Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer can't find rattle on new RCSB '14

Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Dealer can't find rattle on new RCSB '14

So two weeks ago i purchased my first Ford. I got a good deal on a new '14 4x4 STX reg cab. I noticed it has a rattle/click sound near the front passenger side. It is speed specific but not RPM specific. I starts around 35-40 MPH and gets faster with speed but not with RPMs. If the RPMs drop the noise stays the same. It's constant, not intermittent, and is a perfectly rhythmic sound. It almost has the sound of an exhaust leak type noise. Yesterday morning when I dropped it off the tech rode with me to hear it. Even he admitted that is what it sounded like to him. It's been at the dealer for 2 days now. They can hear it but said they can't find where it's coming from. They called near closing time today and told me to come get it tomorrow. They said they have checked everything they can think of and have no clue what it could be. They said they didn't want to start tearing it apart too far since it was so new. They actually said to let it go for now. They said by the first oil change it would be gone or be louder and easier to find! I was just wondering how I should handle this? Any opinions? not really impressed with them right now. I guess my first step would be to go to another dealer first. But anyone else have any ideas on what I should tell them/ask them when I pick it up tomorrow? I want to tell them to give me a different new truck that doesn't rattle but I know that's out of the question. Love the truck but really disappointed right now. My old Chevy that I traded in didn't rattle but my new one does. How does that happen? Just my luck. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Suprised dealer telling you that. they wont give you different truck. I will speak to service manager see what he can help. At same time, i will stop by at different dealer.

Is it coming from under the hood or interior?
The following users liked this post:
andyems10 (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by andyems10
So two weeks ago i purchased my first Ford. I got a good deal on a new '14 4x4 STX reg cab. I noticed it has a rattle/click sound near the front passenger side. It is speed specific but not RPM specific. I starts around 35-40 MPH and gets faster with speed but not with RPMs. If the RPMs drop the noise stays the same. It's constant, not intermittent, and is a perfectly rhythmic sound. It almost has the sound of an exhaust leak type noise. Yesterday morning when I dropped it off the tech rode with me to hear it. Even he admitted that is what it sounded like to him. It's been at the dealer for 2 days now. They can hear it but said they can't find where it's coming from. They called near closing time today and told me to come get it tomorrow. They said they have checked everything they can think of and have no clue what it could be. They said they didn't want to start tearing it apart too far since it was so new. They actually said to let it go for now. They said by the first oil change it would be gone or be louder and easier to find! I was just wondering how I should handle this? Any opinions? not really impressed with them right now. I guess my first step would be to go to another dealer first. But anyone else have any ideas on what I should tell them/ask them when I pick it up tomorrow? I want to tell them to give me a different new truck that doesn't rattle but I know that's out of the question. Love the truck but really disappointed right now. My old Chevy that I traded in didn't rattle but my new one does. How does that happen? Just my luck. Thanks in advance.
I'll get this escalated to your regional customer service manager, andyems10. Please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, current mileage, servicing dealership, and best daytime contact number. I'll get started!

Brittany
The following 2 users liked this post by FordService:
andyems10 (04-02-2015), tuxedoblk_5.oh (11-22-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You should let the dealer know that if they don't fix it, you'll indicate your dissatisfaction on your survey that ford sends you. They get paid a lot of money for a good CSI score. I use to sell gm products and if I got 6 with "completely satisfied" as a salesperson I got a 1200 dollar bonus. It's a great tool for you at this point.
andyems10 (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 PM
misses 3 on the tree

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

the threat of the poor survey review will clobber the dealer best, if you are looking to grind an axe.

My advice is to follow Brittany's advice.

then give it a week and take it back
Old 04-02-2015, 01:24 AM

I'll PM you my info tomorrow when I get the VIN Brittany. I'm not mad at the dealer, just disappointed of the outcome. Definately don't want to grind an axe, just hoped to get it resolved. I understand I'm not spending as much as a new SuperCrew Platinum Edition but it's still frustrating. I wasn't expecting them to tell me to drive it until it's louder or its gone. They basically said they hear it, know it's there but they don't know what else to try. They said they didn't want to start tearing stuff apart on a new truck. I'm so happy with the truck otherwise. I've actualiy got a closer dealer I'll call next week and see what they can find. The purchase of the truck was excellent from this dealer. Easiest and most pleasant sales experience I've ever had. That's why I took it back to them for the service even though it's farther away.
It sounds as if it's coming from the front passenger side area, out under the hood or in the wheel area. It gets louder and faster with speed, but it's not related to RPMs. For example If I'm doing like 1500-2000 rpm and drop it into N, the RPMs of coarse drop, but the sound remains the same. Doesn't slow or diminish with engine RPMs. Specific to speed but not engine speed if that sounds right. It's not real loud and can be drowned out with the radio. But it's obvious with the radio off. It sounds exactly like a quiet exhaust leak type "chugging" sound. I told my wife that's what it sounded like and that's the same thing the tech said when he first heard it. Doesn't seem to be an interior, esp since its speed specific and totally constant and perfectly rhythmic with or without bumps, road type, etc. That makes me think it doesn't seem to be any interior trim loose but I'm just guessing. Seems to me it's drivetrain, but not engine speed related. I guess I'll find out more tomorrow when I pick it up. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for the help and advice.

Last edited by andyems10; 04-02-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 AM

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Could be something simple like a rock stuck in the tire. This would fit with speed but not rpm, like you mentioned.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by andyems10
I'll PM you my info tomorrow when I get the VIN Brittany. I'm not mad at the dealer, just disappointed of the outcome. Definately don't want to grind an axe, just hoped to get it resolved. I understand I'm not spending as much as a new SuperCrew Platinum Edition but it's still frustrating. I wasn't expecting them to tell me to drive it until it's louder or its gone. They basically said they hear it, know it's there but they don't know what else to try. They said they didn't want to start tearing stuff apart on a new truck. I'm so happy with the truck otherwise. I've actualiy got a closer dealer I'll call next week and see what they can find. The purchase of the truck was excellent from this dealer. Easiest and most pleasant sales experience I've ever had. That's why I took it back to them for the service even though it's farther away.
It sounds as if it's coming from the front passenger side area, out under the hood or in the wheel area. It gets louder and faster with speed, but it's not related to RPMs. For example If I'm doing like 1500-2000 rpm and drop it into N, the RPMs of coarse drop, but the sound remains the same. Doesn't slow or diminish with engine RPMs. Specific to speed but not engine speed if that sounds right. It's not real loud and can be drowned out with the radio. But it's obvious with the radio off. It sounds exactly like a quiet exhaust leak type "chugging" sound. I told my wife that's what it sounded like and that's the same thing the tech said when he first heard it. Doesn't seem to be an interior, esp since its speed specific and totally constant and perfectly rhythmic with or without bumps, road type, etc. That makes me think it doesn't seem to be any interior trim loose but I'm just guessing. Seems to me it's drivetrain, but not engine speed related. I guess I'll find out more tomorrow when I pick it up. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for the help and advice.
I understand, andyems10; thank you for keeping us posted. I'll check out that message and get back to you as soon as I can. If you have any other questions, you know where to find me!

Brittany
Old 04-03-2015, 10:35 PM

Picked my truck up yesterday. Same story. They hear the issue, acknowledge its there but can't find it. Said by the first oil change it should either go away or get worse so it's easier to find.
Here's something odd. I asked them to check a vibration around 20 mph when braking. It's very minor but thought that might be part of the issue. They said they checked the rotors and had to turn them "just a hair". When I left the dealer yesterday I did not hear the noise in question. I had hoped it was gone for good. It was about a 20 minute drive home. In the last 5 minutes the noise came back. Left for work this morning, same thing. Noise wasn't there for the first 15 minutes or so then it showed up again. It seems to show up after driving 15-20 minutes. Yesterday it seemed the vibration was gone with braking. Today it seemed it's back again as well. Wondering now if this is a brake related issue. Seems like having to turn the rotors at 700 miles is odd in itself. I'm assuming they checked all the brake components too but not so sure. I'm going to call another closer dealer tomorrow and see if they give me a 2nd opinion and can check it this coming week. Esp now that I've noticed it doesn't show up until the vehicle has been driven for several minutes.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:43 AM
misses 3 on the tree

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't feel bad about going for service to a dealer closer to home or more convenient.
They don't care that you did not buy it from them. You owe the selling dealer nothing.
Warranty service is warranty service.

I hate problems with a new vehicle. I hope your issues get sorted out soon. I also like that you don't want to grind an axe. It is classy.
safetypin (11-20-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer can't find rattle on new RCSB '14