Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I too picky with Leer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Am I too picky with Leer?

I got the top of the line F-150. I was talked into Leer over Snug-Top. I paid for the top of the line Leer 100XQ top. The first picture shows a big gap at the right front of the shell exposing the plastic bed rail cap. The second shows a overlap and gap at the left rear. I would like it to overlap all the way around. Or at least be the same all the way around. The dealer gave me excuse after excuse, saying the shells are hand made, only as good as the truck they take measurements from, each truck is different, my truck is not perfect etc. Had them take the thing off and return it to Leer. We'll see how well Leer does. I hope there is someone from Leer who looks at this web site. I'd like to say to everyone how happy I was with the top. But I told the dealer to prepare to give me my money back if it doesn't fit better when it comes back.

The second picture doesn't quite show the problem. You can almost see how it fits well toward the front. It does not show how you can put your (my) fingers between the bed and the shell on the driver side, but it is flush on the passenger side.

What are your thoughts?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

I had one (an ARE) on my old truck and was pretty happy with it. There's a certain amount of movement and shimming that comes with the territory though. I'd think a decently thick double sided stick tape would take outr some of the movement, and you can always 'pinch the shell' to square it up once you have some of the clamps attached from the inside...

The first pic should definitely sit flush though, but I think your second picture is not too bad of a fit...
Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ji603
I had one (an ARE) on my old truck and was pretty happy with it. There's a certain amount of movement and shimming that comes with the territory though. I'd think a decently thick double sided stick tape would take outr some of the movement, and you can always 'pinch the shell' to square it up once you have some of the clamps attached from the inside...

The first pic should definitely sit flush though, but I think your second picture is not too bad of a fit...

Those pictures are with the shell all clamped down. It has about two rolls of foam tape all over to try and "pinch" it into position. The shell fit level prior to them trying to MickeyMouse it to fit. That was the best they could do. There was no movement of the shell. I drove it around for a day to see if it would move or settle.

My previous truck had a Stockland shell. It fit absolutely perfect the first time. Never a leak or problem.

I guess what you are saying is I AM too picky for wanting the shell to be the same on both sides of the truck. My wife and the dealer agree with you.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the paint actually looks really good IMO, great color match, and I also agree the second pic looks great to me, looks like how I would like it to fit. I agree that I do not like the plastic on the front showing, but unfortunately what the installer said is mostly true, they only measure a very few trucks and use the best size that is going to fit all, to have it be perfect, each truck would have to be exactly the same, unfortunately they are not. Seems the installer/leer would be able to provide shims and use bending to get it to fit just right though...
Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The shells are made from a mold and should all be the same(at least on the outside, the inside can vary do to material thickness variation from the operator). The truck beds are stamped and should all be the same. If I had to guess I would say the shell was pulled from the mold to green (i.e. it was not fully cured) when this happens, the part can warp a little and lose it's shape. If you're not happy I would push for a new one.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing your pics I went out and checked the fit on my Leer. I definitely could not live with the fit of the vertical overlap on the first pic. Mine completely covers the bed rail all the way around and I measured the horizontal overhang all the way around on mine. The front of the shell is 3/8" on both sides and 1/4" on both sides in the rear. I can life with this small discrepancy.
Hope you get things worked out. Don't give up until you are happy with it.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

I understand and I also would be picky too but here is what I think....

Fiberglass does flex and depending on how it has been sitting at factory, shipping, etc., it could be a hair off. I would have addressed the issue but I would have said to the manager, lets give it a week to flex and form with the warmth and see if the gap closes itself.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a bottom of the line ARE and am extremely pleased with the cap. It overhangs the rail so I can only see the black rail cap by looking up from under the cap. The dealer told me that the cap will warp if it isn't supported over the length of the entire rail when it is taken off. If yours wasn't supported properly it may have warped. Most of the leer caps I looked at on trucks fit well. Leer was more expensive and I bought the ARE in Delaware (no sales tax) so it was quite a bit cheaper.

Jim
Old 03-14-2010, 01:42 AM

The color match is acceptable. It is ever so slightly off, but I wouldn't complain about it. I asked the installer if we should wait and see if it changes over time. The installer stated it would not change over time, and that was the best he could do. He stated he has installed hundreds of caps, and I believe him. It is hard to describe, but I measured the front of the cap on the driver side against the passenger side. The driver side front is longer. I think they trimmed the bottom and did not trim it flat. The installer said it would be at least a four week turnaround. I'll keep you all informed.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cockeyed

I would have to believe that their quality control person was out to lunch. I have never seen a Leer Cap seated that poorly. I have a Leer and no problems; everything lines up.

Get them to send you another one.

Quick Reply: Am I too picky with Leer?