Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARE cap experience with pearl white?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ARE cap experience with pearl white?

Anyone with a white platinum tricoat F150 with an ARE cap able to chime in on the paint match?

I'm considering one and my ARE dealer mentioned white platinum being a "tough" color for ARE to match. Even though my wife thinks I'll look like a grandpa with a cap I still want one!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Not sure of this will help at all, but i'll throw it in there.

I have an Ingot Silver FX4 and the paint is ever so slightly "off". Its very hard to notice, but in the right light, its a tad "lighter" than the truck paint. Again, this is very hard to notice, but overall I am satisfied.

I find it hard to believe the dealer would say such a thing to you. I believe they have a paint match guarantee, so if youre not satisfied you could always not accept the cap and try again.

I too found it hard to swallow being a "grandpa truck", but its so nice to have a weather proof bed.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Always looking out for a fellow "yinzer". Grew up in Shaler Twp. and lived in the SouthSide for awhile till I moved to Va. I miss home! Go Stillers!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an ARE with oxford white and am pleased with the quality and match of the paint. Don't worry about the old man truck look. I find that I need a cap for the things I haul more than without. When I bought my 1st truck in 92, I tried going without a cap. I was always screwing around with a tarp and worrying about the tarp color rubbing off on what I was hauling esp furniture. After the second or third time I found myself under an overpass at midnight in pouring rain trying to tarp the load in the dark I bought a cap!!!! My old cap on my chevy was abs plastic. Looked like fiberglass but only weighed 70lbs. easy enough for my wife and I to remove if necessary. Also, the old cap had a flat bottom compared to the fiberglass edge of the new ones that fit over the box edge. They require much more care to support them when you take them off. Talk to your cap dealer. Mine agreed to pull my cap and store it for a week or so if I ever need to remove it. He uses a forklift.
Jim
Old 10-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Nathan

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2011 EB is my third F150 with a matching cap. None of my caps have been an "exact" match, but all have been satisfactory. (I generally buy my canopy with my vehicle, thereby ensuring that Ford has an interest in the color being correct.)

A local auto paint supplier told me that if I bought a painted Ingot Silver fender manufactured in March 2011 and put it onto an Ingot Silver truck manufactured in September 2011, it would not likely be an exact match. If this is true, then it's unrealistic to expect a third-party manufacturer to do a better job than Ford at matching.

I got my Ingot Silver canopy this week and I consider it a good match. In other words, 10 out of 10 people looking at it will say, "Your canopy matches your truck." 19 out of 20 autobody guys will say, "Your canopy matches your truck." 1 out of 20 autobody guys will say, "That canopy isn't an exact match for your truck."

That's good enough for me.

P.S. I LIKE the look of an F150 with a canopy, but I think the high-top canopies ruin the look.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was also worried about my ARE truck cap since my truck is Tuxedo black
but the match and the sparkles are bang on
Old 10-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Obvious Troll

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If therein any metallic flake in the paint on your truck then it will not be a perfect match. Reason being is that they electrically change the body of your truck when they paint it to get the flakes to all stand on end. This is not possible to do with fiberglass, so the flakes lay randomly and pick up the light differently. That being said, they get pretty close, and having a topper is nice. I would recommend a full canopy over just the lid, as they allow you to have a more useful cargo space.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillK
Anyone with a white platinum tricoat F150 with an ARE cap able to chime in on the paint match?

I'm considering one and my ARE dealer mentioned white platinum being a "tough" color for ARE to match. Even though my wife thinks I'll look like a grandpa with a cap I still want one!

Yea... I am not totally satisfied with my Ingot Silver ARE cover. The finish along the rim is wavy and rough, and the paint is somewhat off - when you look at it in different light and at different angles. Don't quite know what to do that this point. It is less than a month old.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread, but if the OP is still looking, mine matches really well.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 PM

I'm satisfied with mine
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/16c135f9.jpg
Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 AM

I just got an ARE cap in the UG color and I am satisfied with the match.

Quick Reply: ARE cap experience with pearl white?