Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions about screeching noise?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Any suggestions about screeching noise?

I have the 3.7L V6 2011 XLT and I put an aftermarket catback SIDO flowmaster super 44 exhaust with duals coming out the back. As most of u guys know there is a pipe that connects both of the cats and on that pipe there is a heat shield with one side welded to the pipe while the other is held to the pipe with a copper band or something similar. My problem is after the truck runs for a while I get an annoying screeching noise from that area. My guess is the pipe that connects both of the cats vibrates a lot because of the aftermarket exhaust and is causing the copper band to move which possibly causes the heat shield to grind against the pipe maybe and causing the screeching noise. I put a clamp on the band to hold it in place and that didn't help. Any ideas?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Bumper.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Rear bumper.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by idb2
I have the 3.7L V6 2011 XLT and I put an aftermarket catback SIDO flowmaster super 44 exhaust with duals coming out the back. As most of u guys know there is a pipe that connects both of the cats and on that pipe there is a heat shield with one side welded to the pipe while the other is held to the pipe with a copper band or something similar. My problem is after the truck runs for a while I get an annoying screeching noise from that area. My guess is the pipe that connects both of the cats vibrates a lot because of the aftermarket exhaust and is causing the copper band to move which possibly causes the heat shield to grind against the pipe maybe and causing the screeching noise. I put a clamp on the band to hold it in place and that didn't help. Any ideas?
Bring it to the exhaust shop and let them take a look at it
Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM

I did that already and they have no clue why it would be doing what it is doing because they do a lot of the new 5.0 V8s without that problem. It is the fact that maybe my V6 engine can't handle all the exhaust pressure (while a more powerful V8 can) and it causes the pipe to vibrate more than it should, causing the screeching with the heat shield and all that. If I weld the other side, it probably wouldn't help because of the clamp I used earlier that would give similar effects. I either need to create more space between the heat shield and the pipe, remove the heat shield completely, or place something in the middle to prevent the screeching. But what on earth could I put that can handle something that gets so hot?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you choose to put something between the two squeaky pieces... Might I suggest try using high temperature silica based tape (welders tape I think its sometimes called) or cutting a piece of a silicon baking dish. Those dishes can withstand temperatures of 500+ degrees! Depending on how far down stream you are, it may withstand the temps by itself. Sounds crazy I know, but i have used them (in the oven of course, not a vehicle), and they work! Now, guys don't go bashing me because I like to cook... My wife likes it! LOL! You could probably find one of the "dishes" at your local home store... Whatever that might be, in the cookware section.

Or if that isn't heat resistant enough, try this Pyro-Tape 682-TB or something similar... Maybe that will work? Might be more expensive than the fix requires though, no sure of the price of this stuff. At least this gives you something to think about or somewhere to start if you choose this route...Could always wrap the baking dish with it for cushioning and have the thermal limit of the tape? Maybe? I am just rambling and guessing at this point and may be of no help at all, so here is a link or two to check out...

http://www.aremco.com/product/a10/

http://www.avsind.com/slittape.html
Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 PM

I appreciate the suggestions. I wouldn't want to stick another piece of metal in between but tape might sound like it would do the trick. I just need to find away to prevent metal from grinding against each other.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 PM

If by another piece of metal, you are referring to the baking dish, they are actually silica rubber! Not metal at all!! Cheap too!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 PM

Silica rubber might work, but we all know what happens to rubber at very hot temperatures. Will it be able to withstand how hot the pipe gets? Remember, this pipe connects both of the cats.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 PM

Hmmmm, must have read the post wrong or missed something, I was visualizing further downstream! You are very correct about hot rubbers! LOL! Don't think that it would hold up to that heat... The thermal tape with silica cloth backing may be the best answer... Worth a shot, if its not that expensive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any suggestions about screeching noise?