Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to negotiate price on new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Best way to negotiate price on new truck?

Any tips or secrets I should know to negotiate for lower prices? Not ever really sure how to go about doing it
Old 07-01-2015, 02:06 AM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

One of the best pieces of advice my Grandpa gave me is to NEVER be afraid of walking away from the deal.
If you don't feel you're getting the best deal, trust your gut and look for a better one.
Also, shop around and get at least 2 dealerships to compete for your business. Any dealership that doesn't like it doesn't deserve your business.
The following users liked this post:
MNFX4eco (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Invoice minus current Rebates.

www.truecar.com can be a good starting point for a low price.
The following users liked this post:
MNFX4eco (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 05:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy at the end of the month. Dealers need to turn in their sales numbers at that time to get factory incentives. The greater the numbers, the better incentives they receive. It is a rewards system. I bought my last three new vehicles this way and always got sweet deals. Go to the top 2 or 3 Ford dealers in your area. Start negotiating and walk away if you don't get the deal you want and they'll be calling you back before the last day.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shop over the internet to avoid the high pressure sales tactics used at a dealership. Find the exact truck you're looking for at multiple dealers and play them against each other.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:39 AM
4Runner Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

All of this, plus one simple tactic.

If the deal isn't going your way, stand up. If you have an experienced salesman, he'll stay calm and seated, and you may have to actually start walking away. If your salesman is a newbie (or just really fails at human psychology), he'll stand up too, and get nervous that you're going to walk. In either case, your goal is to make sure they know that you're willing to walk away if the deal isn't right for you. The second they realize that, they'll either become hostile, or start groveling. If they're hostile, walk. If they grovel, tell them what it takes for you to sit back down.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Go Ducks!!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy at the end of the year when they're getting rid of the current year to stock for the next. Great rebates.

Don't be afraid to walk away

Shop around
Old 07-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

I've walked out on every car buying experience I've ever had. They'll try and low ball you on your trade (always ask for more for your trade), and they'll ALWAYS want you to put a few grande down. Don't go in blind either. Do your research and know what rebates are out there. Find out the invoice price for the truck you want. Make sure they understand that you're more than happy to drive down the road or to another city to find another dealer. If you appear too anxious and excited about the truck they're trying to sell you then they'll know that you'll bite on anything they throw at you. After leaving the lot I always got a phone call that started with "So, I talked to my manager and I think we have a deal".
Old 07-01-2015, 08:36 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Never mention what you can afford to pay per month, first.
Negotiate till they're exhausted. Get a final price, go over the terms,, and if it doesn't fit your budget. Walk away. As much as it sucks being that close to a new ride. Walk away!
It's true, these trucks seem to sell themselves, and they may give off the impression, that someone else will come buy it, I'd you don't, but your salesman/dealership wants to make money and move inventory, a bit more than you need to buy from that particular dealer.
One more thing, the extended warranty. Don't get bullied into it. You either want it or you don't. If you feel you're going to keep the truck a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty, should be no more than $1,300.
Finally shop around...it could mean a savings of $5,000 or more.

Sorry to any salesmen, I just made work harder.

Last edited by Masi1926; 07-01-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Sarge

Received 1,639 Likes on 794 Posts

Lots of good advice here, the best one is to shop via Internet and emails. Pin multiple dealers against each other and let them fight for the deals. Do some research on your end and find out current rebates and what invoice is on that particular truck and email them an offer.

I'm no expert but I've purchased 5 new vehicles in the last 5 years. 13 Focus, 14 F250, 10, 12, and 14 F150. I started off by finding a vehicle I was interested in online, emailed the Internet Sales dept and went from there. Don't pay over invoice minus rebates and don't let them tell you they are losing money doing that, Ford gives them more than adequate kick backs from the rebates.

Remember, they have to sell the truck, you don't have to buy it. Especially since you're in the 09-14 section, they want these things gone to sell the 15's.

Last edited by 96grimreaper; 07-01-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Best way to negotiate price on new truck?