Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking Noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking Noises

I have had my 09 F150 Supercrew 4x4 since August last year and love it. Have had no issues until now. I recently started putting the family dirtbikes into the truckbed rather than pulling them with a trailer. Since I started doing that....now (when the bikes are not in the back) I get a really loud creaking noise from what I think is the rear suspension when I back out of my driveway..you know...when the truck twists a little bit. I get it there and any other time I put some limited amount of twist stress on the frame from turning while driving up inclines etc.... Has anyone experienced this before? Not sure if it is the bed torquing as it twists on the frame or if its the leaf springs creaking on the blocks or something like that....any guesses? I don't drive it off road and it hasn't been abused so I have no clue what might have happened other than weight in the truck bed.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a branch fall between the bed and body that cause an awful noise. It wasn't a very big branch either.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is the leaf springs there is a TSB for squeaky leaf springs. It involves bending the clamps back some as they were too tight.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had the same squeak, it was the leaf sprinks, they retorqued and lubed and haven't squeaked since. And when i took it in they gave me the loaner for free
Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not been so lucky....I have a Rancho 4" lift so I have a different block on the back....Dealer says they need to put it back to stock to confirm...ie I have to pay to have them put it back to stock before they can check anything to confirm what is making the noise....they inspected the springs and say they look fine so are saying it has to be the new blocks and U bolts....but is this really possible? Can a block and U-Bolt fasten in place create this....I had that set-up on for 6 months before this started happening.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine (2010 4x4 sc totally stock) does it. One dip in our subdivision w/a sharp left turn and it makes a loud creaking sound (very brief) I haven't hauled any weight yet so that has no bearing on my issue. Maybe the dealer will know what it is. Taking mine in for the 1st oil change (free or I would do it myself) and will haqe it checked out.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

If it's this, just do it yourself, probably take 15 minutes:

Special service messages

20881 2009 f-150 may exhibit a creak/squeak type of noise from the rear suspension. Some 2009 f-150 vehicles may experience a creak/squeak type of noise from the rear suspension. If this is encountered then inspect both rear leaf springs front and rear clinch clips for clearance to spring. Verify there is a 3/32 - 5/32 of an inch (1.0 - 1.5 mm) side-to-side clearance between clinch clip and spring. If hard contact exists, then open clinch clip using an adjustable pliers. Wrap electrical tape on the jaws to avoid damaging clinch clip isolators and/or coating. Place adjustable pliers on the top end of the clinch clip and slightly bend outwards to obtain 3/32 - 5/32 of an inch (1.0 - 1.5 mm) side-to-side clearance. Be careful not to damage clinch clip. Do not apply lubricant to clinch clip isolators.

Effective date: 07/10/2009
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine only happens when the wife is in the truck.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard
Mine only happens when the wife is in the truck.
LOL, hope shes not on the forum.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:55 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Poults
I have had my 09 F150 Supercrew 4x4 since August last year and love it. Have had no issues until now. I recently started putting the family dirtbikes into the truckbed rather than pulling them with a trailer. Since I started doing that....now (when the bikes are not in the back) I get a really loud creaking noise from what I think is the rear suspension when I back out of my driveway..you know...when the truck twists a little bit. I get it there and any other time I put some limited amount of twist stress on the frame from turning while driving up inclines etc.... Has anyone experienced this before? Not sure if it is the bed torquing as it twists on the frame or if its the leaf springs creaking on the blocks or something like that....any guesses? I don't drive it off road and it hasn't been abused so I have no clue what might have happened other than weight in the truck bed.
I'm curious to know if you've got a tow package. I think they come with helper springs. Not that it has anything to do with the problem, I'd just like to know.........Thanx, BD

Quick Reply: Creaking Noises