Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap RELIABLE!!!!!! remote start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cheap RELIABLE!!!!!! remote start

I wanted to install a remote start so I ordered a Fortin Evo-All bypass module which was suppose to bypass the pats system and remote start the truck by pressing the lock button on the factory remote 3 times. long story short the module is worthless and does not work. I had a chevy that I just completely bypassed the factory theft by soldering in a resister (a little more detailed than that but no need to explain it) and hooked up a cheap 50 dollar remote starter and never had an issue. only problem was that the security was always bypassed. but lets face it if someone has the time to break in your truck and pop the ignition they are going to end up making off with your truck regardless. So here is my idea for my 2013. I got a 3rd key for 7 dollars from ebay that I will program. I will then break off the actual cut key portion. then I will take the pats sensor ring off of the ignition lock cylinder and tape the head portion of the new 3rd key in side the ring and relocate it all further down the collum away from the ignition. then I will install a bulldog security remote start which comes with its own remote but also the option to run a wire to your door lock that acts as a trigger.....if you press lock 3 times with in 10 sec it will activate the remote starter. the only issues I see is pats will always be bypassed but like I said if someone really wants the truck theyre gunna steal it no matter how much security, and I wont be able to program a mykey which also doesn't matter because I don't use it. any comments are welcome. or if for some reason this wont work please yell at me before I screw something up.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

sounds good in theory but I am not 100% positive it will work. Not that what you are saying won't work but here is what may happen. you have the modded key chip on the steering wheel so it send the signal to the pats and you can remote start. I agree 100%, but where I think you may run into a problem is when you take another chipped key to start the truck?? it may be possible that the pats system will read or see both keys and for some reason see it as a fault. Also I am not sure that putting the key chip close to the steering column is going to work. If I remember there is wire coil inside the outer ring of the ignition cyl so you may try this if it doesn't work... wrap a wire (small gauge is fine) around the ignition 3 times, and then wrap it around the chip 3 times. That may work. The way I use to do them to make sure the pats wouldn't see both keys was to have the built in key about 1 to 2 feet away and I used relay. pin 85 to ground, pin 86 to switched positive, pin 30 and 87 to long looped wire (one side to 30, then wrapped 3 times to key, at least 18" to ignition and wrapped 3 times then back to pin 87.

But again that was years ago so I am not sure how secure the pats systems are today. As for the cheap remote start? Well I have used them and never had a problem and I have used top line and still had problems so you never know. Bulldog does make a pretty reliable unit.

Now the thing I don't like is hacking the ignition wires and so on, and Fords lovely way of blaming you for warranty claims but again it may come down to your dealer.
other than that they have some nicer features than oem.

Last edited by mamonti; 12-15-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mamonti
sounds good in theory but I am not 100% positive it will work. Not that what you are saying won't work but here is what may happen. you have the modded key chip on the steering wheel so it send the signal to the pats and you can remote start. I agree 100%, but where I think you may run into a problem is when you take another chipped key to start the truck?? it may be possible that the pats system will read or see both keys and for some reason see it as a fault. Also I am not sure that putting the key chip close to the steering column is going to work. If I remember there is wire coil inside the outer ring of the ignition cyl so you may try this if it doesn't work... wrap a wire (small gauge is fine) around the ignition 3 times, and then wrap it around the chip 3 times. That may work. The way I use to do them to make sure the pats wouldn't see both keys was to have the built in key about 1 to 2 feet away and I used relay. pin 85 to ground, pin 86 to switched positive, pin 30 and 87 to long looped wire (one side to 30, then wrapped 3 times to key, at least 18" to ignition and wrapped 3 times then back to pin 87.

But again that was years ago so I am not sure how secure the pats systems are today. As for the cheap remote start? Well I have used them and never had a problem and I have used top line and still had problems so you never know. Bulldog does make a pretty reliable unit.

Now the thing I don't like is hacking the ignition wires and so on, and Fords lovely way of blaming you for warranty claims but again it may come down to your dealer.
other than that they have some nicer features than oem.

The ring that senses the pats chip is just held in place by 2 plastic clips. I plan on popping it off and moving that portion (with the key head taped/zip tied to it) as far down the collum that the wire length will allow. hopefully it will be far enough away from the normal key when I start the truck normally.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by jpedric
The ring that senses the pats chip is just held in place by 2 plastic clips. I plan on popping it off and moving that portion (with the key head taped/zip tied to it) as far down the collum that the wire length will allow. hopefully it will be far enough away from the normal key when I start the truck normally.
cool that should work then.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I know of a shop around here and that's exactly what they do to bypass the various control modules of all different brands they install on and to the best of my knowledge they haven't ever had an issue.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Why not just get the 100 series from Ford runs about $215 installed?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:41 PM

On the cheap he can get a remote start for 50 to 60 bucks and have better range than our 100 series. The downside is security however the OP makes a good point, they break in and damage the ignition to take it anyway... The only thing I like about the 100 series is no wire hacking and warranty. I am going to put one in my ranger and I only want something on the cheap too. I really have never had a problem with a remote start working once installed, I have had a couple defects in my time but with most electronics, if it works out of the box they usually hold up.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:37 PM

So I installed a ready remote brand remote start using the method I had laid out in my first post. Works fine with no issues. Only 1 weird thing. I didn't hook any wires to or mess with the horn but when I remote start the truck the horn lets out 1 beep just before cranking. Not sure why it does it but doesn't seem to affect anything.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 PM

I reread your first post so I assume you went with a bulldog and I see you mentioned you have to push the lock button 3 times within 10 seconds to remote start the truck? So that is the problem. IF you push the lock button twice it beeps the horn *default from factory* you could pause between each push if you don't want the horn to beep. I think you have to wait 2 seconds between but that will still be enough time to remote start it. You could also get in touch with bulldog and ask if it can be programmed a different way.

The method I explained using a relay would work for you as your method did but you still could use the my key features if you wanted to. I realize you are not interested in that feature but for others that read this thread that may want that feature it can be done with a little extra wiring than I posted.

Last edited by mamonti; 12-23-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've dealt with enough chitty aftermarket remote starters installed by monkeys that needed a break from typing Shakespeare, and it is not worth the hassle. On my 2010 I got the Ford "Gold" alarm with remote start - for $350, and it cost another ~$300 to install it. It has been worth it as I have had zero issues with it.

Had I known that the install was going to be $200 more for the "Gold" alarm, I would have saved myself $300+ and gotten one of the other OEM remote starter options. On the 2011+ Trucks, Ford has an OEM unit that is basically plug and play. You want reliable, go with the Ford OEM ones that were designed specifically for the truck by the ones making the truck.

Quick Reply: cheap RELIABLE!!!!!! remote start