Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 star tune throttle delay problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5 star tune throttle delay problem

Hi guys,

After being on the fence for about a year and reading all of the good reviews of Mike's tunes from 5 star for these 5.4 trucks, I finally got on board last week. Got the sct X4 with 87,89, and 93 octane performance/tow tunes. First time I tried to put the 89 octance on, it got all the way to the last step then failed. So I tried again, and thankfully it worked. Here's what I have to say about it so far..

I can tell that it keeps you in lower gear longer, which is good.
I can feel a little more power especially down low, also good.
I can feel that the shifts are a little firmer, also good.

Here's my problem with it though. The throttle response from when the truck is in crusing gear just going around 40-50 around town to when I put the hammer down is INCREDIBLY slow. I can be cruising, put the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and it still takes a good 1 to 1 and a half seconds before the truck is in one of the lower gears and giving me the power. I read multiple reviews from people stating that this tune really solved the throttle response problem, made the drive by wire system much better, the trans tuning alone was worth the money for the tune etc etc, so the main reason I bought these tunes was to solve this throttle response problem because it drives me insane. As it is right now, I would say that it is no better than the stock truck was in this situation what so ever. After reading all of the positive reviews of how the tune fixes this, I hate to be negative about it but you'll have to color me thoroughly disappointed in it for now. I emailed mike with this concern, and he told me to give it 250 miles and 8-10 driving cycles for the adaptive learning to start to work. My only concern is I just cant see it getting to where I want it to from where it is now by just driving it around more. Just because of all of the good reviews on this issue, I'm starting to think something on my tune has to be messed up or didn't get put in correctly, because there is just no way this throttle response got the positive reviews out of people that I was reading.

Here's a little side info that may be useful or may not be, I'm not sure. When I was loading the tune, it came to a page that had settings on it like spark advancement, speed limiter, rev limiter etc. I noticed that all of the spark advancement spots said "0" and the speed limiter was still set at 95. I dont know if this page is asking you if you want to add more spark on top of what the tune file already has in it or what, I'm unfamiliar with it.

Any insight/help/info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a 2010 with the 5.4L and 5star SCT tuner as well. AFE intake. 93 oct tune. Same complaint. Often if I go 80-100% throttle, it doesn't downshift into a lower gear, just tries to pull from 2k rpms (a an example).

The tuner made things better, but this truck is constantly in too high of a gear. I realize it's for fuel economy, but it seems like it's always at 1100-1400 rpms. (no power down there).
Old 06-29-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
I've got a 2010 with the 5.4L and 5star SCT tuner as well. AFE intake. 93 oct tune. Same complaint. Often if I go 80-100% throttle, it doesn't downshift into a lower gear, just tries to pull from 2k rpms (a an example).

The tuner made things better, but this truck is constantly in too high of a gear. I realize it's for fuel economy, but it seems like it's always at 1100-1400 rpms. (no power down there).
Same year model truck for me, and same exact problem. The way people talked about these tunes on here and other forums I guess I was just really expecting something a lot different as far as the throttle response. I like the other things the tune did, but am pretty disappointed in this part of it unfortunately.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:49 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Howdy.

First, befer I fergit - leave ALL of the end-user adjustments alone. It's a CUSTOM tune - hence already optimized - you will NOT be making anything better - likely it'll be worse.

Second - frankly, no one here wrote that tuning so it's rather futile to expect a solution yo can perform yerself, so you should be contacting 5Star ASAP, even providing datalogs if they request it. Let the FREE iterative email-order "tune/test/retune 'till-yer-happy" process work.

Good luck
MGD

Originally Posted by t.i.p.
Hi guys,

After being on the fence for about a year and reading all of the good reviews of Mike's tunes from 5 star for these 5.4 trucks, I finally got on board last week. Got the sct X4 with 87,89, and 93 octane performance/tow tunes. First time I tried to put the 89 octance on, it got all the way to the last step then failed. So I tried again, and thankfully it worked. Here's what I have to say about it so far..

I can tell that it keeps you in lower gear longer, which is good.
I can feel a little more power especially down low, also good.
I can feel that the shifts are a little firmer, also good.

Here's my problem with it though. The throttle response from when the truck is in crusing gear just going around 40-50 around town to when I put the hammer down is INCREDIBLY slow. I can be cruising, put the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and it still takes a good 1 to 1 and a half seconds before the truck is in one of the lower gears and giving me the power. I read multiple reviews from people stating that this tune really solved the throttle response problem, made the drive by wire system much better, the trans tuning alone was worth the money for the tune etc etc, so the main reason I bought these tunes was to solve this throttle response problem because it drives me insane. As it is right now, I would say that it is no better than the stock truck was in this situation what so ever. After reading all of the positive reviews of how the tune fixes this, I hate to be negative about it but you'll have to color me thoroughly disappointed in it for now. I emailed mike with this concern, and he told me to give it 250 miles and 8-10 driving cycles for the adaptive learning to start to work. My only concern is I just cant see it getting to where I want it to from where it is now by just driving it around more. Just because of all of the good reviews on this issue, I'm starting to think something on my tune has to be messed up or didn't get put in correctly, because there is just no way this throttle response got the positive reviews out of people that I was reading.

Here's a little side info that may be useful or may not be, I'm not sure. When I was loading the tune, it came to a page that had settings on it like spark advancement, speed limiter, rev limiter etc. I noticed that all of the spark advancement spots said "0" and the speed limiter was still set at 95. I dont know if this page is asking you if you want to add more spark on top of what the tune file already has in it or what, I'm unfamiliar with it.

Any insight/help/info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:31 AM
OG

Received 243 Likes on 194 Posts

Yeah, I had the same problem with my 93 perf/tow tune. It used to be a LOT worse, but then I took it into the dealer to have them flash a TCM/PCM update TSB that fixes hard downshifts and, since then, I rarely have that problem.

I have an MPT tune as well and never had it with them, but I didn't have MPT on for too long and it happens so rarely now after the TSB update that it may just have been timing.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by cmbezln
Yeah, I had the same problem with my 93 perf/tow tune. It used to be a LOT worse, but then I took it into the dealer to have them flash a TCM/PCM update TSB that fixes hard downshifts and, since then, I rarely have that problem.

I have an MPT tune as well and never had it with them, but I didn't have MPT on for too long and it happens so rarely now after the TSB update that it may just have been timing.
Mine doesnt seem like something that occurs every now and then. It is every single time I push the pedal down while its cruising in high gear.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

As MGD said your best bet is to work with 5 Star. Put the miles/drive cycles he suggested first then get a hold of them.

Also, I'm not sure if you all are getting this on just the perf/tow tunes but the performance tunes lock up the torque converter a lot sooner then the perf/tow tunes which in return makes for better throttle response.

Last edited by Sirikenewtron; 06-29-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-29-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

A little off topic, but I have a quick question for those of you with 5* custom tunes. If you ask them to turn off traction control on your calibration request form, does this display the startup warning message for the ABS and Trac Control off, and does it leave a bunch of warning lights on on your dash board? I would like to disable the Traction Control but would rather not have my dash look like a Christmas Tree. Thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by lukemahonyfx4
1)does this display the startup warning message for the ABS and Trac Control off

, 2)and does it leave a bunch of warning lights on on your dash board? I would like to disable the Traction Control but would rather not have my dash look like a Christmas Tree.
1) No, you actually have to disable it after every start up

2) No lights other then the TC/AT after you disable it

Last edited by Sirikenewtron; 06-29-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I load a new tune, I always do a KAM reset at the same time. During the first full tank of gas, I drive it really hard so that it learns what I want. However, your normal driving during an oil change interval gets picked up, so I always do a KAM reset at each oil change.

Quick Reply: 5 star tune throttle delay problem