Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Swap a 20A Fuse Up to 30A Safely?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Just here for the MPG's

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Can I Swap a 20A Fuse Up to 30A Safely?

Here is the problem I'm running into. My factory horns died a long time ago and since then I've replaced it with 2 aftermarket horns that add some more volume and tone. The problem I was running into was the 20A fuse for my truck (Fuse Box Spot 24 IIRC for my 2011 FX4) was blowing because of the added load. In order to fix it i simply swapped it out with a 30A fuse. I understand that the electronics are set the way they are for good reason so am I putting my truck and BCM in danger by running this high of a fuse in a spot meant for 20A? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:15 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

All depends on load and wire gauge. I am not sure what size wire feeds the horns?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Eco-BEAST 28
Here is the problem I'm running into. My factory horns died a long time ago and since then I've replaced it with 2 aftermarket horns that add some more volume and tone. The problem I was running into was the 20A fuse for my truck (Fuse Box Spot 24 IIRC for my 2011 FX4) was blowing because of the added load. In order to fix it i simply swapped it out with a 30A fuse. I understand that the electronics are set the way they are for good reason so am I putting my truck and BCM in danger by running this high of a fuse in a spot meant for 20A? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
Yes

Do happy short beeps, not long you f'n @$$O beeps and you may avoid starting a fire.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:16 AM
Just here for the MPG's

Originally Posted by Tothemax
All depends on load and wire gauge. I am not sure what size wire feeds the horns?
Pretty sure it's just 16 gauge wire
Old 02-26-2017, 01:15 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Fuses ratings are chosen based on wire gauge and length of run, not the load at the end of the wire. If it was me.. I'd put the 20 amp back in, get a relay and let your Oem horn wire trigger the relay, and use power directly from the battery with a correct sized fuse based on what wire gauge you use and how long that wire is
The following users liked this post:
MrLunchbox (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 02:43 AM
Just here for the MPG's

Originally Posted by TimelessR1
Fuses ratings are chosen based on wire gauge and length of run, not the load at the end of the wire. If it was me.. I'd put the 20 amp back in, get a relay and let your Oem horn wire trigger the relay, and use power directly from the battery with a correct sized fuse based on what wire gauge you use and how long that wire is
I went and switched the fuse back to a 20 amp, but since I'm an electrical moron I have no idea what you mean by using a relay to let the OEM wire trigger the relay
Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

My 2012 owners manual says it's fuse #22. Regardless, using a higher capacity fuse than 20 amp, in a circuit designed for 20 amp, is a huge NO. Never increase fuse capacity, this includes your house as well. Many fires have started this way.
A 20 amp fuse is there to protect a circuit with a #12 wire, a 30 amp fuse protects a #10 wire. Smaller wire size numerically denotes a larger physical size, hence more capacity.
I think I'd be finding a horn setup that requires less than 20 amps to work.
I know what the manual says, but wow, 20 amp for just the horn? That's quite a bit of power.

Possibly you a chaffed wire somewhere?

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 02-26-2017 at 06:35 AM.
MrLunchbox (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Eco-BEAST 28
I went and switched the fuse back to a 20 amp, but since I'm an electrical moron I have no idea what you mean by using a relay to let the OEM wire trigger the relay

It's easy stuff.

Your original horn wire will only trigger the relay, which typically draws 1A or less. The relay provides power to the accessory.

A relay is just a component that has a little electromagnetic coil in it and a switch. When you power the coil, it pulls the switch (ie: contacts) closed. Since your horn circuit is now only powering the coil, it only sees a 1A (or less) draw. The contacts in the relay directs the power to the accessory. Since the relay is remote, it can be placed closer the the battery and you can run wire suitable for 30A (or more). Since you're only talking about less than 5' run of wire to the relay and horns, 18 gauge wire is sufficient.

Your original horn circuit actually has a relay in it that does the same thing, it's just that it's only rated for 20A, which doesn't work for you. You also can't just change it out. The system is only designed for a maximum of 20A, so you're stuck with it. OEM's are notorious for using the absolute bare minimum wire gauge (or less) for things, mostly to save money as copper is very expensive. The less they use, the more profit they make.

You can buy a 30A relay and all is good:

Don't worry if all you can find is a 40A, just make sure you don't get a 20A. All the amperage rating on the relay means is it maximum current it's rated for. More is fine, less is not. Especially since you know 20A is not enough for your horns.

Same as relays that have 5 blades instead of 4. both work. the 5th blade is just a normally closed position (you want the normally open blade for your horns).

Like so for 5 blade:

You would use 87 for your horns, 87a would be left empty. You're better off with a 4 blade though, as blade 87a would be hot at all times when not using the horn. It's pretty unlikely, but should you be working and touch it with a wrench or screwdriver, you'd get a spark/short.

Here's a typical circuit that would work for you:

Where the switch is in the diagram, you would use the original wire that goes to the horns. Put the relay in a relatively dry spot under the hood. Where the lights are in the diagram is where you would hook up your aftermarket horns.

Last edited by Great white; 02-26-2017 at 08:10 AM.
MrLunchbox (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

^ this

Thanks Great White for explaining that!! That took patience ;-)
MrLunchbox (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by TimelessR1
Fuses ratings are chosen based on wire gauge and length of run, not the load at the end of the wire.
They need to be chosen on both.