Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak after engine is cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak after engine is cold

I have a 2011 Ecoboost that has developed a coolant leak. It is leaking behind the engine but I can't seem to figure out the exact origin. The weird thing is it doesn't start to drip until several hours after driving it. Sometimes it even takes a day or two of not driving it before the dripping starts up.

Any advice or words of wisdom?
Old 02-20-2017, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by sethwick75
I have a 2011 Ecoboost that has developed a coolant leak. It is leaking behind the engine but I can't seem to figure out the exact origin. The weird thing is it doesn't start to drip until several hours after driving it. Sometimes it even takes a day or two of not driving it before the dripping starts up.

I'm having same issue.did u get yours resolved?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:42 PM

check your heater hose, just had mine replaced(replaced heater hose and coolant reservoir). it would start leaking after the engine was shut off. hope that helps
Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by usernameunknown
check your heater hose, just had mine replaced(replaced heater hose and coolant reservoir). it would start leaking after the engine was shut off. hope that helps

I have. I'll look again though. I've seen coolant leaks when the engine is shut down, but none like this. If I drive it everyday, no problem. If she sits without being driven for a day or two, the drip starts again...
Thanks
Old 12-03-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by usernameunknown

I just had mine repaired. Behind the intake on the Block just below the valve covers on both driver and passenger sides up against the firewall there are two fittings and rigid hoses that feed coolant to the turbos. Then on the turbos there is another line that goes from the turbo to the side of the block. According to Ford's website they're all called Outlet hoses, the lines have a fitting that cost between four and $8 a piece, the short ones that go to the side of the block require pulling the turbo in most cases. The ones against the firewall behind the engine require disconnecting the
Driveline and motor mounts making some room behind the radiator and moving the engine forward about 6 in. My driver side fitting on the back of the motor was leaking when cold, I was quoted $1,200 to repair it I asked him to go ahead and replace all 8 fittings on the rigid lines. I explained to the dealer I did not want to pay 1200 bucks a piece for them they did all 8 for the same price. It took them 4 days and required a few other gaskets and o rings to be replaced but that was included in the price. That's a lot to spend on labor but I just didn't have the means to do it myself.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm having the same issue, with my '12 5.0. I can't tell where it's coming from but it appears to be from the front of the engine. My driveway is sloped and I park nose down, so it could be running toward the front.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I second the reservoir. I had a hairline crack in the bottom of mine near the plastic connector. It took me forever to find it because just like you it only leaked when it had been sitting a couple of hours.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak after engine is cold