Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Issues After Level And Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:20 PM
US ARMY

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Alignment Issues After Level And Tires?

I finally got around to installing my 2" Level kit and 35x12.50x20 tires. I took it to the alignment shop this morning, when i got it back the paperwork shows that its back within spec however after i left the shop it was slowly veering to the left. I brought it back this evening and they re adjusted it again. My steering wheel isn't completely straight. I'd say its about 95% straight though. Is this condition normal for having a level kit and 35" tires?
Thanks,
Old 07-27-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by yones12
I finally got around to installing my 2" Level kit and 35x12.50x20 tires. I took it to the alignment shop this morning, when i got it back the paperwork shows that its back within spec however after i left the shop it was slowly veering to the left. I brought it back this evening and they re adjusted it again. My steering wheel isn't completely straight. I'd say its about 95% straight though. Is this condition normal for having a level kit and 35" tires? Thanks,
Always needs an alignment after installing level kit, but all should be normal when alignment is complete. Steering wheel should be straight, should be no noticeable difference.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM
US ARMY

Originally Posted by tomasulo
Always needs an alignment after installing level kit, but all should be normal when alignment is complete. Steering wheel should be straight, should be no noticeable difference.
When i took it back the 2nd time the mechanic told me he adjusted it all the way max. I think it was the camber? Idk. I might see if they have another location and take it there and have them redo it.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by yones12
When i took it back the 2nd time the mechanic told me he adjusted it all the way max. I think it was the camber? Idk. I might see if they have another location and take it there and have them redo it.
Yea - the alignment may have some issues but the steering wheel should be straight - that's the shops error.

Had a tire shop near me that would NEVER get the steering wheel straight. I'd bring it in for tires, TELL THEM SPECIFICALLY to make sure the steering wheel was straight. Took it back over and over until I finally went to a different shop. They did it right the first time.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 PM
US ARMY

Originally Posted by justjimmy
Yea - the alignment may have some issues but the steering wheel should be straight - that's the shops error.

Had a tire shop near me that would NEVER get the steering wheel straight. I'd bring it in for tires, TELL THEM SPECIFICALLY to make sure the steering wheel was straight. Took it back over and over until I finally went to a different shop. They did it right the first time.
When i put my steering wheel straight the truck will slowly veer left.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 6in lift and my steering wheel was slightly off took it to the shop and the alignment fix it back to normal.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Poor job by the shop. I've had a dozen newer lifted fords. 2-4". I honestly couldn't sleep if my wheel wasn't straight when my truck was.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

The challenge is finding a good shop. If you find a shop that can do an alignment properly, keep it as your preferred shop. If you ever get an alignment and end up with the steering wheel off centre..give them one more shot then cut your losses and find somewhere else. The shop I use now got my alignment perfect, I didn't have to ask for a straight steering wheel, because the mechanic said one of his biggest pet peeves is an off centre steering wheel!

Ian
Old 07-28-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

The camber issue could be due to you or who installed the level kit loosening off the lower control arm bolts. These are very hard to get back into proper alignment without buying adjustable camber cam bolts for the lower control arms.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 183 Likes on 112 Posts

Are you sure it's not the roads your driving on? Sometimes on the highway it can create a "left slant".

If not- your alignment shop/ guy sucks

Quick Reply: Alignment Issues After Level And Tires?