Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein 5100's installed for level

Old 10-26-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up Bilstein 5100's installed for level

Got my bilstein's in from Stage 3 Motorsports last week. Very fast shipping and no problems with them by the way. I went ahead and got all 4 corners since I hated the way the body would lean around corners and just generally felt loose. I put the rear shocks on that night, but took the fronts to a shop to have them installed. I used the 2nd from the top setting, since my truck only measured a little over an inch or so rake before. I was torn on what setting to use, but am glad I went with the one that I did. This setting put my truck fairly level to the naked eye, i haven't measured as it looks good enough to me to even worry about it. Very pleased with the way the shocks/struts handle, great upgrade from factory shocks with 60k miles on them. I know many people have done this already, but it was a new mod to me so I thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails Bilstein 5100's installed for level-img_2364.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks good I like the wheel combo!
The following users liked this post:
jtharris79 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Vette10R
Looks good I like the wheel combo!
Thank you!
Old 10-26-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Looks great...I've had mine for 2 yrs and over 25K miles with no problems.
The following users liked this post:
jtharris79 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got the same setup on my 5100s, love the look, wish the ride was a touch softer up front but I'm about to swap the rear blocks for an add-a-leaf to make the rear match the front. Love the truck man!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Looks Great but .... I bet it still leans in the corners

Looks real good .... Probably handles better , because anything is better than oem , but I betcha it still leans in the corners maybe not as bad but still not as good as you would like ... the shock its self has nothing to do with the front end leaning over like a bus in the corners .... To get rid of the sloppy handling caused by the overly soft Oem coil over springs you'll need to upgrade the coil springs themselves to at least a 650 -700 lb rate spring ... Bout 120.00 ea and labor to do the work not cheap ..... but worth it if you want your truck to handle a whole lot better , woulda been cheaper to do it all at once rather than have to remove the bilstiens , trash the oem coils install aftermarket and re install but I guarantee you'll really notice a change in handling ... Im sure the FOX shox on my truck do absorb bumps better than anyhting I had prior and keep the tires on the ground better , but the better handling came from the Eibach coil springs on them because the ride was literally Nite and day over my Pro comps with oem Coil springs , Also replaced my stock rubber sway bar and end link bushings with new ones from energy suspensions ... And in the rear , wasn't until l I added a set of Hellwig spring helpers that the overall handling was more to my liking and as an added bonus no more axle wrap .... even with all that , it still doesn't come close to handling like my 02 SCREW w/6.5" fabtech lift and 35"s ... that truck handled like a sports car on rails ... fun to drive on road and off
Old 10-26-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Looks great man. I too have had them on for around 25k miles now and no complaints. I agree they definitely greatly improved body roll.

You could go with heavier Springs but then the truck would really feel like a tank, jarring.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys, and the reassurance from the few that have had them for 25k miles with no problems. Also-Honks, thanks for the suggestions on improving the performance even more. For now, it rides well enough to my liking but I will take your suggestions into consideration in the future if I decide I'm not happy with it. For my truck, adding the shocks and struts did help quite a bit with body roll, night and day from what it was at least. My biggest annoyance with the stock was when I was sitting still waiting to turn in a left turn lane and someone would drive past me on the right about 50-55mph and my truck would just start rocking like a boat in the open seas... Not sure if anyone else has that happen or not. I can tell you that does not happen anymore, i make that same turn on the way home from work everyday, haha...
Old 10-26-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Good looking truck! Ive had mine for about 6 months and about 18k miles with no issues. Where can I get the aftermarket coil springs for our trucks? I've got a set of 5100s on my truck, I just need a new set of springs. Haven't been able to find much besides OEM.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I too did this and this is just the best thing you can do to your truck for handling! This is how the truck should handle. I got the rear sway bar installed as well. Truck handles like a dream now. Exactly what I want. I too used the 1.5" or 2nd setting from the top for my truck. Glad I chose that height as well.

Search this Thread