Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block Heater Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Heater Install

Hey Guys,
I am looking to install a block heater into my ecoboost engine to allow for quicker heat up time. I have talked with tasca parts to see what the cost is for OEM parts and it is around $80. I was wondering if anyone has installed one in the ecoboost or in any engine at all. I have plenty of mechanical experience, but just looking for some thoughts/opinions on the block heater install since I have never done one.

How hard is it to remove a freeze plug and install this?

anyone a ford tech that could maybe find a ford document on exactly how to install it?

thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

Did you get a part number? I am looking to add one to my 5.0 engine. I installed one a few years ago on a 5.4L, and it was vey easy. This is how it worked on my 5.4L:
-drain the radiator coolant into a clean bucket (you will re-use it).
-remove drain plug from driver's side of engine block (rear of engine, down low)
-drain coolant from block into the same bucket. (i made a "foil funnel" to direct the fluid)**** Total fluid drained was only about 2 gallons (radiator and block combined)
-remove driver's side rear most freeze plug. (tap one side lighty with a hammer and punch, to make it "spin". Then, when you can, grab it with a pair of pliers and remove from the engine block......... Be careful not to push the whole plug straight in towards the block, as it can fall into the water passage, and you may never see it again!)
-Install new heater element per directions (i believe my element pointed downward)
-tighten center bolt per directions to tighten into block
-re-install block coolant drain plug
-route heater wiring harness to front of truck
-refill radiator with coolant
-run truck with heater on high/hot, to allow air to purge from system

this whole process took me about 1 hour. it was very easy to do, and worked great. the steps may vary slightly for your particular engine, but should be similiar.

i would be interested to get the part numbers for the heater and plug to order one myself.....

good luck!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:06 PM

5.0l you need to drop the front axle and unscrew plug on the driver side right at the engin mount then screw in the BH. just had it done. no way to get the plug out with out droping front axle.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 PM

mattd17,
Hey man, I found your installation instructions very helpful. I know this is an old thread, but in case you're still looking - this catalog may help. "Kat" is owned by Five Star Manufacturing, out of TN. They have ****ty customer service (no customer service. You can call/email till you're blue in the face but no response). Anyway, the quality seems decent. I use #11610 on my 2003 F-150 Lariat, 5.4L.
http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com...s_2010_Catalog
http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com..._Plug_Style_Bl
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Well I just did mine on a 5.0 2011 f150 n i had to drain the radiator, pull the alternator and back behind where the alternaoter went is the pipe plug u have to remove to install your block heater. roughly 3 hrs to do. No dropping ur axle or unbolting a motor mount.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by robert_v_lindsey
Well I just did mine on a 5.0 2011 f150 n i had to drain the radiator, pull the alternator and back behind where the alternaoter went is the pipe plug u have to remove to install your block heater. roughly 3 hrs to do. No dropping ur axle or unbolting a motor mount.
Be sure to post back with how well it performs. Typically the heaters are installed in the rear of the block since it is generally a little lower than the front.

What part number did you install?

Quick Reply: Block Heater Install