Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone added puddle lights to external mirrors (2010 XLT)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone added puddle lights to external mirrors (2010 XLT)?

LEDS maybe? I have a 2010 XLT with just caps where the puddle lights should be. Has anyone tried to mod these? Where did you get the LEDS/ lights and where did the wiring come from?

I know the puddle lamps come on the 2010 platinum. Anyone want to pop off the lamp and tell me the wire colors?....and maybe the part numbers.

Last edited by delirious; 06-20-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would try these
http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-floodlight
Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I did a "How-To" on adding blinkers for the mirrors and also covered the puddle lights. The part number is: 3F1Z-13B375-AA and is the same for both sides.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard
I did a "How-To" on adding blinkers for the mirrors and also covered the puddle lights. The part number is: 3F1Z-13B375-AA and is the same for both sides.

How did I not find that on a search? thank you. Can you tell me what color the wires are for the puddle lights? You said you ran three wires. Was one hot to the blinker, one hot to the puddle and a common ground for both?

Do you remember the color of the wires from the plug at the mirror for puddle lights? I looked at the diagram but in order to see it, I had to zoom in and it's fuzzy. I plan on running those wires when I take the door panel off to replace the speakers. Was it easy to put in the puddle lights there after. I see you ran the wires but didn't put in the puddle lights at the time. I assume they just plug in and pop right into the holes where the covers were.

Since I allready have LED blinkers, I assume all I need is just a hot wire to the puddle and I can use the common ground for the LED blinker?

Last edited by delirious; 06-21-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Update:

Popped of the door panels today and put in new front speakers. While I had them off I uplugged the mirrors and tested the purple(violet on electrical schematics) wire at the mirror harness. It was the overhead light/ puddle lamps. I tapped into the wire there and after removing the mirrors, I ran them up to the puddle aperature. Essentially, you have to remove the mirrors, remove the mirror itself. Take the 4 torx scres out and take off the back of the mirror casing. You then can run the additional wire. I have LED blinkers on my mirrors, so I will tap into the black wire there for a ground.

I have the puddle lights coming monday and after taking them apart and putting LEDS in (31 mm festoon type), I am good to go. Today, it took me literally 20 minutes per side to install the speakers, take the mirros off and run this wire.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Update

Enclosed housing

Used a carver to score the black plastic around the clear piece

Put in the new LED The clear plastic piece popped off and had enough rim on it to allow it to go back together

Put RTV around the edges and clamped it to dry

These just pop right into the round aperatures under the mirror. I tapped in to the black wire for the LED blinkers and ran the wires from the mirror harness (purple wire on the 2010s) into the mirror and out the aperature. I tested both lamps before sealing them. I now have LED puddle lamps
Old 07-11-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More Info - Puddle Lamps (and additional blinkers)

Do you have a digital video camera? Ever thought of a Youtube video? This is a project I've wanted to do for some time, pretty much since I took delivery of my 2010 Lariat Screw. Maybe some questions first.

Where did you locate the additional blinkers? The orange LED bar under the glass already has directional blinkers (weak imho), did you augment these or replace and where?

Do I understand wiring from the cabin lights already exist in the doors? All you had to do was tap a purple/violet (#11) already within the door enclosure? (Where did you find that schematic? Wish I could copy it.) So these fade in conjunction with the cabin lights? Super!
What intensity LED (puddle lamps) did you use and how did you come up with that?

Thanks so much!
Tom
Old 07-11-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Duross
Do you have a digital video camera? Ever thought of a Youtube video? This is a project I've wanted to do for some time, pretty much since I took delivery of my 2010 Lariat Screw. Maybe some questions first.

Where did you locate the additional blinkers? The orange LED bar under the glass already has directional blinkers (weak imho), did you augment these or replace and where?

Do I understand wiring from the cabin lights already exist in the doors? All you had to do was tap a purple/violet (#11) already within the door enclosure? (Where did you find that schematic? Wish I could copy it.) So these fade in conjunction with the cabin lights? Super!
What intensity LED (puddle lamps) did you use and how did you come up with that?

Thanks so much!
Tom
Check the post above where I provided the link to the how-to and my album as well for schematics/wiring diagrams.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Where did you locate the additional blinkers?

Additional blinkers? I tapped into the blinkers in the mirror for the LED modification of the front amber reflector. There's a tutorial on her somewhere.

The orange LED bar under the glass already has directional blinkers (weak imho), did you augment these or replace and where?

No, I didn't change them. Not sure what you mean.

Do I understand wiring from the cabin lights already exist in the doors?

Yes, they do

All you had to do was tap a purple/violet (#11) already within the door enclosure?

Yes, that's right.

(Where did you find that schematic? Wish I could copy it.)

I used a volt meter and watched the voltage as the interior lights dimmed and shut off and back on. Same wire. BUt I did use a schematic off another post.

So these fade in conjunction with the cabin lights?

Yes they do

I purchased what you see in the picture. I didn't really have a choice in intensity from where I bought them. I just bought the ones with the most LEDS. They work great in my opinon. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Ffestoon.html 31mm festoon

Last edited by delirious; 07-11-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by delirious
Where did you locate the additional blinkers?

Additional blinkers? I tapped into the blinkers in the mirror for the LED modification of the front amber reflector. There's a tutorial on her somewhere.

I see, so you installed additonal blinkers on the front of the mirror where the orange reflective bar is. Interesting. I'll try and find that tutorial.

The orange LED bar under the glass already has directional blinkers (weak imho), did you augment these or replace and where?

No, I didn't change them. Not sure what you mean.

I purchased what you see in the picture. I didn't really have a choice in intensity from where I bought them. I just bought the ones with the most LEDS. They work great in my opinon. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Ffestoon.html 31mm festoon
I'm going to look into those, I really want to add the puddle lamps.
Thanks very much to both of you for sharing this. If I have future questions, I'll be sure to post them. Thanks again!
TD

Quick Reply: Anyone added puddle lights to external mirrors (2010 XLT)?