Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 star tunes. Tx inspection

Old 04-28-2016, 04:06 PM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 5 star tunes. Tx inspection

I have read on here that the tune will pass the inspection and read it will not. This is not bashing 5 star. Well today I had to get inspection and my truck failed because the 02 weren't ready as well as the catalytic converter. Had a total of 3 in not ready. I had my tune on the truck for almost 18 months without changing it. So I should have plenty of miles on it. So I put the truck back to stock. So I can pass my inspection in next couple days. Side note. Damn my truck is slow with stock tune.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts

Was never sure if tunes would pass inspections or not. They are pretty strict over here in California. But I have always switched to stock when having warranty work done or when doing an emissions test.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually switch back to stock tune a week or 2 before inspection and everything passes.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:46 PM
I wanna go Fast!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm in Texas. I have to revert to stock every year to pass emissions. I think you can have 1 section not pass to still officially pass overall. I always have 3 sections fail when tuned with 5 star.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:31 PM

I have a mustang that is tuned as well and can pass inspection. I just wanted to clear this confusion for my own sake. Plus on this coming week. Truck going to dealership to get brakes worked on under warranty.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Passed emissions here in Austin twice with MPT tunes in previous years. This year I have Unleashed and have to get inspection next month. We'll see how it does.

Also, the Torque app on Android with a bluetooth OBD2 scanner will tell you any codes and how many of the Ready/Not Ready lights have been activated. That way you can at least know before you go up there if you will pass on those points. I use it on all my vehicles every time I take them for inspection just to be sure there aren't any surprises.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
Passed emissions here in Austin twice with MPT tunes in previous years. This year I have Unleashed and have to get inspection next month. We'll see how it does.

Also, the Torque app on Android with a bluetooth OBD2 scanner will tell you any codes and how many of the Ready/Not Ready lights have been activated. That way you can at least know before you go up there if you will pass on those points. I use it on all my vehicles every time I take them for inspection just to be sure there aren't any surprises.
You're the dirt dawg whom I read on here whom passed inspection with a tune lol. I thought you had 5*. Yeah I have torque pro and I could of used my sct as well. But was lazy. Plus my work allowed me today to go get dome unexpectedly. I don't drive my truck that often because I have work car. Plus the wife has more butt time in the seat than I do.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I live in a rural area south of Houston. I returned mine to stock and drove it a couple of weeks. I needed more highway driving than anything. I took a trip to Dallas just before my inspection and it was good to go. Most of my driving had been mixed and it took some "long stretches" to get them all set. I used my Torque Pro app and Actron scanner to check the Readiness Monitors. I also have the Auto Enginuity software on my laptops.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have not tried to go through inspection with my MPT tunes on, but... I have always just restored to stock, unhooked the battery, hit the brakes a couple of times, and hooked the battery back up. It can vary from one vehicle to the next, but it takes mine a couple hundred miles for the sensors to wake up. No problems passing Austin, TX inspections.

You have to ask yourself what takes more time and is a bigger pain in the butt... swapping your tunes before/after or getting re-inspected when it fails???
Old 04-28-2016, 11:31 PM
Teacher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Passed twice out here with MPT tunes, never even thought about the possibility of failing because of a tune until I saw your thread...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 star tunes. Tx inspection