Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 4-Speed Trans shifting issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 4-Speed Trans shifting issues?

Is anyone experiencing problems with their 4-speed transmission with regards to shifting like the 6-speeds are having? I'm considering buying the 4-speed stx and hoping theirs no documented problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JD
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 AM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have found my 6 speed to shift VERY well. I would say way more are happy than not.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Boilermaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 4-Spd STX 4X4 and had to have the shifter cable adjusted after 500 miles. Since the adjustment it seems to be working fine.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

[quote=greggebhardt;221363]I have found my 6 speed to shift VERY well. I would say way more are happy than not.[/quote]

You beat me to the post. I was about to echo the same sentiment.

The new 6-speed A/T seems to be a very well engineered unit and built with strong components, unlike some Ford and GM transmissions in the past.

I do not view this minor/sporadic shifting issue, as a 'problem'.

This transmission is a very computer based component and the glitch seems to be more program related than anything mechanical. Moreover, Ford has a fix for this glitch, so it appears to be resolved easily for those who have experienced it.

In my case, it disappears within literally one or two minutes (one or two cycles of the lower gear range) of driving time in the a.m. and is not really anything that causes a problem for me at all. I am not going to go to the dealer and have them flash it, as it just is not that big of an issue, and most likely with a few thousand more miles, will just go away.

I love the economy that the drive train produces, compared to my old technology 4 speed in my '04 F250. I love the way it performs climbing grades and also descending them with a load. Heck, I had a Silverado back in the early 80's that had an engine idle speed, almost as high as what the tach reads when I am on the freeway at 65 mph, in my new F150 !!

I did not buy one of the '08's that were discounted greatly at the end of last model year, just so I could have the new 6-speed, among other major advancements with this great truck.

Did I ever mention, how much I love my new '09 XLT 4X4 Screw !!???
Old 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I drive my 2009 Platinum from Jacksonville to Amelia Island today and I could not be more happy. You are right and at highway speeds the engine is turning little RPM and has plenty ob torque, depress the pedal a little more and it smoothly shifts from 6th to 5th for that extra needed power. I find the 6 speed is very well behaved.

Quick Reply: Any 4-Speed Trans shifting issues?