Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radio anybody still using them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Question CB Radio anybody still using them?

I would like to put a CB radio in my 2011 XLT Super Crew but I want it to look nice and at the same time be functional. If you have one in yours can you post pics of the radio install and the antennae setup your using?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 105 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd like one as well!
Old 10-06-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

I had installed one on my 2007 for 3000 mile road trip. There was barely no one on any channel. I asked a truck driver at a truck stop if truckers still use them. He responded that cell phones kind of took over and not too many truckers use CBs. I was real disappointed, I love CB radios. I still may get another. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:43 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I think its a waste of time to install one but to each be his own.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=f150+forum+cb+i....f150forum.com
Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tothemax
I think its a waste of time to install one but to each be his own.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=f150+forum+cb+i....f150forum.com
They are still pretty popular around here and the minutes are free with no contract.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmerdan
They are still pretty popular around here and the minutes are free with no contract.
Minutes are totally free on cell phones around here....they now charge by data usage
Old 10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Love My Eco

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Every time I travel I use one and it's normally pretty good traffic on ch19
Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Unless you travel a lot get a removable hump mount so you can remove it when you don't need it. I was a CB'r many years ago and have installed countless radios, but I can't remember even one that looked really good when I was done. They all had to hang under the dash or in some out of the way place that made access almost impossible.

Now if you prefer to listen more than talk you could put a speaker under the seat and stash a hand held in the console.

Antenna mounting? No ideas on that one. I wouldn't drill a hold in my screw for a $70 radio and a mag mount will mar the paint over time. If you have a toolbox stick a Wilson Little Wil or something similar in the center. It won't make for a perfect ground plane but it will work.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Just a few weeks ago, I mimicked the set up on my former Nissan Frontier by using same Cobra 75WXST in combo w/ remote mounted Cobra speaker, mic extension cable plus Wilson antenna and gumdrop mount. BTW, I've used this same radio model in my jeep for 15 yrs (3rd unit currently due to more delicate electronics which tend to fail faster during rough trail use).

In my F150 application, only drilled one 5/8" hole through rear bumper plastic cap while slightly enlarging existing hole in stamped steel below. Routed coax and tie-wrapped along and above passenger frame rail and entered rear cab through plastic hole plug under door sill (*). This radio model uses a remote "junction box" for power connections (**), coax plug plus port for remote speaker jack (* use coax w/ threaded detachable coax connector allowing pass-through on smaller diameter holes; ** all of that attached next to Sony subwoofer mtg brkt and wired temporarily to rear 12V plug w/ optional extension cable allowing main mic unit (delicate electronics within) to be in easy reach for use while being out of the way otherwise.

My purpose for CB stems from many years offroading where its primary form of communication to adjacent vehicles. Likewise, its handy during travels in "convoy mode" w/ other vehicles out on the highway. I'll use it in my truck for SAR missions on FS roads when storage in the truck is more suitable vs nimbleness of the jeep.

Links provided for reference only:

Amazon.com : Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio : Automotive Cb Radios And Scanners : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio : Automotive Cb Radios And Scanners : Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Cobra AC 702 4-Foot Microphone Extension Cable: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Cobra AC 702 4-Foot Microphone Extension Cable: Car Electronics

Amazon.com : Cobra HG S300 Highgear External Noise-Cancelling Speaker : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Cobra HG S300 Highgear External Noise-Cancelling Speaker : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Wilson 305-600 Black Gum Drop CB Antenna Stud: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Wilson 305-600 Black Gum Drop CB Antenna Stud: GPS & Navigation

Amazon.com: WILSON 305-486 4-ft Silver Load Fiberglass Antenna: Electronics Amazon.com: WILSON 305-486 4-ft Silver Load Fiberglass Antenna: Electronics

Pics taken just now in the garage are lousy but should help illustrate...

Last edited by DirtDawg; 10-06-2014 at 11:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spectragod (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Yes,I still use CB's. I've got one in the big truck, and one in the 150, and would put one in the Ranger if I could figure out a good place.
In the 150, I got one of those small, compact Midlands, and mounted it in the cubby hole under the AC controls. I also use a "LilWill" base loaded magnet mount, stuck on just forward of the highmount brakelight, and installed a remote speaker just in front of the drivers seat on the floor.
I wouldn't have a big truck without one, even though the newer generation of drivers can't/won't use one. Those things can save your ***, but that only works if you have a couple guys that aren't afraid to give info. Then there is a certain group that love their sound effects, like the "good buddy beep", among others, then the salesmen, then the preachers, then the lawyers, then the lover boys. But you learn to ignore them, and I've found the further north you go, the quieter it gets, but most guys where I go have them, and use them. Just not for stupidity.

Quick Reply: CB Radio anybody still using them?