Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else's 2011 F150 AC system suck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Anyone else's 2011 F150 AC system suck?

I have only had my truck two weeks and right off the bat, I noticed the AC system is pitiful..... I have been running it on MAX AC and fan speed on HIGH just to stay somewhat comfortable but....I still end up getting out with sweaty back..... Questioning this, i grabbed my trusty digital thermometer that I use for all my AC work and I was shocked to see the vent temps.... This thing struggles to get below 50* at the vents....after running it for 20-25 mins it will eventually touch 48* for a split second, then the compressor cycles off and the temp jumps to 51-52*.... This is HORRIBLE considering the amount of cab volume we have and ofcourse the black leather...

I noticed that as soon as you start the truck and hit the MAX AC, temps go to the bottom 60s, then after 5-8 mins it goes to the mid to high 50s...then the compressor cycles OFF and the temps go back up to low 60s.... All of this in the first 15 mins or so.....Eventually the cycles slow down and the temps drop to low 50s but..... This is beyond pitiful performance...... Even my 40 year old corvette will get 42* vent temps..... My 06 Chev Silverado crew cab I traded in on this F150 would go from 120* in the vents down to 45* in the vents in about 5 mins....it would usually flatten out at 40-42* and stay in that range....

Is there any updated ECU tunes for the AC system? anyone else been to the dealer for this? For a $45k truck, I EXPECT way more cooling then this......I under stand this is a big cabin with hot leather and it takes a while to cool the CABIN but....the VENT TEMPS should get cold quick, and this one never does...

Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM
xxJinn.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOPE! Works fine.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine sucks but I;ve got 27k miles bought it used. I am going to service it to see if it improves. It sounds like yours is low out of the box.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost 40 days here with temps over 100f.
AC in my truck works fine.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For those of you that have put a thermometer in the vents and tested the discharge temp, please post the number.... Ambient temp and fan speed would be nice also for apples to apples comparisons...

Basically, my system is about 10* warmer then it should be....and it shouldnt be cycling off after first start up with vent temps in the high 50 to low 60 range......

I had an 05 F150 and it would always blow 45* or less....then I had a 2010 F150 and I don't recall ever measuring it BUT I never had a reason to question its performance.....it was always plenty cool, even right after a start up.....

This 50* vent temp stuff is for the birds...
Old 08-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

Took mine to the dealer to have it checked. They told me that they have had a lot of complaints. They have replaced some blend doors as they are not closing all the way.
My 134 level was good. I'm not ready to have them pull the dash apart to check the blend door untill I hear from others that this is the problem.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes its really cool, others not so much.

I always assumed it was the math behind the computer figuring out what temp to send depending on the current temp in the cab. It doesnt just blow the coldest air it can to lower the temp the fastest in order to keep from freezing out people, so it does some alogorithm that says something like, its 85 in the cab, they want the cab at 70, so ill blow out 75 until its 78, then 70 till 72, then 68 till its 70, or something like that......but thats just a wild guess.

Like I said, Ive had it blow out some pretty cold air, then other times its only slightly cool, so let me know what you find, if its a defect Ill get m,ine fixed to
Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

takes a few minutes to get really cold on hot days. but that's expected. I do notice that the truck is bogged down pretty noticeably with the AC on tho. Not something I have noticed to much on my other vehicles.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhyder
Sometimes its really cool, others not so much.

I always assumed it was the math behind the computer figuring out what temp to send depending on the current temp in the cab. It doesnt just blow the coldest air it can to lower the temp the fastest in order to keep from freezing out people, so it does some alogorithm that says something like, its 85 in the cab, they want the cab at 70, so ill blow out 75 until its 78, then 70 till 72, then 68 till its 70, or something like that......but thats just a wild guess.

Like I said, Ive had it blow out some pretty cold air, then other times its only slightly cool, so let me know what you find, if its a defect Ill get m,ine fixed to
++1 Mine seems to sometimes have the ability to freeze your butt off and others it seems to struggle. When mine cycles when your first start the engine its freezing cold even when you dont even have the ac on. Mostly after its ran awhile it cools off very good. Ive also noticed that in manual mode it seems to cool faster??
Old 08-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Alaskan by Choice

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't say I have any problems with mine. It starts off cold and just gets colder, to the point of too cold....keep in mind I live in Alaska, and really don't use it until ambient temp is around 75. The R-134a refrigerant has a different vapor pressure than the R-12 refrigerant in your 40 year old car...in english it means the R-134 will never get as cold as the "old/banned" R-12. I used to do A/C work but not in 15 years and never on cars.

Quick Reply: Anyone else's 2011 F150 AC system suck?