Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake feedback at 0.5 mph???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake feedback at 0.5 mph???

I just bought my new pickup, a 2014 XLT Screw 4x4 with a 5.0 liter and 6.5 ft bed. I didn't notice it while test driving but now that I have a few hundred miles on it I do. While braking, immediately before the vehicle stops (say, under 0.5 mph), at the moment the vehicle stops I feel a "sensation" in the vehicle. I assumed this is the hill start assist working and engaging the brakes. If I start rolling and immediately engage the brakes it is there again. It almost feels like something is loose, like the rear end is rotating within the U-bolts. It has become somewhat annoying, only because I think there is a problem. Has anyone else noticed this additional brake feel?

On a good note, so far I love my pickup.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Same on my '12 ; you're NOT alone !

[QUOTE=moreworktodo;3783319]I just bought my new pickup, a 2014 XLT Screw 4x4 with a 5.0 liter and 6.5 ft bed. I didn't notice it while test driving but now that I have a few hundred miles on it I do. While braking, immediately before the vehicle stops (say, under 0.5 mph), at the moment the vehicle stops I feel a "sensation" in the vehicle. I assumed this is the hill start assist working and engaging the brakes. If I start rolling and immediately engage the brakes it is there again. It almost feels like something is loose, like the rear end is rotating within the U-bolts. It has become somewhat annoying, only because I think there is a problem. Has anyone else noticed this additional brake feel?

...surely annoying.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 PM

I was messing around before work today trying to find out what this is. With the vehicle parked, I would grab the rear wheel and rotate it forward and backward. The noise was associated with the rear axle rotation. The noise and feel is definitely associated with the rear pinion yoke translating up and down. I'll mess around with it more to understand if the two piece driveshaft is the source.

It was interesting, if I shook the vehicle violent enough the bed would amplify the noise.

I saw on other threads people complained of a shudder or vibration when loaded, maybe this is related to the pinion/driveshaft angle, etc. My situation definitely isn't related to the brakes or hill start assist.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. Clunks and sensations like this don't give me comfort on durability.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably the slip yoke in the transmission stick slipping as the yoke goes in and out of the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (11-03-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 01:51 PM

Great description, I have the same problem. My 09 FX4 had it as well as my current 12 FX4 with 67k. Its like the transmission is still trying to push the truck forward when coming to a complete stop. I'm also now getting a jolt and pop sound when engaging the gas pedal wether it be from a stop or going down the road, interstate, etc. I've been wondering if it is the yoke and what the fix is besides the dealership telling me it needs to be just lubed which doesn't fix the problem. I drive my truck around 1000 miles a week and had just over 100,000 on my 09 FX4.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

I think all these trucks do this to a varying degree. My previous '11 did it, and my '13 does it from time to time. My guess is the dealer will tell you it's normal, but that doesn't mean it is. Most of the earlier problems with the two piece drive-shaft came from the yoke needing to be greased. There is a very good thread out there talking about the problem, but as we know the search function is a little hinky sometimes. Best I can do is say try searching, and hopefully you will hit the right wording. If you find it, it will definitely help you with when you hit the dealer. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:09 PM

i've played around with several 5.5 ft beds with one piece driveshafts and they don't seem to have this, or at least it isn't as noticeable. it is just different for me, i have never noticed it in GM pickups. i spent an hour under there with my wife trying to rock the vehicle back and forth to create the noise. it is impossible to isolate.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moreworktodo
I just bought my new pickup, a 2014 XLT Screw 4x4 with a 5.0 liter and 6.5 ft bed. I didn't notice it while test driving but now that I have a few hundred miles on it I do. While braking, immediately before the vehicle stops (say, under 0.5 mph), at the moment the vehicle stops I feel a "sensation" in the vehicle. I assumed this is the hill start assist working and engaging the brakes. If I start rolling and immediately engage the brakes it is there again. It almost feels like something is loose, like the rear end is rotating within the U-bolts. It has become somewhat annoying, only because I think there is a problem. Has anyone else noticed this additional brake feel?

On a good note, so far I love my pickup.
Does it feel like the vehicle is "bucking and jerking slightly" by any chance?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 PM

I suppose you might associate it with a bucking and jerking sensation. It feels like something "holds" and then lets go. if i let my foot off the brake and start rolling, then immediately apply firm brake to abruptly stop it is there. now it is starting to show up on accelerating from a stop. I might need to bring it in to the dealer, see if it is that TSB related to lubricating the two piece driveshaft.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

My Silverado does the same thing. I'm betting it's the driveshaft.

Quick Reply: Brake feedback at 0.5 mph???