Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash switch blanks (add some console switches!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Dash switch blanks (add some console switches!)

Does anybody know if it's possible to get OEM switches to replace these blanks? I have a few features that I'd like to activate with them. OEM replacements would be nice & clean!

- reverse camera (Garmin 2798 GPS with reverse camera)
- chime cancel
- aux driving lights

Would be nice to have them blank - but if I have to cover an icon with black tape so be it.

2013 F150 STx
Attached Images  

Last edited by Fyaboy; 07-28-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Dash switch blanks (need switches)

I don't think that this is possible.... Not sure but that front plate is a module and uses the network to turn things on and off so even if you got new buttons it's not like you could pull a power off the back. So OEM would not work but you may be able to mod something... I think it would be a lot of work but with enough time and money anything is possible!!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:23 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

No
Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 PM

Here's a google image of a model that has a load of buttons on it, sure would like to get ahold of one and dig into it, see if some switches can be moved over. Cost $86+shpg, wish I could find one for free to tear apart.

Other image is same as what I have (with 3 / or 7 ) blank buttons.

Understood you probably couldn't tap into the module outputs. Wondering if the 3 buttons can be moved over to the location of the blanks, then utilized to operate relays. Wonder if its worth $86 to find out…..
Attached Images   

Last edited by Fyaboy; 07-28-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 108 Likes on 59 Posts

I dont think its possible because it is a single ac module its not like a bunch of buttons with just wires plugged in i imagine its all solderdand sealed up thats why its sold as one single peices instead of individual buttons and plus theres a single wire harness that plugs into the back of it not a seperate plug for every button
Old 07-29-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I see 2 ways to make it work 1 retrofit some kind of small switch under the button so when you push it, it also pushes the switch you installed. The 2nd way is to open the module and find the traces on the board and solder wires on to there and pull a signal from there then run that in to a after market module that will do what you want. As I said with enough time and money it's possible!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Fyaboy
Does anybody know if it's possible to get OEM switches to replace these blanks? I have a few features that I'd like to activate with them. OEM replacements would be nice & clean!

- reverse camera (Garmin 2798 GPS with reverse camera)
- chime cancel
- aux driving lights

Would be nice to have them blank - but if I have to cover an icon with black tape so be it.

2013 F150 STx
Seems like you have the motivation. If you are really considering this I have an idea. You could try (and bare with me as this is all hypothetical) removing the black switch, installing a micro switch under the blank and have the blank glued to the switch.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Spazmonkey05
I see 2 ways to make it work 1 retrofit some kind of small switch under the button so when you push it, it also pushes the switch you installed. The 2nd way is to open the module and find the traces on the board and solder wires on to there and pull a signal from there then run that in to a after market module that will do what you want. As I said with enough time and money it's possible!
Lol I didn't read your post before posting, op basically do what spaz said
Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 AM

Yep it all depends if that switch board comes off and what's behind it. Kidastra if I had to leave the dummy switch immobile and have a tiny pin-sized button poking out the front to press the micro-switch that might be OK too. That would be the 'almost free' method. And theres the $86 experiment too.

Hoping someone comes across this post who's "been there".
Old 07-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

With enough motivation and some testing I be this can work for you.

Jeep guys are like the mcguyver's of the off-road world. Wen in doubt search the Jeep Wrangler forums.
The following users liked this post:
Fyaboy (08-01-2015)

Quick Reply: Dash switch blanks (add some console switches!)