also found where is said *paint to match* so I guess it is good to go,,,, However, the one(s) that said paint to match were about 100 bucks and the ones that had colors were 10 bucks more but mentioned chrome strap. So the question is as we all wonder is painting over the chrome vs having them get the one that says Paint to match and have that painted. I think I would suggest to have them order the one that says paint to match and have them paint the whole think since it doesn't mention anything about a chrome strap!
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Paint to match handles come from Ford painted in gray primer for painting to the correct color. I very doubt that the paint would stay on for long if it was painted over the chrome. Now if they removed the chrome off, it would be a different story. Sounds like they ordered the wrong handle and are trying to make it work instead of sending it back and losing 25% of the cost to return it to Ford.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by cheeseburger
I recently purchased a 13 Lariat 4 door 4WD that I love. I have the pearl white color and my door handles are pearl white as well, which I like. The dealership replaced one that was warped with a chrome door handle. After pointing this out, they said they would paint it for me to match. I was told by the dealership that all handles come chrome and they paint them to match the body color. Does this sound right to you? I'm concerned about flaking, chipping, etc. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Pretty much agree with SUPERLOOP.

The dealership messed up. Period. I work at a Ford dealer body shop as a painter. PTM handles come in grey/black primer. Ready for paint. I paint then all the time. They got you a chrome one? And say they have to paint the chrome? Then why didn't they paint it before they put it on? Because its the wrong handle. That's BS!!!

First i didn't know that they had all chrome OEM handles for 09+f150's. I only know them like this...xl/STX's have all black textured. XLT's have black texture with chrome pull. Fx4's are all painted. Lariats and platinum's have painted with chrome pulls. I only know of the stick on chrome crap, but maybe I'm wrong. The only chrome part i know of on the handles that's OEM is the pull. Maybe someone can clarify me on that.

Second, (I'm not saying you should let them do this, but) you can paint chrome and have it last the life of the vehicle. But i doubt any body shop will warranty it. We do it. But do not warranty it. I did a how to paint chrome thread in the paint and body section.

https://www.f150forum.com/f116/how-paint-chrome-203305/

They need to get you the right handle and paint it. Period. I bet they saw your truck is the tri stage white pearl and got scared.

Last edited by 21RRF150; 11-16-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

I recently purchased a 13 Lariat 4 door 4WD that I love. I have the pearl white color and my door handles are pearl white as well, which I like. The dealership replaced one that was warped with a chrome door handle. After pointing this out, they said they would paint it for me to match...
Hi cheeseburger,

Any news on your door handle? Let us know how you made out; as always, I'm here to step in and assist if you need me.

Crystal
Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went back to the dealership yesterday and I told them I did not feel comfortable with them painting the chrome strap. The service advisor told me that his painter did not like the idea and would not warrant the paint. So now they ordered one paint to match without the chrome strap. Once they have the new one painted he is going to call me and install the new painted door handle. I think the service advisor is fairly new. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:53 PM

I went back to the dealership yesterday and I told them I did not feel comfortable with them painting the chrome strap. The service advisor told me that his painter did not like the idea and would not warrant the paint. So now they ordered one paint to match without the chrome strap. Once they have the new one painted he is going to call me and install the new painted door handle. I think the service advisor is fairly new. Thanks for your help.
Good Job! I am sure you are going to be happy with the results and not have to worry about it anymore!

Quick Reply: Door Handle Issue