Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying used 2013 FX4, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying used 2013 FX4, what to look for?

Hey guys, I got pre-approved and am going down tomorrow to pick up my new (to me) 2013 ecoboost FX4. There are a couple of cosmetic issues that were easily identifiable (missing rear headrest lol, some torn shrouds near the grill area), but I'm curious what you guys recommend to check drivetrain/chassis-wise. I'm not a rookie to general automotive mechanics, and was planning on getting them to do a compression test and pull the intake tubes so I could check shaft-play on the turbos, but I've never had a truck, so I don't know if there's stuff relating to the 4x4 system I need check.

I did already search, but didn't come up with much. I appreciate any information! thanks in advance
Old 10-23-2015, 10:46 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by SpydiR
Hey guys, I got pre-approved and am going down tomorrow to pick up my new (to me) 2013 ecoboost FX4. There are a couple of cosmetic issues that were easily identifiable (missing rear headrest lol, some torn shrouds near the grill area), but I'm curious what you guys recommend to check drivetrain/chassis-wise. I'm not a rookie to general automotive mechanics, and was planning on getting them to do a compression test and pull the intake tubes so I could check shaft-play on the turbos, but I've never had a truck, so I don't know if there's stuff relating to the 4x4 system I need check. I did already search, but didn't come up with much. I appreciate any information! thanks in advance
Check undercarriage for any kind of damage like bent or scraped skid plates and diffs. You want to make sure someone didn't dog it off-road.

Put it in and out of all 4wd modes and listen for any weird mechanical sounds.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Check undercarriage for any kind of damage like bent or scraped skid plates and diffs. You want to make sure someone didn't dog it off-road.

Put it in and out of all 4wd modes and listen for any weird mechanical sounds.
sounds pretty normal. I was watching some videos on youtube, and am familiar with how to switch into 4wh and 4wl, but I didn't see how they switched in to locked mode... how would I go about that? or should I just play stupid at the dealer and make them show me?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:58 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by SpydiR
sounds pretty normal. I was watching some videos on youtube, and am familiar with how to switch into 4wh and 4wl, but I didn't see how they switched in to locked mode... how would I go about that? or should I just play stupid at the dealer and make them show me?
Just pull the 4x4 switch out (towards you).
Old 10-24-2015, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chris's FX4
Just pull the 4x4 switch out (towards you).
duly noted, thanks!
Old 10-24-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Run it hard to see how it shifts and brake hard from hwy speeds. This will check engine, transmission and brakes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Also make sure you turn the wheel all the way to the left like making a sharp turn. And do the same only going to the right. This might seem weird to do and it is but if I would have done it I would have noticed something was wrong with the advance track system on the test drive instead of the day after I took it home.

I got lucky they took care of the truck for me but it was almost a 2g fix with a rental for a week.

There is a thread about advance track issues. Some are different then mine but a lot of them are the same with turning triggering the light.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 892 Likes on 584 Posts

listen / feel for popping in the steering wheel as well. EPAS problems are common...
Old 10-24-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by obert
Also make sure you turn the wheel all the way to the left like making a sharp turn. And do the same only going to the right. This might seem weird to do and it is but if I would have done it I would have noticed something was wrong with the advance track system on the test drive instead of the day after I took it home.

I got lucky they took care of the truck for me but it was almost a 2g fix with a rental for a week.

There is a thread about advance track issues. Some are different then mine but a lot of them are the same with turning triggering the light.
Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
listen / feel for popping in the steering wheel as well. EPAS problems are common...
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I had no clue about this. I test drove the vehicle already, but it was more of a "can fiancee and I live with this vehicle" than checking for noises and what not. I will say though that the brakes really surprised me
The following users liked this post:
obert (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 01:09 PM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Default Buying used 2013 FX4, what to look for?

If I were you and my mind was on the financing was during the test drive. I'd take another ride, now that you are armed with more info and have no worries about the deal.
Check the rear window de-froster, to see if the light comes on. Quite a few have failed.
The following users liked this post:
obert (10-24-2015)

Quick Reply: Buying used 2013 FX4, what to look for?