Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your EAPS rattle/clank with engine off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Does your EAPS rattle/clank with engine off?

With the key on and engine off, does your Electric Power Steering rattle and clank while jiggling the steering wheel quickly left and right?

This is the only way I can replicate the noise heard while driving over washboard bumps.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by splashgtp
With the key on and engine off, does your Electric Power Steering rattle and clank while jiggling the steering wheel quickly left and right?

This is the only way I can replicate the noise heard while driving over washboard bumps.

Most people don't wiggle, jiggle the steering wheel while operating their vehicle.

So STOP doing it and your concern is fixed.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Most people don't wiggle, jiggle the steering wheel while operating their vehicle.

X2
I've never tried this without the engine running because I never wanted to cause more strain on the EPA rack than necessary. But then again I've never had any rattle or clank during normal driving either.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp

-my front end makes the exact noise over small bumps (without jiggling wheel)

-Ford dealer can't replicate problem when driving around there smooth as glass parking lot

-my warranty expires in 3,000 miles (most people wouldn't wait for the warranty to expire, so they can pay full repair bill)

Last edited by splashgtp; 07-04-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Best bet is to get someone trained in NVH to pinpoint the rattle, it's more than likely not coming from the epas, probably some other suspension component like sway bar end links, or heat shield or something.

This is what I used when I worked at the dealer.

http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/Ele...70-J-39570.htm

Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by splashgtp
-my front end makes the exact noise over small bumps (without jiggling wheel)

-Ford dealer can't replicate problem when driving around there smooth as glass parking lot

-my warranty expires in 3,000 miles (most people wouldn't wait for the warranty to expire, so they can pay full repair bill)
Two things

One, Have the service manager take a ride with you and demonstrate the noise to them. 99.99% of them will do it with no issues. Mine actually suggests it if they cannot reproduce the issue. Heck, one time I had the service manager, service adviser and two tech on a ride along, it was a tight fit in the back of that Taurus, lol.

Two, If the issue is reported under warranty and the tech cannot reproduce now. Ford will take that into consideration if they issue is "all of a sudden" reproducible after the warranty ends. They will most probably cover it.
That is why I always tell people take it in, even if they do not reproduce it now, you at least have a record of the complaint for when the issue becomes more noticeable later.

Quick Reply: Does your EAPS rattle/clank with engine off?