Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best time to buy new? (debating Lariat or XLT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Best time to buy new? (debating Lariat or XLT)

Depending on finance cost after rebates and trade-in, I'm looking to get either a new 4x2 Lariat or XLT. The Lariats I've been seeing in the online inventory locator vary from $39-41k sticker, but I've seen people mention on these forums that I should be able to get a truck for $8-10k under MSRP.

I was told being a Chevron employee gets me the truck at invoice price, but not too sure what to make of this. Do other rebates still apply? I think Ford is currently running up to $4500 off cash, or $1000 + 0% APR for 36 mo, according to the Ford.com website. This promo ends June 1.

I'm currently in Baton Rouge but will be moving to Houston at the end of the month. Should I try to buy here, with the current promo? Or should I wait until I move, and hope for another deal coming up in the future? Don't dealers typically have Memorial Day or July 4th sales?

It's been a while since I've bought a new vehicle so I appreciate y'all's input.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM
10 Strlg. Slvr FX4 S-Cab

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The close to invoice price due to you working for Chevron is likely a X-plan price. Call your HR dept. or check your company online website. Either one of those should get you the info you need to get a PIN which is what gives you the X plan price of 4% over invoice. You can haggle equal or better, but it does make an easy buying experience. I would say if you know exactly what you want, you may want to start looking now for the truck you want. The discounts will only get larger as the time goes by, but so will the supply. You'll find some weird combos out there. If you're not particularly in a hurry or mind colors, or certain options or the lack of them, wait; you'll find some great deals. Otherwise start your search now. I was looking a month ago and was able to find what I wanted but had to settle for more options.

Good luck. Oh, and around us in PA most stealerships are not open on holidays but do sometimes have holiday sales. Not sure around you though.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also hoping to buy in the June/July time frame, as long as the rebates and selection remain decent. The rebates far outweigh the potential for mpg increases next year. $7-8k pays for a lot of gasoline...
Old 05-11-2010, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best rebates should be coming out in August. Just before the 2011 models will be showing up at the dealerships. That gives you some time to shop around.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Try the xplan but if you can't get it, you can always get invoice or slightly below invoice with a little negotiation. subtract your rebates after your invoice price. I talked the dealer down to $300 under invoice and then subtracted $6k in rebates.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sturgisfdb
The best rebates should be coming out in August. Just before the 2011 models will be showing up at the dealerships. That gives you some time to shop around.
my dealership here said they have 2011s showing up next month. not sure if he knew what he was talking about though, it constantly surprises me how little dealerships know (but how much they like to act like they know).
Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 PM

don't forget about a free $750 off:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/before...ead-tip-52073/
Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 PM

I spoke with a dealer today in Houston (Mac Haik Ford) that'll sell me a Lariat with the options I want for about $31.5k, sticker is about $39-40k (Plus pkg, chrome step, Sync, cooled seats). He said that price was like $800 below Xplan, but I just went to a dealer in Baton Rouge that showed the Xplan price as being about $36500, with sticker at $39800 ($3300 less). After all rebates it's about $32k in Baton Rouge, but we have higher sales tax and the selection blows.

I asked the Houston dealer what rebates and such I was getting, and he said not to worry about the price and he's going to be giving me a good deal. At this point I'm thinking I may drive over early next week and see what I can get, what do y'all think? He said he'll show me the invoice and rebates and everything, but he made it sound like he's just trying to push them off the lot. Ford's build-your-own site shows Mac Haik as having 200+ F150's, and the next highest in the immediate area only has about 100, so they have a big selection.

Also, he said tradein on my '04 Accord EX-L with manual trans is going to be whatever he could get at an auction. Do y'all recommend just trying to sell it myself on eBay/Craigslist/ads?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:29 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

I recently bought mine, manager whipped out the invoice without me asking and we started dealing. Not having to hardly haggle is great.

I can't remember the exact numbers just sticker was 32,900 and spray in bedliner+ttl+bumper2bumper 75000 premium - 2800 trade for my 99 ranger= 24,622 out the door.

Everything I had thought of and planned on I didn't even have to say, everything was on point. They even had to go to another state to get the truck because they didn't have what I wanted on the lot. Even going to get it I was done in 2 days.

If one place won't act right just go somewhere else. Their fools if they don't. If he won't show you the invoice leave. BTW, when they start talking about the extended warranty, go to http://fordwarrantys.com/, I got the exact price on the site no questions asked. It's stupid to not get the Premium...1100 bucks to take it from 3/36 to 6/75 you'd be a fool not to get it.

Last edited by CoreyMS; 05-11-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Vehicle Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lariat fully loaded $10k under msrp out the door here

Quick Reply: Best time to buy new? (debating Lariat or XLT)