Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abt rear diff gear ratio

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default abt rear diff gear ratio

which one is better for city driving, 3.55 or 3.73?

3.73 is electronic lock, 3.55 is ltd, slip. what are the difference.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned both. The wide ratios in the 6 speed make it less of an issue to get the 3.73 and the zippy acceleration puts a smile on my face every time. Pulls nicely, even with the base engine.

The 3.55 will get better fuel economy, but the difference is going to be pretty marginal.

The limited slip uses clutch plates to allow limited slippage. The e-locker literally locks the thing together to stop slippage. So it comes to a question of how much slippage you want in your rear end.

The E Lock will be an open differential when not locked. One wheel can spin while the other sits stationary, which is smooth and can offer advantages in maintaining vehicle control in wet weather. When locked the traction will be superior and can be so good that it pushes the front end straight ahead on really slick surfaces. It is cool technology, but really only useful in extreme conditions.

The Limited Slip is a compromise and something I specified on my order. Just as the name suggests it has clutches which allow some slippage, but which try to maintain the same torque to both rear wheels. I live in a part of the country where we rarely have snow and when we do it is usually icy patches where you can find a dry rut. Last winter I had to get creative and use my emergency brake to simulate a limited slip's torque spilt to get unstuck. Would not have been a problem in the new truck.

Some drivers do not like the snap over steer that can happen with limited slip differentials. Since both wheels try to do the same thing, they slide simultaneously too (watch an episode of Top Gear since half the show seems to be devoted to drifting). I don't mind it.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:46 PM
2011 SCREW 6.5' EB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something esle to note-when using a locking rear, as said above both rear tires are locked together, so when going around a corner (i assume if similar to a spool?) the inside will travel at the same distance the outside will, but on a curve the inside will travel less surface distance so mostly the inside will skip along if not on a loose surface and possibly break things. Other posters have mentioned that the locker only locks when in 4X mode though.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dbok is correct that the locked diff won't allow the two wheels to spin at different speeds, so the inside will skip along and put stress on the diff - but that's only on high-traction surfaces (i.e. dry asphault).

The locker can only be turned on in 4WD and is only intended to be used when the surface you're driving on lacks traction enough to allow the wheels to slip a bit and keep from breaking anything (i.e. snow, ice, mud etc.)

FI50's explanation is spot-on and thorough, but I would add that, even though the ELD is "open" when not locked, the TSC system does a damn good LSD impersonation when you hit something slippery in 2wd.

Without the TSC, I would say the LSD is the clear choice for most of us. But since the TSC is so effective, I think the ELD gives you the best of both worlds.

$0.02

Quick Reply: abt rear diff gear ratio