Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Bad Catalytic Converter?

I did search but could not find anything that could help better answer my question. 2010 FX4, 5.4L and has 90,000km on it. There are times I will get a rotten egg smell from the exhaust. Dealer just had the truck says exhaust and cats are good. I just took the truck out and ran it WFO for about 1km and pulled over to the side, looked under the truck and both cats were glowing red. Is this a sign they are bad or is this normal? There are no codes as yet either.
Caper3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #2

this doesn't help you but i had a single cat replaced because it was both clogged and broken.

this is on a 5.0 with 60,000km on it.

i believe the one they neglected to replace is starting to clog.
im_eh_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Sounds clogged to me.
Tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

My friend had this problem on his Chevy. There is something you can put in gas to clean it out. I forget what it was called.
TMurphy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #5

Glowing catalytic converter is a symptom of too much fuel.
Eventually it will melt, plug the core.
mk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #6

Any fuel that leaves the combustion chamber unburned will enter the exhaust system and light-off when it reaches the catalytic converter. This can super-heat the converter far above normal operating conditions and cause a meltdown. Possible causes are an incorrect fuel mixture, incorrect timing, corroded spark plugs, a faulty oxygen sensor, faulty fuel injector or a malfunctioning check valve.
2012 FX4, 4X4, 5.0L ExCab,Tuxedo Black, Leather Int. w/ Red Piping. Side Mirror Blackouts, Back-up warning system, Raptor Style Amber LEDs, Wolo Big Bad Max Truck Horn, Trailer Braking System, XM Satellite, Custom Grill and Tailgate Emblems.
RogueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

My car had a slight miss at high rpm. I took it to the dealer and they said the right side catalytic converter was bad. They ordered one and it was changed slightly from the original design, which required the other side to be replaced as well so they would both connect to the new design H-pipe.

The dayum things were $1500 each, and I told them I wasn't interested in paying for the left side that was still good just because the company redesigned the cats.

They told me that even though my car was out of warranty that the catalytic converters were covered for 8 years/80,000 miles.

Apparently down south here in the U.S. the EPA established the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty on cats, so I didn't have to pay anything at all for replacement.

I don't know whether the Canadian version of the EPA has any similar provision, but you might want to check it out.

Bottom line for those of us in the U.S. - if you're having catalytic converter problems and you have less than 8 years/80,000 miles on it, take it in before you run past those numbers!!

Last edited by KR Kodi; 10-16-2014 at 10:33 AM.
KR Kodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #8

X2 ^^^
Old 10-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

My 2012 5.0 litre has had three cats and it even now has only 30,000 km. I received no explanation from Ford. It only burns Shell gas.

Take Care

Green Gem
Green Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR Kodi View Post
My car had a slight miss at high rpm. I took it to the dealer and they said the right side catalytic converter was bad. They ordered one and it was changed slightly from the original design, which required the other side to be replaced as well so they would both connect to the new design H-pipe.

The dayum things were $1500 each, and I told them I wasn't interested in paying for the left side that was still good just because the company redesigned the cats.

They told me that even though my car was out of warranty that the catalytic converters were covered for 8 years/80,000 miles.

Apparently down south here in the U.S. the EPA established the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty on cats, so I didn't have to pay anything at all for replacement.

I don't know whether the Canadian version of the EPA has any similar provision, but you might want to check it out.

Bottom line for those of us in the U.S. - if you're having catalytic converter problems and you have less than 8 years/80,000 miles on it, take it in before you run past those numbers!!

The 8 yr/80,000 mile Emissions Warranty has been in effect since 1972 but more recent was the Design and Defect warranty which began in 1995 for all US vehicles which addressed Manufacturer defects that may cause Emission problems.
2012 FX4, 4X4, 5.0L ExCab,Tuxedo Black, Leather Int. w/ Red Piping. Side Mirror Blackouts, Back-up warning system, Raptor Style Amber LEDs, Wolo Big Bad Max Truck Horn, Trailer Braking System, XM Satellite, Custom Grill and Tailgate Emblems.
RogueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:45 PM