Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another whirring /grinding hub noise....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Frito Bandito

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another whirring /grinding hub noise....

Has Ford found a fix for this yet ?
I got my 2012 Platinum back from the dealer yesterday for the second time for the same issue. This time they said they split the Tcase ,meanwhile i had stated the noise was from the right front area. And they found nothing. They greased the hub area and told me that Ford is working on this issue and there was nothing else they could do till Ford finds a fix....I read a few posts on this and the hub staying partly engaged is what it sounds like to my ears. You can actually feel it on the shifter and steering wheel.I've had many earlier Fords with manual hubs and heard them make that same noise when they didn't fully engage . all be it much louder. It sounds like many people are having this same issue and that you would think they would at the very least rule out the hub by trying a new one on it. According to the dealer they did experience the noise which is a good thing and it is recorded on record.

Last edited by White-Platinum; 04-17-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:49 AM

Mine did that. It was a vacum leak at the nipple in the locking hub... jb weld issue resolved... I dont think stealership even tests for that.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by White-Platinum
Has Ford found a fix for this yet ?
I got my 2012 Platinum back from the dealer yesterday for the second time for the same issue...
Hi White-Platinum,

Thanks for the PM; I responded this morning. Check out your inbox for my message and let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Crystal
Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Niceguy,

Do you have any step by step instructions and pics for the fix?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Frito Bandito

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi White-Platinum,

Thanks for the PM; I responded this morning. Check out your inbox for my message and let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Crystal
As I stated above I had it there twice already and was told that's all they can do until ford finds a fix.
You reccomended I take it to the dealer when they say they can't fix it till Ford comes up with a fix.
Hmmm...Now am I getting the runaround ? Did they replace the hub .. No.
The Ford hotline tech makes the call on the repairs why would they not reccomend replacing a hub if the noise is in that area?
They say they haven't found a fix but maybe just maybe that might be the cause.
Then they can remedy many many people of this complaint.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat with my 2013 Platinum EcoBoost. I would even be interested in a temporary fix because I feel like it is damaging the truck. Dealer says the sound is normal and won't do anything to resolve it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Frito Bandito

Originally Posted by ceedub1170
I'm in the same boat with my 2013 Platinum EcoBoost. I would even be interested in a temporary fix because I feel like it is damaging the truck. Dealer says the sound is normal and won't do anything to resolve it.
Normal......If it had made that noise upon your original road test when it was new would you have purchased it ?
How can they make a statement like that ....
The way it sounded off the showroom floor IS NORMAL grinding is not normal.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I am going to reopen this, has anyone had any luck from their dealers regarding this? I have 16k on my '14, and it started last week. Put it into 4wd, it goes away. Back to 2, and it comes back. I took it apart, cleaned and regreased, and it seems like it worked, then it will do it at random times, like I already had some damage and it slips.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chamberlin_d
I am going to reopen this, has anyone had any luck from their dealers regarding this? I have 16k on my '14, and it started last week. Put it into 4wd, it goes away. Back to 2, and it comes back. I took it apart, cleaned and regreased, and it seems like it worked, then it will do it at random times, like I already had some damage and it slips.

I've been ignoring this noise for three years now in cooler weather and everything still works fine. It seems like the cheaper option at this point (out of warranty).
Old 03-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Generally Unqualified

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/
The following users liked this post:
chamberlin_d (03-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Another whirring /grinding hub noise....