Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Premium ESP - concerned over gaps

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 PM
F150 Convert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Premium ESP - concerned over gaps

I just bought my first F150 and I love it. I rarely buy extended warranties, but I did have a good experience with Ford ESP on an '89 Aerostar. The expensive electronics, not the least being the navigation system, compel me to go with a 6 yr/100k warranty (maybe longer if possible). I checked out the premium ESP and did not see the Sirius radio nor the navigation system listed as covered items. They were not specifically in the exempted list, either. I find myself less likely to go with a 3rd party warranty - I prefer to go with Ford.

I'm curious as to the value others have found in extended warranties, especially when expensive high-tech devices have failed.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:18 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Default ESP - Recommended

I purchased the Ford ESP for my '09 Lariat SCrew largely because of the Sony nav radio ($2400 option), which I had read could be troublesome. ESP also gives me peace of mind, even if I don't ever have problems with the truck. And I keep my vehicles a long time if they are reliable so the longer I keep this truck, the cheaper the per-month cost for that peace of mind becomes.

If the Sirius radio is part of the factory radio (mine is) then it would be covered under the ESP.

Negotiate the price: Original dealer quote for 6 yrs/100K was $2450, haggled down to $1200, after the closer agreed to show me their cost ($1150) for the plan from Ford.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I remember Page 47™

ESP's are just a way for the manufacturers and 3rd party providers to make money off of you. Statistically, over a lifetime if you always buy ESP's you'll wind up spending way more than if you just paid to fix any problems that occur, especially if it's something you can fix yourself. However, if you happen to be someone who tends to have really bad luck then you may be one of the unlikely few who benefit from the plan.

Financially it's a not the best decision, but if it gives you that piece of mind to help you sleep better at night, go for it.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TQS10
Financially it's a not the best decision, but if it gives you that piece of mind to help you sleep better at night, go for it.
I disagree, financially it is a very wise decision. I have bought many and know others as well that did buy extended warranties and have been very happy especially after a huge repair and these days most repairs are.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I also always buy extended warranties for my vehicles. Parts and labor are so expensive now and an extended warranty is an upfront, known cost. Out of pocket repairs down the road are unknown. Its all about peace of mind.

For my new F150, I got the ESP and pre-paid maintenance and rolled it into the financing of the truck. I just drop the truck off and pick it up and put gas in it.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by seadragon
I also always buy extended warranties for my vehicles. Parts and labor are so expensive now and an extended warranty is an upfront, known cost. Out of pocket repairs down the road are unknown. Its all about peace of mind.

For my new F150, I got the ESP and pre-paid maintenance and rolled it into the financing of the truck. I just drop the truck off and pick it up and put gas in it.
How much does the "pre-paid maintenance" cost? Although I am paying roughly $25 each trip was wondering if it is worth the cost...thx!

Bob
Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM
I remember Page 47™

Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard
I disagree, financially it is a very wise decision. I have bought many and know others as well that did buy extended warranties and have been very happy especially after a huge repair and these days most repairs are.
These are select cases where it works out for people who bought the ESP. But when you take into account the MILLIONS of policies that they sell you have a better probability of not needing repairs under the ESP that cost more than the ESP. If they were putting out more money in repairs under the ESP's than they were bringing in, do you really think they would continue to sell them?

And of course you will hear people who use the ESP say "It's a good thing I bought the ESP because I had XXXX break on me!" But how many people will you ever hear say "Good thing I bought that ESP because I never needed it!"
Old 08-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I have the pre paid maint. plan and it was just under $2000 rolled into the loan, we got one on the wifes Flex back in 08 because she can just roll in sit there and have it done where as I would always work on my own jeep. Well the expirence was so good with hers that when I bought my truck I got it also. I know so will say "waste of money" but I dont have the time with work,kids and whatnot so it really works out well for me! It will pay it's self off by the time it runs out as some of those higher mileage services are expensive!

As to ESP, I did not get it but they are not completely worthless like mentioned, it's just extra insurance that may or may not be used, I pay for medical and home and vehichle insurance but may never use that either but it's there!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default ESP

http://buy-ford-warranty.com/
This link will allow you to compare various options for plans, This is where I bought my wifes from as our dealer did not want to negotiate on prices for esp.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've bought two 'Extended Warranties'. Both were from 'third party' vendors. One on a Buick Le Sabre and one for my Harley. Paid $1700 for the Buick, used it once for a $350 repair, then the company folded. Bub-bye $1,350 .
Used the EW warranty on my Harley 3 times before that 3rd party vendor went belly-up.
Then I had to resort to the court system with Harley and it took about a year and lots of headaches to finally resolve it to my satisfaction. (Recouped $3000).
It's a crap shoot. Maybe you'll need it, maybe not............My experience was that the stealer's try to side step the warranty cuz of modifications to the vehicles. I didn't buy one for my XLT and doubt I will, but that's just me.
I did buy the maintenance plan for $700 and it's good for 60,000 miles. Covers the things that the regular warranty doesn't like brake pads, wiper blades, radiator hoses and belts. Wear items and all scheduled maintenance up to 60,000 miles.
Oil changes and all filters are part of the plan, too.

Last edited by Bottom Dollah; 08-10-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering Premium ESP - concerned over gaps