Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 valve ping

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Buckrub

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 5.0 valve ping

So I got an 11 with the 5.0 in it. I notice after standing still acceleration and under some stress the valves are pinging. I was running regular fuel for a while but bumped it up to premium. Not sure about the octane ratings. After i switched to the mid grade stuff it has changed and helped but not fixed it. will going to super help this. I guess the real technical term is I have some detonation going on. Will fuel change help this or an additive to my fuel help this? I have just clicked 40 k m fresh air filter and I have not checked the plugs. Your ideas would be great. Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not sure what valve ping is, but I do know pinging sounds usually involve predetonation. Changing fuel to a higher octane should help but my 5.0 has never pinged or needed it. Ford recommends 87 octane so you should be able to run that fuel. I would check the plugs because I read on here there are many mis gapped plugs from the factory. Also, there is some inconsistency to what the actual specs are. Maybe someone will chime in. Anyways that's where I'd start.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My truck just started pinging the other day but only under moderate acceleration when engine speed is between 2000-2500 rpm. I'm thinking it's because I just started filling up at a different fuel retailer (pioneer) . I have 62,000km
Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I have been asking the same thing. I called the dealer and they said it was probably the gas. One thing I noticed is that most people that have complained are those with the 2011-12's. My truck is a early 12 model 5.0 I call it valve chatter/pinging. I am currently using shell gas. My truck has done it on 87 shell a few times and other off brand 87 gas and non ethanol real gas. I am currently running shell ethanol 93 and no pinging/chatter. I also used a SCT canned 93 tune and absolutely no pinging, but when I try a 93 custom tune I get some, especially around 1100-1800 rpms under light acceleration usually upgrades. I am currently running a 87 custom tune with 93 shell and no noise. So I think this is some kind of ford issue on these early models. There are others too that have tried a custom 93 tune and still get it.

Last edited by Koolponycar; 09-16-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by sodacraft
I'm not sure what valve ping is, but I do know pinging sounds usually involve predetonation. Changing fuel to a higher octane should help but my 5.0 has never pinged or needed it. Ford recommends 87 octane so you should be able to run that fuel. I would check the plugs because I read on here there are many mis gapped plugs from the factory. Also, there is some inconsistency to what the actual specs are. Maybe someone will chime in. Anyways that's where I'd start.
I think the 2011's have a tighter gap and in 2012 they recommend a more gap. I am thinking about pulling and checking mine too. Maybe gap them down some.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 175 Likes on 112 Posts

Valve chatter and pinging are two very different things.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

To the OP. Definitely pull the plugs and check
The gap. My friend at ford told me
Many 5.0s were gapped to Eco boost specs.
He has had great success going down one
Spark plug range to the cooler side as
Well. I think that should set things straight
For you as well. He also told me places with
Higher humidity have owners complained
Of this more. Not sure where you live
But I'm in CA and it's hardly humid but can
Get hot.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Buckrub

Get hot.
It's pretty humid here in jersey. Gross to be honest at times. This weekend I'll check my plugs. I have to change my oil and install some wheels. Maybe I'll get some premium fuel just to try it out. After a couple hundred miles I'll repost to let you guys knows what's up. Thanks guys.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sweatmachine
Valve chatter and pinging are two very different things.
Get hot.
Most people have been using both terms. But it definitely sounds like what happens when your timing is slightly off. Very distinctive. I am going to check my plugs too as a month ago it was so hot and humid here, it was miserable. I have heard this noise on my stock tune as well as my custom tunes. I will try this and report back after I run it awhile. Op if you try it let us know too how it goes. I think you have to be careful and unclip the top before pulling the COP's. I know there is a thread somewhere on here.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Buckrub

So I checked my plugs and I realized that they are iridium. I was wondering if I can gap these and what the spec is? Usually it's on the sticker under hood, but it's not on it.

Quick Reply: 5.0 valve ping