Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
LGP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMSOIL question

I am approaching time for an oil change and would like to put Amsoil in my 2009 F150. The only problem I am facing is that after searching Amsoil's products I see that they do not offer 5W-20 oil. They instead offer 0W-20 that they claim meets all Ford requirements. I am wondering if any of you know if this is true or if they are just trying to sell me their product. If I use this oil will it void the warranty or anything like that? I have experience with Amsoil in Chevy vehicles and I feel that is very good. I would appreciate it if any of you out there that are smarter than me on this would let me know. Thanks for any help!

Larry
Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 AM

Recommending 5W-20 is a scam. Car companies are recommending it now because it bumps up their CAFE rating by a little bit, as it gets a tiny fraction better mileage. But... it's lower viscosity and it will wear your engine out significantly quicker.

Unless you live somewhere that gets really cold, there's no sense in paying extra for the 0w. 0w-30 or 5w-30 or 10w-30 (you get the point) will keep your engine a lot healthier in the long run. And I'm fairly certain that the car companies aren't even allowed to void your warranty as long as the oil you're using is up to API spec.

Last edited by emjaymj; 09-10-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 AM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

Amsoil does sell a 5W-20 oil: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlm.aspx

As far as 5W-20 oil being a scam:

I was under the impression that oils with lower viscosities (e.g. 5W-20) were recommended for OHC engines so that the (relatively) thinner oil can lubricate faster.

Found mention of this: http://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_viscosity.htm

IANAChE.

Edit: found your reasoning here: http://bestsyntheticoil.com/info/5w20-cafe.shtml
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dun dun dunnnnnnnn.... A new oil thread this makes 3 since I joined. I learned my lesson and am avoiding all confrontation
Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Quixoticelixer
Dun dun dunnnnnnnn.... A new oil thread this makes 3 since I joined. I learned my lesson and am avoiding all confrontation
EXACTLY !!!

Here we go again . . .
Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Run 5w-30 or run 5w-20, doesnt really matter. If you have engine problems I highly doubt Ford would be able to tell what viscosity oil is in your engine unless you told them. Unless you were in an extremely cold climate(below zero a lot) I would not run the 0w-20, just stick with the 5w-20 or 5w-30. The XL oil in 5w-20 is really good oil. I you are going to run the 5w-30, I recommend the ASL series oil, its a bit more expensive than the XL, but its also a better oil IMO.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwill
EXACTLY !!!

Here we go again . . .
I could really pee in some corn flakes here...
I like royal purple
Old 09-10-2009, 03:58 PM

5W-30 is just more available around here so it irks me if 5W-20 is being called for if it is not really required. Frankly I just don't know whether the reason they call for it is the CAFE theory or something else.

What I do know is that Ford has been calling for it a long time (as others here have pointed out). I don't know if people are seeing their engines need a overhaul sooner. Might never know becaues I tend to keep my vehicles longer tha most others - 300000 km + is not uncommon for me. My last Honda Accord was using 5W-30 and had 300000 km when I sold it and was going strong.

Amsoil does make a 5W-20 XL which meets API spec - along with 5W-30 which also does.

Amsoil's 0W-20 and 0W-30 does not meet API spec. I think they claim it is because of phosporous content or something. I don't know if the oil is any better - I would prefer a 0W-20 being here in Canada but I'm not going to be going past the recommended service interval of 12500km i.e. 7500 miles so I figure I am just ifne with the 5W-20.

I do know that if you take a 5W-30 oil to a dealer they will come back and tell you that you need 5W-20 and if you insist then they will put it in anyway. Now if you have engine problems - regardless of what caused them - I would not want ot be in a position of not having used the 'recommended' stuff. Just not worth the hassle for me.

I wish there was a lot more clarity about all of this. Until there is. I will mee the manufacture's requirements EXACTLY. I will use AMSOIL because I do believe that they make a better oil - but I will stick to the API certified 5W-20 XL which is what Ford recommends and I will stick to Ford's very generous oil change interval of 7500 mile. I expect my engine will last a long time by doing this. Will it ? Ask me in about 300000 km.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

statikuz, informative links. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

quote=johnwill;255937]EXACTLY !!!

Here we go again . . .[/quote]

Amen!

Talking about oil, is like trying to talk about contemporary politics in the USA.

Many here have there own opinion, whether is is based on fact and/or engineering data, or not.

My opinion is that as long as you change the oil frequently (about every 5K in my view) and use a quality API rated oil, you will not have any problems with premature engine wear, nor with the Ford warranty.

I have used 5-20 in all my vehicles since they started to recommend that weight oil, and I have never, ever, had an engine related problem or issue. Moreover, I do not waste my money on any of that after market additive junk. It even specifically says not to add this stuff in 2009 owners manual.

But each to his own; if you want to use R-P and change it every 100 miles or 24 hours, whichever comes first, more power to you.

In the past 20 years, the most I have ever had in the way of a mechanical problem, was a faulty alternator. One on a fairly new 1994 Suburban, at about 15K, and another on a 1989 full size Bronco, after about 65K.

My last three Ford trucks/SUV's have never had a mechanical issue, other than normal brake and battery replacements. I do not anticipate any issues with my new F150 and I plan on trading it in on a new 'Oh14' !!

John, "oh14" is humor!

Quick Reply: AMSOIL question