Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amateur (HAM) / Commercial Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amateur (HAM) / Commercial Radio Install

I recently installed a Powerwerx DB-750X radio in my 2012 F150 Lariat Supercrew and I thought I would share a photo of the install (since I looked for lots of them when I was trying to figure out what to do.)

Amateur (HAM) / Commercial Radio Install-kqxvatd.jpg

It has a remote head which I installed above the Nav system in the space that would have been used for Sync if I didn't have Nav. I just removed the rubber pad and used some double sided removable sticky tape. The size is such that it fits perfectly.

I used a flat ethernet cable to connect to the main unit that I installed behind right side passenger seat, routing the cable through a hole I drilled under the rubber mat on tray on top of the dash. Then the cable went under the panels along the bottom passenger side to the back. Also routed power from the battery to the back along the same path.

Had trouble figuring out what to do with the Mic. Right now I took a 2x4 and cut a piece and trimmed it to fit in the useless pocket to the right of the Nav then wrapped it in electrical tape. Seems to work so far.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice.

I should look into getting my license
Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by TexasEd
Nice.

I should look into getting my license
The entry level is really easy and usually pretty cheap.... ~$15. And you can Baofeng radio for super cheap as well... ~$40. That gives you 4 watts, same as CB. There are repeaters all over the country though that will extend your range substantially.

I got mine in case something happened outside cell phone range. This radio has 50 watts.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Are these compatible with Marine radios?
can you hear/talk to fishing boats?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM

It does cover those frequencies, however I don't believe it is approved by the FCC for that purpose.

Unless you have a true emergency and marine frequencies are your only option then all options are on the table.

You can, of course, listen to them all day long, it is just the transmissions that aren't legal.
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (05-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2014, 04:24 PM

Forgot to mention the antenna. It was routed through the vents behind the seats (just so happened to be large enough for a PL259 connector to fit) and then it is mag mounted to the bed cover. Long term, I'll probably change that, but it works for now and it is nice to have an "always available" install rather than carrying around the HT and plugging/unplugging it. I like having the antenna behind me as opposed to the front fender mount I had before as that was always in my vision.

I do like the location because I can push on the buttons and the radio head doesn't move at all. It is fully supported on the bottom and the back. Plus it is up high enough to see it without taking my eyes off the road but low enough not to get in the field of vision or be easily seen by people walking by the truck.

I think I'll probably add an external speaker to the installation. The one in the radio's mic isn't great and the one on the radio body is a little far away and a little bit muffled but it does work fine for now.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 PM

I'd rather have something like

To mount the mic clip.

Does anyone know what the name for that spot on the dash is called or any other mounts that fit in it? $30 seems steep for a simple piece of plastic.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice install, also nice to know a 259 will fit through the vents!

Makes me want to find the remote mount kit for my kenwood now lol
Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bplv
I'd rather have something like

To mount the mic clip.

Does anyone know what the name for that spot on the dash is called or any other mounts that fit in it? $30 seems steep for a simple piece of plastic.
This should help...
http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-..._leftorright=0

pricey but worth it...Proclips does great work. Not sure you'll find another product that is this cheap that doesn't require drilling
Old 01-30-2014, 01:10 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

If anyone is interested:

A tweaked and peaked Cobra 148 GTL/DX (w/fm) that runs 10 meter.

PM if interested
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (05-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Amateur (HAM) / Commercial Radio Install