Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil on plug or "coil pack" question/problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil on plug or "coil pack" question/problem?

Does anyone know if the coil packs have changed from the 2007 or 2008 model to the 2009 5.4 liter engine? The reason I am asking is that my truck is currently at the dealer for service for a slight misfire that I am sure is due to the all too common failure of the Ford coil packs. No one like Accel, MSD, etc. even lists a coil pack for the 2009 motor. If the dealer does find that this is the problem, I may want to swap out all the OEM coil packs with some aftermarkets that will hold up better.

My truck only has 4900 miles on it. It has not thrown a CEL yet but it skips and misses just like a bad coil as I have had these go out before on other Fords. The dealer said they were going to hook up the Vehicle Data Recorder and see what it comes back with but I am not optimistic. I had the service tech and the service advisor ride with me and they both noticed it but said it may be difficult to diagnose without a CEL coming on. That's my furstration with mechanics these days is that they don't know how to diagnose any problem without a CEL and then they don't know how to fix it unless there is a TSB out for that specific problem. Just curious if anyone knows what my options are for replacement or what I should do if the dealer can't diagnose it. I refuse to live with a $38,000 truck that skips when under a load or accelerating.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry I can't help you out with diagnosing your trucks issues. I would let the service department play out the hand they have. If they are unable/unwilling to find and fix the situation I'd shoot FOMOCO an email explaining the situation and then take the truck to a Ford Direct dealer. For some odd reason the Ford Direct Dealers seem to have a higher level service department and will usually identify the situation and expedite the fix more efficiently than the run of the mill dealer. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Keep us posted on the fix.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a Ford Direct Dealer and how would I find one?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ford+direct
Old 07-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Alright, I had my truck at the dealer two weeks ago for them to look at this skipping problem. They drove it 200 miles over a 3 day period with the vehicle data recorder hooked up and discovered that the #6 coil was bad. I picked the truck up and it drove great and had the power and acceleration that it should have.

Now it's been about 1000 miles and today I noticed a slight hesitation during a fast acceleration on the freeway again. I was able to make it do this several times. I hope it either goes away on it's own or sets a CEL so the dealer can diagnose it without me having to leave if for a few days again.

Anyone else having trouble with coil packs or know where I can get a good aftermarket set to replace all of them at once and be done with this problem? It is definitely not as bad this time as the previous problem I had a few weeks ago but it is still there. By the way, I just installed the Hypertech Max Energy programmer last week before leaving for vacation and it really wakes the truck up and makes it shift really nicely.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM

I believe I am having the same symptoms you were. Hesitation/missing under acceleration with semi-light pedal pressure. If I get on it harder(probably above 1/2 throttle) it smooths out like the coil pack gets more voltage and starts firing correctly. I am taking it in for a few other issues and its first oil change in a few weeks and am going to have them look at it. I can pretty much make it do it at will, but some times I think its the road, but it does it on damn near every road. No CEL so I know the dealership will probably try to say the same thing your's did. This will be my first experience with the service department so hopefully they will take care of me.

Quick Reply: Coil on plug or "coil pack" question/problem?