Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cargo lamp switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default cargo lamp switch?

alright, dont bash the newbie, but i just got an oh-12 super crew and i have a question. how the hell do you turn on the cargo lamp without turning on the interior lamps? yes, i read my owners manual, didnt find anything. i called my salesman and he said it is run off of the interior lamps switch. is this correct? i sure hope not... i traded in my 05 duramax for the ecoboost and so far have been more than impressed. i race motocross and haul my bike in the back and i guess i have just got in habit of turing the cargo light on every once in a while to make sure the straps are still tight and nothing is blowing around in the bed. is there a switch that im not aware of? i cant see a darned thing out the back window when the interior lights are on. thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering about this too.
Good question. Sorry, I don't have the answer.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know there is no way to turn on just the cargo light. I, like some have done, will be adding led lights under the bedrails. Perhaps adding a led light in a different spot or something like that will be your solution also.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

There's no button or anything to control it. It wouldn't do me any good anyway, since I have a tonneau cover. I've been thinking of getting those bed lights as mentioned above.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I looked for a while for that missing cargo lamp switch, too. I felt pretty stupid then started thinking Ford was stupid for installing a cargo lamp with no freakin' switch! But I knew it worked when I shut the truck off and got out due to the courtesy delay or unlocking the truck to get in.

Then that War and Peace length owner's manual came in handy. Turns out that the dash dimmer switch is the cargo lamp switch also, just no separate button. Just push-n-hold to go to max dash brightness and then one extra second & tada - the cargo light is on.

I still think Ford is the stupid one.

Please Ford, just give us a damn cargo lamp switch!
The following users liked this post:
ronaldedd (05-12-2013)
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait if I'm thinking correctly. When I turn the little wheel or dial or whatever to wanna call it that dims the dash lights. When I turn it all the way one way it's turns on the interior lights when I turn it's all the way to the other side it turns on the cargo light.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - well now, the wheel thing... roll until the interior lights come on and roll one more detent past that, that should turn on the cargo light. It's been a while since I had any car with that thing. I want to say there was some combo of positions like interior only, interior plus cargo, and cargo only no interior.

Mine's a 2012, just a stupid button to push and hold for bright/dim the dash lights and I have to push and hold it until the cargo light comes on. I want a freaking cargo light on/off button all by itself not tied to dash lights or interior lights. Just a damn cargo light switch!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A damn cargo light switch he said!!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
ronaldedd (05-12-2013)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

alright thanks for the replies. its not a big deal, just thought i was missing something. Ford musta put more engineering into the new engines than the cargo lamp, i guess thats a good thing!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I don't feel like such a complete idiot now...thanks guys.

Quick Reply: cargo lamp switch?