Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding power seat memory module?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding power seat memory module?

Does anyone know what components are required to add the power seat memory module to an existing XLT power drivers seat? I have the power seat and pedals, so one would think it would be a simple plug and play upgrade.

My wife is considerably shorter than me, and I can hardly get in the truck after she has been in it.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 304 Likes on 178 Posts

subscribed....
Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be very interested in finding out if you can in fact upgrade the XLT's power seat to memmory as well. For the same exact reason too, lol, my wife sets the seat all funky when she drives my truck and it takes me an hour of driving to get it back to comfortable. Someone has to know the answer to this??
Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by jhammonds1969
Does anyone know what components are required to add the power seat memory module to an existing XLT power drivers seat? I have the power seat and pedals, so one would think it would be a simple plug and play upgrade.

My wife is considerably shorter than me, and I can hardly get in the truck after she has been in it.
My real "reason" to replying is to subscribe... but I also am curious to this question. My 10' XLT SCREW has Power Driver's Seat too, but it also has a manual adjustment for one of the back angle's... aren't the seats that are memory FULL power seats, with no manual adjustments?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I thought about doing it to my truck, but quickly decided it would be too much of a PITA to do the full conversion.

On the 04-08, here are the items that would need to be added to the seat:
Driver Seat Module - this has to connect to EVERYTHING, including the pedal adjustment and the module comm network (probably resulting in some dealer flashing required), all power seat motor/switch wiring is rerouted as well
Memory set switch
Driver memory seat front height sensor
Adjustable pedal memory potentiometer
Driver memory seat horizontal sensor
Driver memory seat rear height sensor

I would say the only feasible way to do this is to buy a memory equipped driver's seat and hope it is plug and play.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:19 AM

I am about to go through this with my new '09 Expedition. It's not plug-and-play. It used to be easier in years past, but with today's programmable modules talking to each other on the equivalent of an office computer network (CAN-Bus) things are much more complicated these days. I guess they don't want folks modifying their vehicles!

Basically, if you already have a power seat, you need to replace your seat motors with new motors that have memory position encoders. The only way to do that is to get motors from a seat that was equipped with memory. Then, you need a Driver's Seat Module (DSM) to control it along with a Memory Seat Switch. The module also controls the memory mirrors and adjustable pedals (if equipped) so all those items get wired through it.

The easiest way to do this is to get a seat from a truck just like yours that has the memory option. This will get you the motors you need. You'll need to swap the motors on your seat with the memory-enabled ones. Then, you can use an older style Memory Seat Module that does not communicate with the vehicle's computer network. This is assuming the module is compatible with and understands how to read the encoders on your motors (I have no idea about this level of compatibility).

As an example, a Lincoln Town Car has such a module from '95 to '97. This is a standalone setup that is easier to retrofit into a vehicle that does not have memory seats because it is an all-in-one system. You'll need the module and a complete seat harness or at least the wiring connectors so you can make your own harness. You'll also need the memory seat switch. All this will have to be custom fitted. No matter what, a lot of work is required. As I said, it is definitely not plug-and-play.

Newer DSM modules are not standalone as they require a connection to the vehicle module communication network. This is so your keyless entry can activate the memory functions. You will need a module that is from the same year vehicle as your existing truck and it will have to be spliced into the network in order for it to work.

For some very late model trucks, the DSM may need to be programmed by a dealer in order for it to properly communicate with your truck's network. This is what I will be experimenting with on my Expedition. I don't yet know if I can simply add a DSM from another vehicle to the network and get it to work without additional programming. I'll find out more when I attempt to hook up my new memory seat.

In the meantime, if anyone reading this knows about the 2009 Ford CAN-bus and how to send or receive commands over the network, please help! My new seats are climate controlled but the only way to turn them on is by sending commands over the vehicle network. There is no direct connection to the control switches. I don't yet know how to make it all work. . .

Thanks!

EDIT: Just re-read the previous post again, he is right about the components. The best bet is to find a compatible seat with memory function and swap the entire seat track with motors, sensors, module, and wire harness. You still have to deal with getting the module to work and communicate with the rest of the vehicle through the network. I don't know if a module not connected will function properly on its own.

Note that all memory-enabled components such as power mirrors and adjustable pedals have special sensors incorporated into the motors (i.e. encoders) to allow for the memory function. This requires feedback circuitry to the Driver's Seat Module and the component must get its power from the module as well. In other words, any option with memory recall must be wired through the DSM. This can get real complicated, real fast!

Last edited by star-art; 09-04-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 AM

anyone ever do this mod? same issue here, wife is barley over 5ft and it take what what feels forever to readjust the seat. cant even get in to adjust it, need to do it from outside the truck....

thnx
Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just tell your wife not to drive your truck. Problem solved!!

I know, I know, if only it were that easy.... Clearly I'm not married yet.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Trailblazing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife wont drive MY truck for the simple fact i dont like MY seat moved in MY truck, so she just drives her fusion
Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM

subscribed....any updates if this is possible in the newer models??

Quick Reply: Adding power seat memory module?