Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ancillary question in relation to audio in a 2010 FX4 extended cab 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ancillary question in relation to audio in a 2010 FX4 extended cab 4x4

Sorry for being all newbieish but it's been a few yrs since I worked on / customized a car/truck. Two quick questions:

1) I know in my mustang GT they used standard wiring harness that had the connectors for options even if you did not get that specific option as it reduced the different versions of the harness they had to stock. Would the connection for the subwoofer be in place even if I only had the standard setup with the changer satellite etc etc with Sync? I really hate running cables but will if need be.

2) Again this is the 2 line LCD display radio with Sync. Does this thing even have a sub output? I would doubt it but was kind of hoping it would.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

can't answer #1 as i am new to the f150 world but the answer to #2 is no.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No the wire is not there if you don't have the Sony system with sub from the factory. I looked at the same thing when I got my 2010 FX4. A buddy of mine has it in his Lariat and honestly I was not impressed. I bought the plug in line out converter from PAC audio and wired in a Rockford Fosgate amp and 12in subwoofer and replaced the door speakers with some 6x8 also from RF and the sound is much better than the stock Sony system.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:56 PM

Thanks. Looking at getting the Kicker door replacement kit and a Kicker box / amp they make some decent kits that have all the needed stuff in them sans the PAC pox which I can grab pretty cheaply.
Not lookin to rattle my teeth out just get decent audio that isnt muted/muddy past half volume when I feel the need to rock out
Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 AM

Ended up going with Rockford Fosgate door speakers and the kicker box in the back. Opted to use the unit to convert to low level inputs so the rear speakers didn't get a draw down on them as well. Should end up with a pretty decent sounding system but not one that will rattle the neighborhood.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 PM

So I installed all 4 RF door speakers. Went with the Prime 2 way speakers and wow.... The difference is night and day. Fairly decent bass already and I haven't even hooked up the amp/sub yet. You can really tell the difference in the speakers when you hold them as far as weight of magnets etc goes.
Ran out of daylight but did get the powered sub wiring for power/remote on run. Will hook up the sub this weekend after i tear into the center console to find the speaker wires for the line converter to splice into. Thanks for the wiring diagrams and helpful articles throughout this site.
Anyone got suggestions on an aftermarket head unit? I've already noticed how the factory unit cuts out bass after mid volume. This may not be an issue with the sub but would like to have the touch screen etc and retain my sync features. Suggestions on stuff needed and appreciated.

Last edited by NetRngr; 03-08-2017 at 02:28 PM.