Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of BakFlip by Bak Industries

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Beware of BakFlip by Bak Industries

I looked long and hard before purchasing a cover for my F-150. I wanted one that would fold up all the way to allow complete access to my bed and didn't want a can in the front of my bed. So after doing quite a bit of research I purchased the Bakflip G2.

The cover is now two years old and the EPDM rubber hinges are shrinking and drawing away from the side seals. This allows water to pour in like it has a screen door! I say it's shrinking, but I suppose it could be that they stretched the hinge pulling it too tight and the glue gave up causing the rubber to retract from under the side. Either way, it leaks like crazy and more of the hinges are starting to do the same.

I understand that there is a one year warranty, but if this is as long as you can expect their product to last, it is an awful expensive disposable item.

I contacted Bak Industries and they offered to sell me another at 30% off of the retail price plus shipping! I thought about this offer and to be quite honest, it sucked! They sell these to their distributors at approx 30% off, so they are out nothing as this is the price they would get from a jobber anyway leaving the consumer to absorb the cost of their either poor design or poor quality materials.

I suppose I will now have to research the Undercover Flex and see how it's holding up as I just won't purchase another item from Bak Industries due to their poor customer service.

Tony
The following 2 users liked this post by lotecredneck:
bluedsteel (02-09-2014), pprior (02-10-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review as I was considering this product, guess I'll keep looking!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

As a first time truck owner, I did a lot of research on the different covers, wanted something solid. I went with Extang due to longer warranties than Bakflip (who cut theirs recently which to me was a bad sign). I also live 10 miles from them, and the "strangle" factor is a big advantage. My Encore has a 3 year warranty, my credit card adds a year onto the warranty too, so that's 4 years.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is irrelevant to the fact of the problems your having, but did you keep the truck outside in the sun or do you have a carport/garage. I have a backflip f1 and have nothing but good things to say about it but I do keep my in a garage .
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Da Dog Whisperer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an Extang Trifecta on my last truck and had a problem with the plastic that held the fabric in the track. I emailed them with a couple photos and got a response the next day. I had to cut out the imprinted model and s.n. from the fabric cover making it unusable but within a week I had an entire brand new top at my door. It was 3 years old at the time. Great customer service from them.

For as much as those G2s cost they should last longer or have a better warranty than just one year.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bdw293
This is irrelevant to the fact of the problems your having, but did you keep the truck outside in the sun or do you have a carport/garage. I have a backflip f1 and have nothing but good things to say about it but I do keep my in a garage .
My truck is always garaged unless I am out of town. I have a garage at my cabin as well so it's pretty much always covered unless traveling.

I like the looks and also the functionality of the cover, but the quality is really suspect at this point. If this had been on a vehicle that was beat on and left out constantly, I might could overlook it, but I am extremely picky about my vehicles.

Tony
Old 02-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 217 Likes on 125 Posts

Meh, one case of a bad cover means **** all, really. Should people stop buying eco's because that one thread where a guy blew his up? Did you leave it outside for 2 years in the blazing sun? Too many variables. I have a G2 and it's great so far.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 04:33 PM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

move the rail over with shims and it will cover? you really know these covers well I notice... *EPDM rubber hinges*

Last edited by byte; 02-09-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 426 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by McCarthy
Meh, one case of a bad cover means **** all, really. Should people stop buying eco's because that one thread where a guy blew his up? Did you leave it outside for 2 years in the blazing sun? Too many variables. I have a G2 and it's great so far.
Probably means something to the OP that paid good money for his!

Having said that I purchased the ROLLBAK Retractable Tonneau Cover for my 2012. Now I had a couple of issues during the install. The biggest PITA was it did not fit right side to side. It was to narrow and no way it would going to work. I had it about half installed and really didn't want to try and send it back. I finally figured out the front bar going across was not measured correctly hence it was to narrow. I spent about hour and half taking it apart, re-drilling and tapping new ones. Then putting it back together. I called BAK AFTER I repaired it and their attitude was less then satisfactory! It was like yea yea.. who cares. No follow up.. no nothing. Lousy customer service for something so expensive imo.

The second issue was the catch basin at the front which has plastic tubes the go through the truck bed and drain water.. LEAKED like sieve. Not to happy with that either. So I inspected it and found the idiots DO NOT use any gaskets to seal the drain fittings. It was plastic to plastic and no way it wasn't going to leak at least on mine. Attempted to take out the drain plugs but that was going to turn into a horror show because of how they are installed. Would have probably had to cut them out of an almost brand new cover!! Anyway I used silicone to finally get it sealed pretty well. Still has a few drips but over all I can live with it.

Called BAK again and they had the exact same attitude of… "Yea yea they could not care less" Sure they were thrilled it wasn't returned but that was about it. I would never buy anything again from them because the over all workmanship is questionable on something this expensive. To compound it customer service simply wants to get you off the phone. It was like I was bothering them with these problems. In fairness perhaps both calls I got a lousy customer service person but it sure doesn't inspire confidence in their products. I also wasn't thrilled with their install instructions which had NO pictures.. NADA!! They did say they were adding pictures so perhaps they've done so……..

Last edited by cthusker; 02-09-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 217 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Probably means something to the OP that paid good money for his!
I paid good money for mine too, but i don't have unreasonable expectations for things. If it's only warrantied for one year, and others are warrantied for 3 years, it's obvious before you buy the quality might not be as good.
The following 2 users liked this post by McCarthy:
RES4CUE (02-09-2014), Toddman38 (02-11-2014)

Quick Reply: Beware of BakFlip by Bak Industries