Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Life?

Old 11-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Life?

I'm new to this forum and new to Ford trucks. I bought a new '12 F150 Fx4 Crew with the Ecoboost engine this year after being a long time GM buyer. Like many out there I couldn't stomach the government bailout of GM.

I really like the truck so far. Very impressive engine, good looks, beautiful interior. I recently took it in to the local dealer for its 20,000 mile oil change and tire rotation. When I dropped it off the dealer recommended a brake inspection claiming that they are seeing a lot of residue building up on the the brake systems due to what our road departments put down on the roads in the winter. Skeptically, I told them to go ahead and do the brake inspection. I get a call back a few hours later saying my braking system needs cleaned and lubricated for $170. I told them that there is no freakin' way a 20,000 mile truck that is 8 months old should require ANY brake attention and to put the tires back on. They then asked if I've experienced any vibration coming from the brakes and I actually have had a little vibration. They said this will clear it up. I still told them not to do the work and left a little miffed.

Here's my issue. My last three trucks have been 2500 Duramax Chevy's and my wife drives a Tahoe. None of these vehicles have required any brake attention any earlier than 55,000-60,000 miles and at that point just pads and a resurfaced rotor or two. I still have the last 2500 that I use for towing and I just checked the file and that truck got its first brake attention at 88,000 miles. All of these vehicles drive on the same roads as this new F150 and the brakes have never required cleaning.

With this in mind, how long are your brakes lasting? Have any of you had to clean your braking system like described above? I would pass this off as a dealer scam to grab some more service money but I do have some vibration coming from the brakes that is legit.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Did my brakes at 22k miles. Some have way better luck. Never heard of the "cleaning" before, that's new to me. If you are experiencing vibration already, its most likely improperly bed in pads. This happens when the material of the brake pads transfers incorrectly to the rotor, and will cause vibration. Lots of people believe it to be warped rotors, when in fact its not(most of the time)

Some info

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/...-in-procedures
Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

First off, you are should be under warranty. The pads would be considered a wear item and probably not covered but I've never heard of cleaning and lubricating your brakes?

I think they are just trying to get money out of you.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Brake Service

Depends where you live I'm sure but up her in Canada and particularly in my region where they use tons of salt on the road in winter the problem is that the slider pins get gunked up and seize. This means that when you brake only one pad is actually applying pressure, or worse yet they seize such that one pad is always dragging.

I typically take my breaks apart every couple years and lube the sliders and this is sufficient. My dealer tried to charge me $250 for said service the other day and I told him to **** off and I'd handle it.....their price is stupid for what they're doing, though there is reason to service the brakes in my area more often than doing actual pad/rotor replacement.

I had an old Buick with 4 wheels disks and the rear sliders would seize every year!! Damn salt.....
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

OP, if you have the tools and ambition, and want to save some $$, i did a write up on how to do your brakes. You can check/clean them yourself.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/front-...w-09-a-179095/
Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanks for all your responses. What a great forum. I intend to read up on all the links that were provided. We're in NE Ohio so the roads see plenty of winter salt which may be contributing to this problem. I'm just having a hard time getting my head around why this F150 is having this problem and my other trucks that drive in the same conditions have never had an issue with the slides gunking up or with material transfering improperly from the pads to the rotors.

Is 20,000-30,000 normal brake life on these trucks?

THANKS!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did everything to my brakes. Just took the drum off and it was pretty much self-explanatory. I would definitely recommended working on your own truck. Makes me love my truck a little more knowing I've done all the work to it.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

My wife's '11 Platinum has 50k miles on it and the last time I rotated the tires (45k) the pads and rotors were fine. Most of the miles are highway though with no towing; it's her personal vehicle. I'm sure this has something to do with it.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by gobucks
Thanks for all your responses. What a great forum. I intend to read up on all the links that were provided. We're in NE Ohio so the roads see plenty of winter salt which may be contributing to this problem. I'm just having a hard time getting my head around why this F150 is having this problem and my other trucks that drive in the same conditions have never had an issue with the slides gunking up or with material transfering improperly from the pads to the rotors.

Is 20,000-30,000 normal brake life on these trucks?

THANKS!
Could be just luck, or the material Ford uses compared to other manufacturers. I was a GM guy before, and my s-10 was always in the shop...however my dads s-10 not so much. His is a year older than mine was, with more mileage(he has 80k now, mine had 60k when i got rid of it) and he hasn't done brakes yet. Mine took 2 brake jobs. And i drove mostly highway miles back when i had it.

A co worker has an '08 f150...bought it new...hasn't done brakes yet either. I've done mine already! Mines a '10! I did buy mine used though
Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gobucks
I'm new to this forum and new to Ford trucks. I bought a new '12 F150 Fx4 Crew with the Ecoboost engine this year after being a long time GM buyer. Like many out there I couldn't stomach the government bailout of GM.

I really like the truck so far. Very impressive engine, good looks, beautiful interior. I recently took it in to the local dealer for its 20,000 mile oil change and tire rotation. When I dropped it off the dealer recommended a brake inspection claiming that they are seeing a lot of residue building up on the the brake systems due to what our road departments put down on the roads in the winter. Skeptically, I told them to go ahead and do the brake inspection. I get a call back a few hours later saying my braking system needs cleaned and lubricated for $170. I told them that there is no freakin' way a 20,000 mile truck that is 8 months old should require ANY brake attention and to put the tires back on. They then asked if I've experienced any vibration coming from the brakes and I actually have had a little vibration. They said this will clear it up. I still told them not to do the work and left a little miffed.

Here's my issue. My last three trucks have been 2500 Duramax Chevy's and my wife drives a Tahoe. None of these vehicles have required any brake attention any earlier than 55,000-60,000 miles and at that point just pads and a resurfaced rotor or two. I still have the last 2500 that I use for towing and I just checked the file and that truck got its first brake attention at 88,000 miles. All of these vehicles drive on the same roads as this new F150 and the brakes have never required cleaning.

With this in mind, how long are your brakes lasting? Have any of you had to clean your braking system like described above? I would pass this off as a dealer scam to grab some more service money but I do have some vibration coming from the brakes that is legit.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Just like you, my 2004 Duramax has 158,800 miles on the original brakes. Hope my 2013 F150 brakes last half that long.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Life?