Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6R80 upgrades?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 6R80 upgrades?

I searched a little but came up with nothing. Does anyone have any info or knowledge about the 6R80 Punisher Valve bodies? Will they work with the 2009-2010 F150's? Closest thing I have found is someone using it in a SportTrac. I'm just curious if this would fix the crappy shifting. I have a programer with MPT tune (yeah yeah.. I know.. everyone says 5 Star is better), regardless the shifting still sucks.

Sometimes when I'm under hard acceleration, it feels like the transmission is quick shifting, but its not shifting at all.. Hard to explain, its usually in the middle of the rpm range, and bumps like it shifted, but its still in the same gear. Kind of feels like the DSG transmission shifts from a Volkswagen. It even does it when I have the shifter in 2ng gear or third gear, so I know its not actually shifting. Maybe its an engine stumble or something.

Any Ideas or info?

Thanks.
Dep
Old 01-31-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The setup of the 6r80 is revolutionary. Instead of the engine controlling the transmission. The tranny is essentially controlling the engine. The tranny only allows the engine to operate in the parameters that it knows therefore it wont do super quick shifts or anything like that. If you want the quick shifts you will have to get a custom tranny DYNO tune that a good mustang tuner would know how to do. Down here in north texas is a place called hpp racing and ive ridden in a truck equipped with their tranny and engine tune and the shifts were very quick. Even quicker then a super firm 5 star tune i have for the track.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Soo... What your saying is that replacing the valve body like they do in the Mustangs wont make any difference? It would have to be tuned on a dyno by a tuning company.. Well.. it was a long shot, but thought I would ask. Thanks for the info. You'd think that Ford would have a program fix for this... aside from buying the 2011+ trucks
Old 02-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

When I bought my truck a year ago (70k miles) it shifted like crap. Super hard 1-2 shifts and really hard clunk on 6-4 upshifts on steep hills. The shift points were terrible too. I had the pan dropped and filter changed, then swapped all the fluid out through the cooler line. That got rid of the 6-4 upshift issue and smoothed things out. Still got the occasional 1-2 hard shift. Added a 87 perf/tow tune from 5 star and it is smooth as butter in every way now. 2009 truck with 80k miles now.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Question truly bulletproof transmissions?

Originally Posted by tcp2
When I bought my truck a year ago (70k miles) it shifted like crap. Super hard 1-2 shifts and really hard clunk on 6-4 upshifts on steep hills. The shift points were terrible too. I had the pan dropped and filter changed, then swapped all the fluid out through the cooler line. That got rid of the 6-4 upshift issue and smoothed things out. Still got the occasional 1-2 hard shift. Added a 87 perf/tow tune from 5 star and it is smooth as butter in every way now. 2009 truck with 80k miles now.
Well, here it is 3 years after this thread's last post, and i have an issue. apparently these transmissions really ARE bulletproof, as i cannot seem to find any threads newer than 2014. Except for mine....

So here's my dilemma: I built my 2013 3.5L ecobomb into a pre runner, and we added Aux engine-oil and trans-fluid coolers in the bed cage; we also added a dual canister inline trans filter, using WIX filters. and it throws p0770 big wrench code and gets stuck in 3rd gear.

The transmission is freshly rebuilt (by some old school race trans guy in baja who the McNeils use, rather than a certified shop in ca ) and its throwing the p0770 code. it seems to run OK once it gets warm, sometimes; which of course takes forever now to heat up- lol.

QUESTION: has anyone installed an aftermarket cooler into an ecoboost 6R80 and had the p0770 code problem? if so, are there any tips or tricks to making an AUX cooler work? we found that the inline filters restricted flow too much, and had to bypass them, but we are still experiencing intermittent good/bad test drives. and it usually throws a wrench when you use the up/down shifter side switch for manual shifting. especially when cold.

any thoughts? anyone? Bueller....Bueller? Bueller?

Last edited by EcoRaptor13; 02-19-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: incorrect noun- cooler - filter
Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

From what I can find, the P0770 code is related to the shift solenoid for the converter lock up clutch. Here is one fix: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/p...-recall-49350/

Did you keep the thermostat when you did the cooler install? I think you should.
The following users liked this post:
EcoRaptor13 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
From what I can find, the P0770 code is related to the shift solenoid for the converter lock up clutch. Here is one fix: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/p...-recall-49350/

Did you keep the thermostat when you did the cooler install? I think you should.
we did keep the thermostat. didn't do the 175* swap. and i had a typo in that last post. and a big one at that-- we had to bypass the FILTERS and kept the rear cooler in the loop. it takes forever to warm up, and the last test drive was after topping off fluid, warming it up to 150* and then venturing out. it immediately threw a wrench code, so i parked it. when I looked down at the gauge the wrench was gone, so without turning it off i went for another lap. it ran fine, but it wants to get to 6th really quick with this MPT tune. before we did the turbos i had a 5-star tune, and it held gears much better.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

If the thermostat is working as it should, there should be (virtually) no flow thru the plumbing outside the transmission until it warms up. Can you feel the lines near the transmission? Do they get warm immediately?

That code is for the torque converter clutch. Has it been modified? Aftermarket Torque converter?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:03 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoRaptor13
Well, here it is 3 years after this thread's last post, and i have an issue. apparently these transmissions really ARE bulletproof, as i cannot seem to find any threads newer than 2014. Except for mine....

So here's my dilemma: I built my 2013 3.5L ecobomb into a pre runner, and we added Aux engine-oil and trans-fluid coolers in the bed cage; we also added a dual canister inline trans filter, using WIX filters. and it throws p0770 big wrench code and gets stuck in 3rd gear.

The transmission is freshly rebuilt (by some old school race trans guy in baja who the McNeils use, rather than a certified shop in ca ) and its throwing the p0770 code. it seems to run OK once it gets warm, sometimes; which of course takes forever now to heat up- lol.

QUESTION: has anyone installed an aftermarket cooler into an ecoboost 6R80 and had the p0770 code problem? if so, are there any tips or tricks to making an AUX cooler work? we found that the inline filters restricted flow too much, and had to bypass them, but we are still experiencing intermittent good/bad test drives. and it usually throws a wrench when you use the up/down shifter side switch for manual shifting. especially when cold.

any thoughts? anyone? Bueller....Bueller? Bueller?
Originally Posted by EcoRaptor13
we did keep the thermostat. didn't do the 175* swap. and i had a typo in that last post. and a big one at that-- we had to bypass the FILTERS and kept the rear cooler in the loop. it takes forever to warm up, and the last test drive was after topping off fluid, warming it up to 150* and then venturing out. it immediately threw a wrench code, so i parked it. when I looked down at the gauge the wrench was gone, so without turning it off i went for another lap. it ran fine, but it wants to get to 6th really quick with this MPT tune. before we did the turbos i had a 5-star tune, and it held gears much better.
was the trans rebuilt at the same time that the cooler was added? when they rebuilt it, what exactly did they change? I personally don't really think the cooler is the issue so much as perhaps something misplaced or damaged inside the transmission. unless maybe the inline filters were changing line pressure to the point that the torque converter didn't want to lock up. that's the only scenario I could really think of in regards to the code and the modifications performed, but it's a stretch.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

I have a remote filter on mine in the cooler line. The transmission thermostat is inside the transmission itself (in a stock transmission anyway) and won't flow through the cooler until the fluid hits 170 or so. I have had my hand on the filter and felt the hot fluid start flowing. You get an instant change in fluid temps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6R80 upgrades?