Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another DIY under-seat storage box (with measurements)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Post Another DIY under-seat storage box (with measurements)

Yep, yet another DIY under-seat storage build. I got the idea from other members here but I don't want to hijack any threads so here's a quick write-up of my own.

I went the simple route. This "box" is really a 3-sided wall that keeps everything tucked under the rear seats. It's made of OSB chip board covered in automotive carpet and kept in place with 2 bungee cords. Overall length is 36" because I have the factory sub installed. It has no bottom but I think the Weathertech mat complements it well.

Materials and dimensions:

Note: The longer side-wall piece is the driver's side. I didn't end up using the PL adhesive shown in the photo. I decided it wasn't necessary as the staples hold the carpet to the OSB pretty well.

1. I cut the OSB to the dimensions shown above. I rounded off the bottom corners of each side-wall and also added a slight concave curve to the top edge (just eyeballed it).

2. Next, I cut pieces of automotive carpet and stapled it to the pieces of OSB using a standard staple gun with short 1/4" staples.

3. After that I used a brad nailer and tacked all the pieces together using 1 1/4" long staples. To add strength, I screwed in a small L-bracket on each side.

4. Lastly, I screwed metal cable brackets to each side of the interior. These serve as attachment points for the bungee cords. The other end of the bungee cords are hooked to bolts sticking out of the floor of the cab (see last photo).

Last edited by kobayashi maru; 11-22-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:30 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice work, looks factory!
The following users liked this post:
kobayashi maru (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 04:57 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

What's the cheapest place for auto carpet? Amazon has a 20'x4' for $24.19 shipped.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine at walmart, 9 bucks and matches the black carpet almost exact
Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Very nice work!! I was thinking about doing the same thing but with an add on also. Making the storage bin able to accept a top carpeted board so my dogs can sit on that and not my nice seats. I could extend the platform out further towards the back of the front seats to give them both more room. I hate the thought of their nails digging into the leather. I guess I could support the front section with some simple pillar standoffs.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by SteveLord
What's the cheapest place for auto carpet? Amazon has a 20'x4' for $24.19 shipped.
I bought it at Canadian tire in a 36" x 72" roll which was the perfect width. About $10. I'm sure you can find something similar at any auto parts shop in the US.

Originally Posted by 40mm
Very nice work!! I was thinking about doing the same thing but with an add on also. Making the storage bin able to accept a top carpeted board so my dogs can sit on that and not my nice seats. I could extend the platform out further towards the back of the front seats to give them both more room. I hate the thought of their nails digging into the leather. I guess I could support the front section with some simple pillar standoffs.
Thanks man. Maybe you can design a hinged lid for it. You could probably even tie the lid to the underside of the seat so that they lift together when you don't have your dogs with you. You can also build it out further forward if you want more deck space. I decided to leave a bit of heel room but I don't think it was really necessary.

Last edited by kobayashi maru; 11-23-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 AM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

If you want the under seat storage and a fold out flat surface for your dogs, you may want to look at how Ram did it and copy the basic ideas from them and adapt it to your use.

The Ram storage cover latches, the fold out portion is attached to the cover and the support stanchions are attached to the fold out section and support the lid when extended.

Pretty simple really, and no sense trying to reinvent the thing.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:11 AM

That's pretty nifty actually

Quick Reply: Another DIY under-seat storage box (with measurements)