Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise under dash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Clicking noise under dash?

My 2011 screw is making a fairly loud clicking noise under the dash when I first turn on the air conditioner. The sound goes away after a few minutes. Anyone have an idea what might be causing it?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently developed a click/rattle/ aggravation around the steering wheel. I can not tell while driving if its under it or not. Though mine is not affected by the a/c but more road condition and speed above 20mph or so.. Anyone else experience rattles or clicking around the steering wheel? FYI 2011 with 14k
Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HOT150
My 2011 screw is making a fairly loud clicking noise under the dash when I first turn on the air conditioner. The sound goes away after a few minutes. Anyone have an idea what might be causing it?
I heard a similar noise just two days ago when I turned on my ac and switched on the upper and lower vents. The clicking sounded like dried leaves and went away after a few minutes. It was weird. I wonder if it is the blend door failing.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Took it to the dealer today. They replaced the motor assembly and the a/c door actuator. Seems to be ok now.
While talking to the service advisor the topic of gasoline came up. He told me that I should only run midgrade or premium with the 5.0 engine, and not any regular. That's another topic though.
The following users liked this post:
hughits (07-03-2014)
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 AM
2011 F150 Super Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 66FORDSVT
I have recently developed a click/rattle/ aggravation around the steering wheel. I can not tell while driving if its under it or not. Though mine is not affected by the a/c but more road condition and speed above 20mph or so.. Anyone else experience rattles or clicking around the steering wheel? FYI 2011 with 14k
Try this link.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/steeri...-rattle-75097/
The following users liked this post:
66FORDSVT (08-19-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, weird to say it, but mine just started doing this about 3 days ago. Simultaneously the A/C stopped working at a stop, or in idle. Just got off the phone with the dealership and set an appt. for monday.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:01 PM

My air hasn't been very cold since I got the truck. Service person said the door probably has never opened or closed properly since it was new. Since they fixed it, the air is ice cold. What an improvement! What really makes me mad is that I took the the truck to the dealer where I bought it when it was new and told them that the air conditioner was not cooling the cab. They told ime it was working fine.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clicking

My '11 started doing it couple of weeks ago. I noticed that if I don't turn the cold/hot air dial all the way to cold, but back it off a little, it will stop making clicking noise. I didn't have any clicking for 3 days now. It's not a fix, but it may help with stupid noise until somone smart comes up with the fix.
The following 2 users liked this post by srastoder:
hughits (07-03-2014), sluggo33 (10-09-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by srastoder
My '11 started doing it couple of weeks ago. I noticed that if I don't turn the cold/hot air dial all the way to cold, but back it off a little, it will stop making clicking noise. I didn't have any clicking for 3 days now. It's not a fix, but it may help with stupid noise until somone smart comes up with the fix.
Very interesting to read this posting 'cause I have exactly the same problem. This clicking sound started about a week ago. At first, it made the sound when I turned on the AC and the temp. adjusting dial to the coolest, but then it quickly went away. Then it repeatedly happened (and more often and longer once it starts). So I adjusted the dial from the coolest to the second coolest and then one more and then one more down. Then the clicking sound immediately went away.

So what is the problem? Is it exactly the same problem as what HOT150 had? Motor assembly and stuff or is it something different?

My '11 crew is less than 3 years now, but I got a little less than 40K, which means bumper to bumper warranty just expired. I believe air conditioner is covered by this. Out of luck. Will have to find a good mechanic shop unless bringing my truck to the dealership for this reason is going to charge my arms and legs.

Any more experience out there?
Old 07-04-2014, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I fixed mine and it's still working fine. You will need to replace the hot/cold blend door actuator. It's an easy repair. It sits behind the stereo, on the right side of it. You will need to remove center trim and stereo. Also, drop the glove compartment down. There are two or three screws holding it in place and you'll need to teach thru glove box to get to one of them. Part was about $50 at the dealer and it took 30
Min total to replace it. Once you buy the part and look at it, you will be able to identify the old one behind the stereo. Good luck

Quick Reply: Clicking noise under dash?