Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Rear Window Defrost to 2009 FX4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding Rear Window Defrost to 2009 FX4?

Hi, all

I just purchased a used 2009 FX4 Crew Cab in June. I sold my 2007 Avalanche Z71 and am more that happy with the FX4

I have been doing phase 1 with FX4 running boards, 20" gunmetal wheels and new tires and Raptor headlights and tail lights and Bakflip Fibermax bed cover. So far so good! I will be doing new plugs next week as this thing has 95,000 miles. I did notice one thing and would like to change this before Ohio winters make it here.

I have the power sliding rear window and heated mirrors but do not have defrost. I do have remote start so maybe I can start it and let it warm and defrosting the rear window won't be a big deal. If I have to change it though what are my options?

I assume the wiring is already back there and the window would just get swapped out for one with the defroster grid. The heated mirror button should operate the rear window I hope. I saw Fairway Ford on Ebay has the window for $393.

Can a glass replacement company do this? Secondly, I know some original defrost windows were cracking and exploding but I heard the replacement doesn't have that issue. Any suggestions are appreciated and nice to be in the Ford camp after being a GM lifer.

Steve
Old 08-07-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought a 2010 and right before the person I bought it from decided to sale it the rear window did explode. They had it replaced and the company left it unhooked for them. I didn't like that cause the mirrors wouldn't defrost if the rear wasn't hooked up. So I got back there and found the hookups and have used it several times with out any issues. I think the repair glass is made better. The company that installed it was safe lite. Hope that helps
Old 08-08-2015, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. I checked with my local Ford dealer and the Parts department will match any Internet price. I can get the back window for $360. But!!! always a but though. The service guy tells me it will be 8 hours, so around $800 for install. He told me they have to remove the headliner. I am not buying that. All the wiring is there and so is the power slider button on the over head console and the heated mirror button on the HVAC will control both the mirrors and the defroster. Ill check with Safe Lite or the local Mels Auto glass. I can't see this costing $1160!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:07 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Why when all they do is explode?
Old 08-09-2015, 01:38 PM

The new window has a new part number. I haven't heard of replacement windows exploding.

Quick Reply: Adding Rear Window Defrost to 2009 FX4?