Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
IronJoce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo777 View Post
I am not trying to discourage him from an ecoboost but rather helping him make an informed decision. The ecoboost has some bugs that still need to be worked out. here are some links to show that i'm not the only one who has had to deal with it.

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboos...low-up-113551/

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ine-light.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ure-story.html

above is what i experienced, the same dreaded P3060 code, misfire on cylinder 6. Ford is supposably working on it and its hit or miss on whether which trucks will experience it or not. I had my truck one year and when i traded it in i had 45k miles on it, It's my rolling office, i cant afford to have it in the shop which is why i went with the 5.0. the second time instead of another ecoboost. The ecoboost is a good motor but still needs some work from ford to get the kinks worked out. As i stated, he has a tough decison to make. I miss the whine of the turbos, gobs of torque but the growl of the V8 puts a grin on my face every time I hear it.
LOL

And of course no 5.0 never had any problems. With the quantity of EB leaving dealerships every week, if it would be a real problematic engine we would hear about it a lot more that few people complaining on forums.

Nice try
IronJoce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA STATE
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoce View Post
LOL

And of course no 5.0 never had any problems. With the quantity of EB leaving dealerships every week, if it would be a real problematic engine we would hear about it a lot more that few people complaining on forums.

Nice try

Thats kind of the point. Its not all ecoboosts, its hit or miss. The 5.0 may have some problems as its a new motor also, but the wifes 2011 5.0 mustang is running strong, no issues and its freaking insane. Would I of liked to of kept my ecoboost, sure. But when you read that other peoople including an earlier post has had the same issues with the new motor there is a trend. what cracks me up, is that you get offended, lol.
Elmo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
IronJoce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo777

Thats kind of the point. Its not all ecoboosts, its hit or miss. The 5.0 may have some problems as its a new motor also, but the wifes 2011 5.0 mustang is running strong, no issues and its freaking insane. Would I of liked to of kept my ecoboost, sure. But when you read that other peoople including an earlier post has had the same issues with the new motor there is a trend. what cracks me up, is that you get offended, lol.
I'm really not offended as I'm a grown up who doesn't get offended anymore with things like this. I just find it funny as well that you just joined to bash an engine and would have answer the same thing if I would be driving a 5.0. ALL engine of ALL brand have some sort of problems... Yep, I guess you didn't know that right?

In fact I wanted to buy a 5.0 but ford decided not to offer Maxtow with 7700 GVWR with the 5.0

Cheers
IronJoce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA STATE
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoce View Post
I'm really not offended as I'm a grown up who doesn't get offended anymore with things like this. I just find it funny as well that you just joined to bash an engine and would have answer the same thing if I would be driving a 5.0. ALL engine of ALL brand have some sort of problems... Yep, I guess you didn't know that right?

In fact I wanted to buy a 5.0 but ford decided not to offer Maxtow with 7700 GVWR with the 5.0

Cheers

I'm not sure how you get bashing out of the post. The man asked a aquestion, ecoboost or 5.0. i shared my problems with an ecoboost, if you read the entire post, even the earlier one, i state several times its a good motor, but there are some issues. when you read other prople are experiencing the same exact problem, there is a trend and ford needs to fix it. I have a ford, the wife has a ford, we are ford people, I believe in the product but if someone askd for an honest opinion they will get it. So let me be clear, the ecoboost is a good motor, good MPG, tons of torque, quiet, addictive turbo whine. the 5.0 is a good motor, decent MPG for a V8, good HP and torque, smooth truck, love the V8 rumble. Now he has to choose, the fact that he is choosing a Ford rocks.
Elmo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 38
Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoce View Post
LOL

And of course no 5.0 never had any problems. With the quantity of EB leaving dealerships every week, if it would be a real problematic engine we would hear about it a lot more that few people complaining on forums.

Nice try
I think its very well known there is an issue with the intercooler or something causing the misfire/bogging issue. Of course there are going to be issues here and there with a new engine whether it be 5.0L, eco, or 6.2L. But its also very evident that there is some sort of issue in their design of the Ecoboost, hence why you've already seen some TSB's come out about the Ecoboost programming/cat converter, and why there are more fixes coming supposedly.

Don't get mad at the guy for stating his experience when someone is asking for other experiences from owners. If anything, Elmo is much more capable of answering the question than you because he has owned both. Same for me. Did I love my eco when it was running great? Absolutely. Did I love the power and low end torque. Absolutely. But there is a design flaw, and just because your truck doesn't see the same type of driving as another person, doesn't mean your truck is free of the issue and won't experience it.

The fact is, if I was brand new to the F150 world, I would want to know the experiences people have had. Good or bad.
__________________
2012 Screw FX4 5.0L
2011 XLT Supercrew w/ Ecoboost 4x4 - Traded
HunterSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA STATE
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSmitty View Post
I think its very well known there is an issue with the intercooler or something causing the misfire/bogging issue. Of course there are going to be issues here and there with a new engine whether it be 5.0L, eco, or 6.2L. But its also very evident that there is some sort of issue in their design of the Ecoboost, hence why you've already seen some TSB's come out about the Ecoboost programming/cat converter, and why there are more fixes coming supposedly.

Don't get mad at the guy for stating his experience when someone is asking for other experiences from owners. If anything, Elmo is much more capable of answering the question than you because he has owned both. Same for me. Did I love my eco when it was running great? Absolutely. Did I love the power and low end torque. Absolutely. But there is a design flaw, and just because your truck doesn't see the same type of driving as another person, doesn't mean your truck is free of the issue and won't experience it.

The fact is, if I was brand new to the F150 world, I would want to know the experiences people have had. Good or bad.
Thank you sir, much appreciated.
Elmo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I'll throw in my $0.02.
I had my choices narrowed down to two. A dark blue 5.0 and a silver EB, both XLT 4x4's. I was working from a dealers inventory with the sales manager who my father in law has known for 28 years and I've known for 10. I was reasonably certain I would get a good deal either way I went. I didn't want to order a truck because I simply didn't want to wait.
Anyway, I drove them both and liked them both. Very tough to decide, then I saw the Red Candy FX4. It was loaded up and more than I wanted to spend but I had to have it. It was the one. Just happened to be a 5.0 and I haven't looked back.
__________________
2012 FX4 5.0L SCrew Red Candy Metallic
TRex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
superccs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

My lifetime mileage is 14.3 on my EB which is essentially 90% short bouts of city driving. This is most likely because the engine never reaches temp. I am stuck in a college town and just use it as a grocery getter until I graduate. When I do get a chance to drive ~100 miles on the hwy the mileage seems to be closer to 18-19.
__________________
2011 FX2rbo Supercab
superccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
bcb97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillysmi
i have 5.0 fx4 crew. mileage sucks 16k miles avg lifetimempg is 12.6. mixed driving. i have tried to get better- going 55 down the road and resetting to see what current is. cannot get better than 17 going that slow.

with that said i pull a 4k boat and 20 ft trailer with atvs and it pulls hard and mileage pulling i can live with. 11.5 at 70-75 mph!
You're not doing something right. I drove 6 hours today from Tn to Ms and got great gas mileage.

5.0 v8 or ecoboost?-forumrunner_20120601_152736.jpg

I changed direction shortly after this into a head wind and it dropped to 19.2.
__________________
2011 5.0L 4x4 Off Road Package, Supercab. Mods: Weathertechs, Tint, Blinker Mod, JLT Oil Catch Can, Tonnopro Trifold Hard Cover

bcb97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I just got my new 2012 f150 with the 5.0 rear 3.55 , wheel base 157 18inch wheel
the saleman said you'll do just fine towing my 5wheel.
now after reading all these posting not sure! I have 6.5 bed thinking this would be ok so wouldn't have go with a slider type hitch. this is one question i have, the other is
my 5wheel has a dry wt of 6600lb. now my manual for my f150 states my max tow wt. is 7500 lb this doesn't sound good to me. any help will be welcome
Dnbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.