Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 or Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 5.0 or Ecoboost

I guess this is sort of a pole but I was wondering how many of you think the Ecoboost is worth $3400 more than the 5.0. I've recently learned that the 5.0 gets up to 21 mpg highway at 65 mph so you'd never break even on gas and a salesman (take it with a grain of salt) just told me that only one configuration (I think he said crew cab, short bed) of the E.B. is rated for the 11500lb towing and the others are very close to the 5.0s 7800lb
Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Here we go!

Let me try to quell this one.

$3400 more? No way! Eco is a $750 option. I have a feeling you may be comparing 2 different trucks at the same dealer lot. Comparably equipped, an Eco model should only be $750 more than a 5.0.

Forget gas mileage! You can scour through the posts on this website and the only thing you will learn is that you just wasted your time. Both engines do very well. Comparing them to each other is like arguing with children. Comparing either to a Dodge, Chevy, Etc. is worthwhile, Ford usually wins.

Towing capacity, they both tow the same. There is a difference in gearing capability each engine can do but if you are serious about towing, you will equip either vehicle accordingly and you will have the best 1/2 ton tower on the market.

Never believe a salesman for ANYTHING! They are there to make you feel good about your purchase and will give you the illusion you are getting what you want. A good consumer always knows more about the vehicle than the sales person they are buying the vehicle from.

As for the "only" configuration, totally wrong. Go to ford.com and build a truck. You will see the options to configure any model and any configuration to your hearts content and all pretty much as capable as the other.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BEDROCK
I guess this is sort of a pole but I was wondering how many of you think the Ecoboost is worth $3400 more than the 5.0. I've recently learned that the 5.0 gets up to 21 mpg highway at 65 mph so you'd never break even on gas and a salesman (take it with a grain of salt) just told me that only one configuration (I think he said crew cab, short bed) of the E.B. is rated for the 11500lb towing and the others are very close to the 5.0s 7800lb

1- EB is $750.00 more than 5.0 not $3400.00
2- EB is 11300 lbs with max tow (3.73, big ugly mirrors, reinforced bed and ...whatever I am forgetting.)
3- EB with 3.55 small pretty mirrors Lariat leather (mine) is rated at 9800 lbs. This info can be found here http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/
4- the max tow possible with the 5.0 is 9800 lbs
5- your salesman doesn't know his products. He was probably selling cell phones yesterday or is trying to steer you away from an EB to "move" the 5.0 on his lot.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Trout pretty much summed it up. The hp and mpg's are really close. You just have to decide how much you like the v8 sound versus slightly better mileage and more low-end torque. Beyond that, this has been discussed about eleventy billion times already.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by troutspinner
Here we go!

Let me try to quell this one.

$3400 more? No way! Eco is a $750 option. I have a feeling you may be comparing 2 different trucks at the same dealer lot. Comparably equipped, an Eco model should only be $750 more than a 5.0.

Forget gas mileage! You can scour through the posts on this website and the only thing you will learn is that you just wasted your time. Both engines do very well. Comparing them to each other is like arguing with children. Comparing either to a Dodge, Chevy, Etc. is worthwhile, Ford usually wins.

Towing capacity, they both tow the same. There is a difference in gearing capability each engine can do but if you are serious about towing, you will equip either vehicle accordingly and you will have the best 1/2 ton tower on the market.

Never believe a salesman for ANYTHING! They are there to make you feel good about your purchase and will give you the illusion you are getting what you want. A good consumer always knows more about the vehicle than the sales person they are buying the vehicle from.

As for the "only" configuration, totally wrong. Go to ford.com and build a truck. You will see the options to configure any model and any configuration to your hearts content and all pretty much as capable as the other.
+1 the salesman I bought my truck from didn't even know the steering wheel was manually telescoping..I actually had to show him because he insisted it wasn't
Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't know I had telescoping steering!

Go with the 5.0 and tell people you've got the mustang engine in your truck.

Go with the 3.5 and tell people you've got one badass v6 in your 1/2 ton.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Trout pretty much summed it up. The hp and mpg's are really close. You just have to decide how much you like the v8 sound versus slightly better mileage and more low-end torque. Beyond that, this has been discussed about eleventy billion times already.
Yup. I went with 5.0 and of course very happy with my decision and I have friends with the ecoboost and they are happy...if you're down closer to sea level power will be very close but here where I am at, 3300 ft above sea level, the ecoboost is making a good bit more power, turbos are making the needed atmosphere
Old 08-27-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Uh, the salesmen has to look up in the brochure the answer to any question you have. They are fully qualified tards, with exception of the fleet/internet sales managers the usually are slightly less tarded.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on preference and use. I can generalize and say that either will be great tools for you. I would decide based on a few different factors. One main thing that would drive my decision making process is the elevation i travel frequently in. If i were consistently driving through the mountains I would have bought the ecoboost without a doubt. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I chose the eco boost because I live in the mountains (twin turbos) and like the low end torque of the eco boost. If you take those two factors out of the equation the best way to decide between a 5.0 or eco is to flip a coin.

Quick Reply: 5.0 or Ecoboost