Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which configuration would suit me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which configuration would suit me?

Never owned a truck but will be buying an F150 someday.

I need a 4X4 (for possible snow/mud), a supercab at least, and an 8' bed. I should probably also be wary of towing options (boat/small moving trailer) but I haven't looked into that yet. Other than that I'm fair game. The models are all customizable so I'm thinking it might be slightly difficult to find what I'm after used.

Currently (2015) there's an XL. XLT, Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum but I'm not sure of the older models' differences... and most of the 2015 models too. Any help in narrowing this down is appreciated.

Last edited by Dave_Syn; 08-17-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

If the 8' bed and "at least" a supercab is a requirement, you can rule out any crew cab. You'll have to stick with supercab (rear doors open backwards). Even then, an 8' bed supercab is the long wheelbase option - which are less common.

As the trim levels go up, so does the standard equipment. You have to decide what you can't live without..

For me, I wanted a crew cab long wheel base FX2 with max tow (because the FX included most options I couldn't live without and paint to match bumpers and trim - I don't care for chrome - and max tow because I drag a fairly large boat around). When I couldn't find a FX2 long wheel base, I settled for the 5.5' bed because the dealer gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on the truck with every other option I wanted.

Best luck finding the perfect truck for you!
The following users liked this post:
Dave_Syn (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

+1^
Looks like you know what you need and want. An extended cab 4x4 with the 8' bed are a little harder to find used, but they are out there. I looked a month or so for that configuration F-150 but couldn't find anything in my market, so I stepped up to a supercrew with a 6.5' bed and found it to be just fine for me.
If you have to have the true crew cab and an 8' bed, then you'll have to step up to the F-250 to find that configuration BTW.
Regarding trim levels, I think it's all up to personal preference but in my experience I never regret having as many options in a vehicle that I can get since I live in my truck 2000 miles a week.
The following users liked this post:
Dave_Syn (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the regular cab with the 8' bed a lot more common? After thinking about it, I can probably sacrifice having any back seats at all. The supercab would be nice, but the 8' bed is more important.

Does there happen to be a really easy to read chart of the features of each trim level?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-18-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_Syn
Is the regular cab with the 8' bed a lot more common? After thinking about it, I can probably sacrifice having any back seats at all. The supercab would be nice, but the 8' bed is more important.

Does there happen to be a really easy to read chart of the features of each trim level?

Thanks for the help
I'm not 100%, but I believe the F150 has a similar "tradesman's" package to the Dodge. Base level, regular cab, 8" box.

If options are more important to you, you may be able to get away with a 6.5" bed with a bed extender, opens up more options to you.

As to trim levels, I found this: http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

What do you need an 8 foot bed for? If you've never owned a truck I'm not sure if you're talking about actually getting an 8 foot bed, or if you mean a 6.5 because when compared to the 5.5 the 6.5 looks much longer.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

You will save a considerable amount if you go for a single cab w/ 8' bed, over a supercrew.

However as TuxBlack asked, why do you need the 8' bed?

When I started looking I claimed I "needed" an 8' bed, but grudgingly settled for the 6.5' option so I could get the screw (supercrew) 4 door option.

Since then I have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of room the bed does have, and it has been rare that I have needed more space when hauling crap.

My only regret with getting the XLT (aside from the chrome you cant keep clean) is that it did not come with the center console like in the lariat or higher models. This I think might have been worth holding out for. However when you are looking at the used market, you sometimes have to sacrifice some wants to meet your needs.

I would advise checking out the ford build your own and check out the standard options. I know they have changed since they went to the 2015 builder, but it would give you a good idea nonetheless.

Also as you may notice from many posts, we tend to add options aftermarket, so if like me you wanted the larger towing mirrors, but only really haul less than 9,000lbs. at a time, you can buy them online for around $300 and they are super easy to install.

Hope you find what you want, and if you do, post a picture =)

Good luck,

Quick Reply: Which configuration would suit me?