Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed Extender with Spray In Liner

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed Extender with Spray In Liner

I didn't get the bed extender when I bought my 2012 5.0 L Screw with 5.5 foot bed, but now I'm considering it. I noticed on the Ford Accessories site that it says the bed extender is not compatible with spray in bed liners. I have a Line-X in mine and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with a spray in liner and bed extender? Is it true that you can't put a bed extender in with a spray in liner? If so, is there any way to make it fit?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I have exactly the combo you speak of. Line-X + bed extender and it works fine together.

Where the extender locks into the bedrail its a little tight because the locking peg does not line up exactly 100% bit its nothing i could not fix with 5 mins and a dremel. To fix it, i could either slightly shave the rubber feet on the extender or slightly enlarge the hole in the bed rail... But it works fine as is, it just needs a slight bop with your fist/palm when locking the pins in place. Oh and the tailgate peg still works fine.
The following users liked this post:
wgoins04 (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I have Tuff and an extender. works fine.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same combo as well and it works. I also considered shaving the rubber slightly but havent yet.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 AM
FX2 SuperCrew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the BedRug and picked up an older/solid/metal 2004-2008 OEM bed extender on craigslist for the extra rigidity. Both types screw into the same holes.

You could ask the bed-liner tech to screw bolts into the holes when spraying and remove them when he's done to keep the threads clean.

If you get a used extender, make sure you get the mounting bolts (2) and plastic inserts (4).
Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by FiveL
I have the BedRug and picked up an older/solid/metal 2004-2008 OEM bed extender on craigslist for the extra rigidity. Both types screw into the same holes.

You could ask the bed-liner tech to screw bolts into the holes when spraying and remove them when he's done to keep the threads clean.

If you get a used extender, make sure you get the mounting bolts (2) and plastic inserts (4).
Just so I'm clear, the older solid metal ones listed on the Ford Accessories page will fit my truck with no alterations, in the same way as the new flimsy plastic ones?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

To each his own, but the plastic ones are not so flimsy... They also have the ability to tuck behind the wheel wells and not impede the truck bed.

If I am not mistaken, the ALUMINUM ones you have to remove and store if you need to haul something big. If you are already on site then you are SOL.

I would not trade mine for the older style if someone paid me. (with in reason of course)
Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 PM
FX2 SuperCrew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wgoins04
Just so I'm clear, the older solid metal ones listed on the Ford Accessories page will fit my truck with no alterations, in the same way as the new flimsy plastic ones?

Yep, Just make sure you get these 3 pieces on each side... the 2 torx pegs will screw in and the 4 inserts snap/push in. This is my 2012 FX2 (also had it in my 2010 Lariat).

You can also turn it around and let it sit loosely along the tailgate if you need the extra space when hauling something larger. I haven't had any issues that way, but since I haul heavy furniture a lot, the metal one gives me a more secure feeling than the plastic one. The plastic one felt like it had too much side to side motion due to the pivots and collapsing ability.

Last edited by FiveL; 07-29-2012 at 05:10 PM.
wgoins04 (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am guessing that Ford puts the bed extender at the main production line.

Then the truck gets driven to a facility near by to have the bed spray. Maybe they dont want to remove and install the bed extender so Ford says pick one of the other.

I order my 2011 with the bed extender and i got Line-x after i got the truck. There are no problems with the lines and bed extender. Is probably just a logistics issue.
wgoins04 (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 PM

Five L, that's my thoughts exactly. I don't like the idea that the plastic extender collapses on itself. I would rather have a soild piece holding in something heavy than have to worry about a piece of plastic snapping and the extender turning in to a spaghetti noodle holding in a 4 wheeler. Probably all in my head but just makes me feel more comfortable. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Bed Extender with Spray In Liner