Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding factory trailer brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default adding factory trailer brake controller

I have a 2011 XLT 5.0 SuperCab - no tow package.

I would be interested in adding the trailer brake controller when I install an aftermarket hitch. Will the truck work fine without the tow package when I put the trailer brake controller in?

Also - I believe even though the manual says I can tow upwards of 8500lbs with my engine/axle ratio - that I am limited to just 5000lbs without the trailer tow package? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump. Similar situation here
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the brake controller... Easy way is if you already have a 7-pin connector at the rear of the truck, then get the appropriate harness to wire in the controller and plug into your existing electrical system. Hard way is if you don't have the 7-pin connector, the whole truck will need to be wired to take advantage of the brake controller.

The 5K tow capacity that Ford refers to with no tow package pertains to towing from the bumper. Since you are going to add a hitch, you should be able to tow closer to your limit, however, you are still missing a few major components to haul that much weight... no aux engine or tranny cooler. They can be added, but at more expense.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 118 Likes on 64 Posts

The question is, how much of the wiring harness in your truck is standardized, and how much is different based on your options? I've been led to believe that Ford uses the same wiring harness for most models, and just then adds the accessories as needed.

Check behind the dash, behind the cubby where the TBC is mounted to see if you have the connector for it taped there, and check under the spare tire to see if you have the connector where the 7-pin connector ties in. If so, then it is just a matter of buying these two accessories and mounting them. do a search, there are several good threads on how to do this.

If not, then as stated above, you will have some re-wiring to do.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 152 Likes on 86 Posts

It's no big deal to add a receiver hitch. The thing missing the most out of the tow package is the Aux. auto trans oil cooler and the radiator upgrade.
The 5K tow cap stated seems to be from using the bumper only.

I'm in the same boat. I wish I knew what the capacity would be with a
non tow package truck but a receiver hitch added aftermarket.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000xl_toronto
I have a 2011 XLT 5.0 SuperCab - no tow package.

I would be interested in adding the trailer brake controller when I install an aftermarket hitch. Will the truck work fine without the tow package when I put the trailer brake controller in?

Also - I believe even though the manual says I can tow upwards of 8500lbs with my engine/axle ratio - that I am limited to just 5000lbs without the trailer tow package? Can anyone confirm this?

I ran in to a similar problem when I needed to pull a 31 ft. gulf stream up the east coast in short notice - - the factory break controller was expensive & u have to bring to the dealer to get computer "flashed" to recognize u installed it. no time 4 that - I solved my problem by installing one i got at walmart for less than $50 using the existing wiring behind the trey (were factory one is mounted). I punched hole in back of tray & plugged it in using those wires you get (xtra wires in the spear compartment for after market break controllers included with truck). Now I can unplug & remove it & use the trey as normal. The controller worked great & can adjust tension on trailer breaks as needed.

good luck
Attached Thumbnails adding factory trailer brake controller-7.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:03 AM

Default Question for bestengines

Hi, So the connector is behind the tray for sure? Also did you have only the four pin trailer connector and the other two wires were up the pipeline on the harness or did you have to hardwire it yourself? Did you have to add the other relays in the power compartment at 9 and 21 under the hood? Just trying to get my steps in line before I bust into mine this weekend.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 AM

Yes the connector should be there behind the tray. I have an 09 that did not come factory with trailer brake controller or factory to package. I have put in a factory hitch and factory 7 pin connector and I got a factory trailer brake controller. I would stay away form the factory trailer brake controller I have not been able to get mine to work. I would suggest looking at etrailer.com. They have everything you will need.

Quick Reply: adding factory trailer brake controller