Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Access to 12v power port connector?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Access to 12v power port connector?

As shown in an image I posted last year, I'm powering my Garmin GPS unit off a USB adapter in the 12v power port with short USB cable between. If/when I want "traffic" feature, I'll use Garmin's bulkier cable which has the integrated traffic antenna. My objective now is to free up that power port for other devices or simply to tidy up appearance when not using the port.

OK then, I bought
this dual USB port this dual USB port
and temporarily attached it on lower RH side of dash panel adjacent to the glove box door with industrial grade velcro. I might hard mount it later with screws or pop rivets. I'd planned on tapping power off the passenger side fuse box with an add-a-circuit fuse tap, however doing that requires hacking up molded plastic on the fuse box and lid to allow the lid to snap on as intended. I've seen pics here where some did that but I don't want to go that route.

Instead as a minimally invasive alternative, I'd use Posi-Tap Connectors (link is economical source for small quantities) to connect as constant-on power from that port which is in an ideal location. Problem is, I'm not sure how the power cable connector releases from back of the port and I'd rather not disassemble to gain access. Anybody know for certain how its attached? Pictures perhaps? I can't feel a release catch while reaching up with glove box door dropped. Also noting my truck has the full console. TIA...

Old 08-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Access to 12v power port connector?

That port has a connector that is easily accessed by dropping the glovebox and reaching behind it. I don't have pics of the connector, but it is basically shaped like a 'T', and the top of the T has a tab you push down to unlock it. Mine was a little difficult to push the first time I disconnected it.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 PM

Thank you for the tip!

Just now pushed 'n prodded around that area again w/o success. Feels like the connector is plugged in prox 3/4" from end of port housing but don't want to damage by forcing it. I'll use a small mirror and light when time permits and attempt seeing that tab. If successful, I'll take a pic and post it here for future reference...
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 PM

When in doubt, search online FoMoCo parts diagrams! Looks like the port is Ford p/n 19N236.
Images show the "T" receptacle shape as well as what appears to be the tab retention release location!

Last edited by DirtDawg; 08-04-2015 at 11:52 PM. Reason: smaller image
Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 PM

Got 'r done...

With mirror, I could see that the release mechanism is on glove box side vs top (ease of service?), so only a few minutes to view where I was reaching and press the tab (actually, pressed the "a-arm").

Wiring my new dual USB hub is completed, so figured I'd share these pics for anyone contemplating a similar mod with no need to remove any dash panels nor alter your fuse box! As stated before, I used Posi-Taps which leave only tiny pin-***** holes in wiring insulation vs what scotchlok (or cheap knockoffs) blades typically do to wiring.

Assembly view up from glove box opening - shown with Posi-Tap connectors for USB hub attached to pos/neg leads

Cable harness with "T"-connector & "a-arm" release tab

Power port connector with Posi-Taps attached for dual USB hub

Dual USB hub temporarily attached to lower panel with industrial strength velco

Dual USB hub in use (one port only)

Last edited by DirtDawg; 08-06-2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added pictures after project completion
The following users liked this post:
ja8799 (09-10-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

I just use an AUKEY 4 port USB charger. It can do 2.4A per port. Put it where the lighter goes (lower left of my center console).
Old 08-05-2015, 12:37 AM

That might have worked for me too but no cig lighter on my truck plus location not optimal for where I have my Garmin mounted as shown in 1st post. Center console has dual USB slots (plus SD card slot and audio/visual cable jacks) but that's not aligned with my objective of powering gps as previously stated...
Old 08-05-2015, 01:10 AM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

OK Mine has the column shift. Yours must be the console. You may be able to move a fuse and make the outlet switched instead of always on.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:29 PM
2014 STX SCREW

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

I tapped the same power wire, added a 2nd lighter adapter under the center console (I don't have flow through console). I then routed the wires to the driver side and mounted my GPS on the left side of the dash. I wanted a different result but tapped the same port.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM

With my little project completed, I replaced one picture and added a few more to post#5.
Hope this thread will be useful to someone else...

Updated to comment that the dual USB hub I installed, contrary to seller's description, was incapable of powering my Garmin Nuvi 3597. Gotta love Amazon Prime, 'cus removed that and got no-hassle prepaid return label for full refund. I had a Powerlet dual cig plug socket on hand, so that now resides where the USB hub was shown plus ordered a Scosche "smart" dual USB adapter ($12.50 Amazon Prime) which can power and quick-charge anything requiring 1A to 2.4A without requiring specific amperage ports. Hey, its even low profile to fit within Ford OEM power port cover!

No more pictures, unless specifically requested. My objective with this thread has been accomplished, i.e., easily and conveniently tapped into the unswitched power port wiring without removing panels or altering the fusebox...

Last edited by DirtDawg; 08-07-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: update on dual USB hub

Quick Reply: Access to 12v power port connector?