Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Backup Camera advice, maybe also a forward camera?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Aftermarket Backup Camera advice, maybe also a forward camera?

I'm looking to install a backup Camera in my truck. I never had the factory backup camera, and I don't have the factory video display. Just the standard boring stereo. Unfortunately most of the info I have found when searching refers to the OEM camera, which is useless for me.

I'm looking for a
  • high quality picture display device.
  • good night vision
  • good resolution
  • Waterproof
  • Dustproof
  • Shockproof (for off-roading)

And what would be nice is the ability to wire in a second camera so I can mount one up front, and see exactly before I hit something or what my front tires are doing. I _think_ you have to flip the picture when using one in the front.

Here's one I was looking at
Amazon Amazon

It has proprietary connections though, so adding other cameras means buying their one at $100 per camera.
Not sure how I am going to mount it, as it's pretty large

Any other suggestions?
I'd rather not have to replace the head unit, as that would add alot of cost to this project.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 310 Likes on 249 Posts

This probably isn't going to help you but... I've got a iPad float mount and bought this WiFi camera.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by NastyFFX4
This probably isn't going to help you but... I've got a iPad float mount and bought this WiFi camera.

Thanks Man. How does it work?
I was reading that I should stay away from wireless cameras due to interference issues, so I was leaning more towards wired.

Also, when running it in front like that, is the image flipped?

Not sure where to mount a 7" monitor either. Thinking right next to the rear-view mirror.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 310 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytann
Thanks Man. How does it work?
I was reading that I should stay away from wireless cameras due to interference issues, so I was leaning more towards wired.

Also, when running it in front like that, is the image flipped?
Well, I actually just got it installed today. It works fine, no issues with connecting to the camera. The picture isn't very good but it's not a fault of it being WiFi, only the camera quality. The transmitter that sends the signal to the tablet or phone does have the ability to connect a different camera. My camera image wasn't flipped but I do believe with this camera you can change the view easily in the app.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyFFX4
Well, I actually just got it installed today. It works fine, no issues with connecting to the camera. The picture isn't very good but it's not a fault of it being WiFi, only the camera quality. The transmitter that sends the signal to the tablet or phone does have the ability to connect a different camera. My camera image wasn't flipped but I do believe with this camera you can change the view easily in the app.
What set up did u buy exactly? Do u have a link for it?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:39 PM

Turns out replacing the head unit isn't as expensive as I thought

Here's one for $250

And a Bluetooth one for $329

I may go this route instead, since it'll look alot cleaner.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:46 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

We have a camera kit that will suite your needs. We offer our OE fit camera bundled with many different monitor options but if you are replacing the head unit anyway then all you will need is the standard CS-FTR camera kit, which is the closest you will get to factory. You can see all our F series camera kits here:

https://camera-source.com/products/automotive/ford

Don't hesitate to call if you have questions we are always willing to assist!

Take care,
Camera-source.com
414-939-5226
The following users liked this post:
poolville02 (04-24-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 PM

Alright, I've seen you post in other threads.

Why would I buy this product of yours for $300?
What does that get me, functionality wise, over say

This camera for $100 that comes with 18 Infra-Red LEDs, Night-vision, and is IP68 rated?

Is your camera have Infra-Red LEDs? Night-Vision? Shock-proof? Or does it just have the Blue Oval.

I admit, the clean installation it offers is awfully appealing. However, I need to be able to use this camera at night.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytann
Alright, I've seen you post in other threads.

Why would I buy this product of yours for $300?
What does that get me, functionality wise, over say

This camera for $100 that comes with 18 Infra-Red LEDs, Night-vision, and is IP68 rated?

Is your camera have Infra-Red LEDs? Night-Vision? Shock-proof? Or does it just have the Blue Oval.

I admit, the clean installation it offers is awfully appealing. However, I need to be able to use this camera at night.
Ours also has night vision but no LED's. Essentially you are not comparing apples to apples because ours is a factory OEM style kit, not a universal camera. This system has the same night vision capability as the factory camera with an IR sensor that amplifies existing light (including that from your reverse lights). It will see great at night so no worries there. Compare our kit to what the factory puts in the truck and then the $289 price tag is way more attractive

All our cameras are shockproof, waterproof, and dustproof and we stand behind them with a 3 year warranty.

You have to decide if you want the generic look of a universal camera or if you want a factory style kit.

Thanks and let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Camera-source.com
414-939-5226
The following users liked this post:
agility (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Kytann,

check out this thread I made a while back, I bought it from Camera Source, the picture/build quality is good and I'm still running it since the install. Never had a problem with night time driving, unless you are planning to drive it without the lights on, I must say I never tried that though, lol

https://www.f150forum.com/f7/photo-h...nstall-238668/

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Backup Camera advice, maybe also a forward camera?