Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.2L Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.2L Tunes

I've been poking around trying to decide on what tunes to get for my '13 6.2L, but have not been able to find much information on tuning a 6.2.

As for a tuner, I plan to purchase the SCT X4 I'm just looking for recommendations on where/what tunes to get. I've been trying to pay attention to what grade fuels are carried around my area and it seems as though most places have 87, 89 and 93 octanes.

Can anyone shed some light on what tunes seem to be the best for the 6.2L motor?
Old 04-21-2015, 10:48 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandbox1
I've been poking around trying to decide on what tunes to get for my '13 6.2L, but have not been able to find much information on tuning a 6.2.

As for a tuner, I plan to purchase the SCT X4 I'm just looking for recommendations on where/what tunes to get. I've been trying to pay attention to what grade fuels are carried around my area and it seems as though most places have 87, 89 and 93 octanes.

Can anyone shed some light on what tunes seem to be the best for the 6.2L motor?
Yep - https://www.f150forum.com/f37/add-50...2-f150-297834/
Old 04-21-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For what it`s worth I talked to one of the guys from ford that designed that motor and he strongly recommended leaving it alone.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

^^
Although my bias is generally to leave things mostly OEM stock, curious (other than quoting FoMoCo warranty/emissions policies) what basis for that guidance or warnings for those that don't heed that advice?

BTW, added my comments to the linked MPT 6.2L tuner thread...
Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the reply I got when I asked about tuners

Hi - on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine, there are 2 ways to increase power over the OEM rated levels, without changing compression ratio, and cams;
1. Reduce Induction and exhaust losses (you may see minor gains of 2% here). Certainly would not recommend catalyst removal. if you change the induction, it may impact the calibration of the Mass Airflow Meter.
2. Revised calibration - again - not much to gain, other than an expensive engine rebuild due to Piston damage. The OEM calibration runs knock sensors so the spark timing is automatically adjusted to run to optimally depending on the fuel octane.

My advice would be to leave it stock, and enjoy it.

Mike.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jabberwoki
This is the reply I got when I asked about tuners

Hi - on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine, there are 2 ways to increase power over the OEM rated levels, without changing compression ratio, and cams;
1. Reduce Induction and exhaust losses (you may see minor gains of 2% here). Certainly would not recommend catalyst removal. if you change the induction, it may impact the calibration of the Mass Airflow Meter.
2. Revised calibration - again - not much to gain, other than an expensive engine rebuild due to Piston damage. The OEM calibration runs knock sensors so the spark timing is automatically adjusted to run to optimally depending on the fuel octane.

My advice would be to leave it stock, and enjoy it.

Mike.
Yeah, those are about the responses I would expect; but they're also completely misguided/wrong.

1. Full exhausts w/ long tubes have been proven to show gains of around 40hp at the tire on the 6.2L - that's about a 15% gain over stock - not quite sure where he's pulling that "2%" figure from.

2. All of the big name aftermarket tuners leave the knock sensors functional - some even increase their sensitivity. Automatically adjusting spark to run optimally is only based around the parameters of the stock tune, which has to meet strict emissions standards, including keeping the stock cats perfect for over 100k miles. An aftermarket tune has no such limitations, and the idea of an aftermarket tune providing little to no gains and only leading to a blown engine is really laughable.

Bottom line, Ford left a lot of room for more power on the 6.2L. Someone with a vested interest in you continuing to purchase new vehicles to get more power, instead of modifying your own, shouldn't be who all your advice comes from.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice on what octane tunes to get and what level of performance? I basically use my truck around town generally on the weekends since I have a different truck for work purposes. However, I do 600mi round trips about once a month occasionally towing a 7x12 enclosed trailer with 1-2 Harleys.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandbox1
Any advice on what octane tunes to get and what level of performance? I basically use my truck around town generally on the weekends since I have a different truck for work purposes. However, I do 600mi round trips about once a month occasionally towing a 7x12 enclosed trailer with 1-2 Harleys.
I exclusively run 93 octane personally, but it's up to you. A 93oct tune will make a little more power than a 91, 89, 87, etc.

Regardless of what you choose for a performance tune, you're going to want to run either the stock tune or a tow-specific tune when towing. Most performance tunes are only going to be safe with the truck unladen.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Bjl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a tuner from 5star custom tunes and you get 3 custom tunes with it. Get the 87, 89, ,and 93 octane performance/tow tunes, try them all around town and towing the bikes and run the one that works best for you. JMO. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

I have an '11 Lariat that I ordered with the 6.2 and 3.73LS gears. Go to my Albums for some details on her. Description is in the album "Scarlet". It was a beast as is. But I wanted more. So I put on her a set of Stainless Works long tube Headers, High flow cats with X-pipe, and duals with the chambered mufflers. That made her.....................Bad! Then I researched tuners and who/where/what as you are. I went with 5Star and the SCT Livewire TS. I started with a 89 perf., a 91 perf., and a 91 Tow. Tried the 89, was OK. Then went on to the 91. Very Nice! I didn't think that a 93 perf would be much more than the 91, but I ordered it. Boy was I wrong......WOW! So, Then I heard a lot of good stuff about MPT. So I ordered tunes from them. A 91 Tow and a 93 perf. WOW again.............., Go for it dude.......

Last edited by Scarlet; 04-24-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 6.2L Tunes