Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cig Lighter and 12V Adapter Always on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cig Lighter and 12V Adapter Always on?

Good morning,

Wondering if there is a switch or programming function to switch the cig lighter off when the truck is off.

I keep my radar detector plugged in and would rather not have it always on even when the truck is not (sometimes I forget to unplug it). I'm not ready to purchase a new battery operated one yet...or hard-wire to fuse panel for that matter so looking to see if anyone can help.

I guess I'm used to most (some?) vehicles having one always on and one off if the key is out.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cdc101
Good morning,

Wondering if there is a switch or programming function to switch the cig lighter off when the truck is off.

I keep my radar detector plugged in and would rather not have it always on even when the truck is not (sometimes I forget to unplug it). I'm not ready to purchase a new battery operated one yet...or hard-wire to fuse panel for that matter so looking to see if anyone can help.

I guess I'm used to most (some?) vehicles having one always on and one off if the key is out.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
No. No way around that.

I had same problem as you, for a gps. I just ended up hardwiring a cig lighter socket (kept under dash) to the fuse box, using one 'o them great add a fuse things.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by johnwill
No. No way around that.

I had same problem as you, for a gps. I just ended up hardwiring a cig lighter socket (kept under dash) to the fuse box, using one 'o them great add a fuse things.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, John. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 AM
2010 King Ranch 5.4 4x4

Just did the same thing yesterday. Works great (tapped into the trailer brake controller fuse because it's 10A and it is switched). Only problem was the plastic fuse box cover would not go back on with the add-a-fuse installed. Had to trim away some plastic inside the cover and after about an hour of dicking around with it, got it to snap shut. Probably okay just to leave the thing off but didn't want to do that. Have the gps wire essentially coming out where the glove box closes and just set the gps in the coin tray. Can easily drop the whole thing in the glove box when not in use and there's nothing to see from the outside. Never need to unplug it now.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

There actually is a very simple solution for this.

Unplug the cig lighter from the rear. then that constant hot line to a relay. run another wire from the relay back to the cig lighter with the ground thats already at the cig lighter. Then use the RAP wire (light blue by kickpanel) to trigger the relay. Now when you shut the car off, the cig lighter will remain "hot" till you open a door. And you are still using the original fused cig. line that was already powering the cig lighter. and jsut using the RAP line as a trigger ( there will be almost no current draw on this line at all)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

An easier solution is an Invisicord and Blendmount.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:13 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwill
hey, me too!

Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 PM

i want to wire lights that light up when the door opens how do i do it i dont want to run wires all the way from the dome light
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by k.black
i want to wire lights that light up when the door opens how do i do it i dont want to run wires all the way from the dome light
Can't you use a pin switch in the door?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd suggest using a pin switch also which will triger ground when the doors open. Other wise tap into the dome light....run the wire down the A pillar, and then use that wire as a positive trigger for your relay

Quick Reply: Cig Lighter and 12V Adapter Always on?